AAU Top 100

truthsquad

Truthsquad please enlighten us on who you are?

This is easy Bosken. He is someone who has an axe to grind with Tn Aau. He probably feels slighted or un-important and he cant stand it. There is probably a good reason he doesnt even know when his own regional meetings are. They probably dont tell him! lol I would also bet he is someone whose own son wrestled this past weekend and either didnt do very good or didnt win the best match award and daddy/coach/truthsquad is upset little Johhny didnt win! Thats usually what these kind of things boil down to. Bosken, please tell truthsquad who youthcoach and how to contact him before truthsquad makes himself look like more of an idiot than he already has. Isnt it funny how he hasnt responded to any of the things he has been "corrected" on. lol

I do not typically reply to these types of message boards, but I will to this one and I will sign my name:

1) Referees: Although we used as many TSSAA officials as were available, there were several TSSAA referees that cancelled due to personal illness, etc. There was also a local high school tournament at Halls in Knoxville requiring TSSAA refs and 2 AAU tournaments in Clarksville and East Ridge. ALL referees were AAU certified.

2) I have been to many tournaments and most do NOT have an ADULT at every table. We did the best we could with our gracious VOLUNTEERS.

3) We liked trackwrestling and the availability of the parents/coached use on their phones. It is my personal opinion that this system far outweighs any other paperless system we have used in the past. I am sorry that the monitor didn't have large enough numbers for you. I personally like the Team TN money to be spent on the wrestlers. The kids really are excited the cool Tour of TN medals this year, the belt series, the best wrestler trophies, duals medals, etc. Projector is a good idea with point taken.

Split gyms: Top 100 tournaments have grown to be large competitive events with at least 9 mats needed. The number 1 complaint by coaches and parents is the dreaded LONG hours. Very few schools in the state are able to handle this many mats & fan seating in 1 facility, so order to alleviate the long hours, we felt this was OUR best option. Realizing this is not an ideal situation, our complements on the efficiency of the tournament far outweighed the complaints about the split gyms.

4) hospitality- I am PROUD of our volunteers, (local businesses that made donations) and the homemade food our families provided. I am sorry that the 4 crockpots of "Cousin Kevin's Deer Chili" offended you. There were over 15 crockpots of other soups, beef chili, chicken chili, international dishes, fruits, desserts, sandwiches etc that apparently failed to impress you.

5) Coach Satterfield was attempting to showcase the kids in action and add excitement for the crowd. I've never been to a wrestling tournament that was quiet and sounded like a chess match.

6) justification for starting late: a) Kids entered in wrong divisions not reported during Friday weigh-ins, thus having to redo brackets after they were posted & B) satellite weigh-in issues & not having all kids info sent in to central hub (this has been addressed). This is a learning experience and I expect much improvement every tournament as the format becomes more familiar for satellite sites, coaches, parents, administrators, etc

7) Outstanding wrestler- Great concept to showcase the athletes in their competition. I love the interest this is generating. I don't who/what age you are referring to but: If coaches don't vote...what do you expect?

You can blame me for all of our inadequacies and issues, but DO NOT blame our volunteers, parents, kids for any inadequacies you have with this tournament. I feel that Pigeon Forge is blessed to have a great bunch of parents and volunteers that worked very hard on this event. And as with many other programs, we do the best that we can for the love of our kids and the love of this sport.

Thank you for all the Team TNAAU members that did an excellent job and continue to work for the growth of youth wrestling in this state. Tennessee youth wrestling has become more competitive than I have ever seen it due to many people involved working towards the common goal to unite the state.

May God Continue to Bless our Children and this Sport,

Greg Foreman

Pigeon Forge Wrestling / TNAAU Member

Thanks for volunteering (Greg, Mike, and everyone else) and all you guys do for wrestling. I know first hand the time and effort it takes and you can never be repaid. Also, great job on running a very successful tournament. What were my criteria for success?

1. No significant injuries - I did not see anyone leavening the gym on a stretcher.
  2. Each session ended at a reasonable time – I agree it did not start on time (heck, Dixie Nationals was an hour late with weigh-ins the night before). Yet, we got out of there at a reasonable hour. I care more about departure time over start time!
  3. Quality mat time / competition – The TOP 100 series has finally grown into to what we envisioned 5 years ago. Several of the finals matches were nail bitters and great competition all around. The quality has steadily improved over the past several years.

Here is my take on the list of issue from the original post and a resolution to each problem rather than a complaint. If something is broke, stop coming on coach-t and screaming it is broke. By all means point out the issue, but give at least one proposed solutions for each problem. Two or three solutions would be better

1 – Referees – Yes there were issues, but that happens with even TSSAA refs. For TOP 100, require that each ref has completed ‘X’ number novice / beginner tournaments before reefing a TOP 100. Also, I heard 5 refs had called out the morning of. There should be some sort of penalty for this.

2 - Kids working tables – I don’t like this either, but people need to step up. When we wrestled in California each club participating in the tournament had to provide the host club with table workers. Every club with 10 or more kids must provide 1 table worker. Every club with 20 or more kids participating must provide 2 table workers. This would be for TOP 100 only. Here’s the issue, who is going to step up and do this? Nobody. So they get people where they can.

3 – Bout board – I have run a number of tournaments and it is tough getting lighting and space for this. I find it curious that this poster claims to have run a number of tournaments, but I have not been to any in Tennessee run as well as the last 2 TOP 100 (other than the ones I run, just kidding). To fix this, the coaches need to tell their parents to pull out their smart phones. We live in the mobile age; the information is in the palm of their hands. Lets not lose gym floor space for bout boards. All we need is a wrestler knocking over a projector or making pictures with their hands in the light.

3 - Splitting gyms – This was a problem. I think we need to look at updating the rules for TOP 100 sites. The facility must support no less than 8 mats under one roof. If you have to go from main gym to auxiliary, OK. But they need to be under one roof.

4 – Hospitality – I can’t believe this is listed. Again, when we wrestled in California, there was no hospitality room for coaches. Maybe we should just stop hospitality room so nobody can complain about it. You can make coaches buy concession. Then use the extra concession money to pay the refs, that would make everyone happy right ;)

5 - Satterfield – Wow, John I guess you did something to piss this guy off. I suggest you two have an exhibition match during the intermission between the morning and afternoon session at the next TOP 100 tournament. We can charge a $3 admission fee and use the extra money to pay the refs ;)

6 - Starting on time – I hate this as well. Again I find it curious that you have run tournaments, or so you claim. It never fails that 5 min before start time some coach comes and complains about the brackets and demands they are changed. If they don’t accommodate him, he’s going to get on coach-t and complain about how bad the tournament was. So what are they supposed to do? There is no fix to this. Again, several of the top national tournaments even start late. It sucks but its part of it. 30 min late was not bad, and we still got out at a good time.

7 – OW and Best Match – It’s a fun award to do, but there is always going to be someone left out. That kids dad will be here on coach-t complaining, very similar to the initial post. Take it out of the coach’s hands. Have only the refs and tournament director vote on it.

Ok, this is my rant on this subject. My name is easy to figure out, so feel free to contact me if I can offer any other advice ;)

I know for a fact that our regional director was voted on because nobody wanted it and asked wes to do it again. This was at one of the meetings that I attended because I paid attention and made sure i was there at the appointed time. as far as refferees it goes both ways. I have seen some AAU refs that were not good at all and I have seen some that are some of the best I have seen. I can also make the same comments for TSSAA refs, some are great and some are bad and with both aau and tssaa some are ok and getting better. We dont have enough refs as it is in either organization so seeing young refs out there in my eyes is a great thing. There are even some TSSAA Refs out there who have never even wrestled before.

As far as the great refs in both AAU and TSSAA, the one thing they have in common is that they have been doing it for a looooong time. there is no substitute for experience. IF there are some young men out there learning how to ref. just think about when they are 30 years old and have 15 or more years of experience.

This is only my 5th season here in Tn after moving here from MI and i can honestly say that i have witnessed TN wrestling getting better each and every year. and that is due to the dedication to the sport of wrestling like the ones that have been already mentioned in these many posts.

Truthsquad, my name is Darrel Lauderdale. My email is seaauwrestling@gmail.com My cell phone number is 865-755-7872. You can contact me at anytime (reasonable hour please with the call/text).

EVERY TOURNAMENT THAT I HAVE EVER BEEN TO, AS A COACH OR DIRECTOR, HAS HAD SOME ISSUES. We have come a long way and WE HAVE LEARNED FROM MISTAKES AND WE LISTEN TO ALL SUGGESTIONS. ALL!!

About the Top 100 event in Pigeon Forge. I was one of the directors and here are the only complaints that was brought to my attention or that I recognized

The late start in the AM. Communication could help solve this issue. 2 reasons for the late start : 1. A few (7-8) wrestlers who weighed in at one of the satellite weigh-in sites did not get entered because their weights dod not get entered. So, here we are ready to go and then we get "hey our kid weighed in but he is not on the bracket", so, now we have to go in, add the name, renumber the bracket and repost the brackets. Then we are ready to go and then, we get "hey, my kid is not on the brackets" So, once again, we have to, enter the name, renumber the brackets, and post the brackets. Takes time to get things done right and correct. IMPROVED COMMUNICATION WOULD HELP THIS MATTER. THE BRACKETS WERE POSTED ON TRACK BY 10:45 ON FRIDAY NIGHT. IF EVERY COACH, WRESTLER, AND PARENT KNEW THIS AND KNEW HOW TO GO TO TRACK AND VIEW THEM THE ERRORS COULD BE CAUGHT EARLIER, CORRECTED, AND THE START TIME WOULD BE OK.

That goes along with ENTERING YOUR WRESTLER ON TIME. Due to weather, we extended the registration.

The officials: we had 14 officials lined up. on Friday, we had 9 that were going to be here. We scrambled and found 12 total, I believe. I have run over 100 events, including local youth and high school events and including National AAU events, and a few USA FS/GR events. I KNOW FOR A FACT BETTER OFFICIALS = BETTER EVENT. Now we could have, just used the 9 TSSAA officials which would have made us to use only 6 mats. Which would have meant, extending the time of the running of the event an additional 6 -8 hours. We chose to go with 9 mats and scrambled to find the better officials that we could.

2 Gyms, made this a logistical challenge, especially for the coaches. I do agree I wish this could have been better communicated prior to so coaches could make plans to have a coach at both gyms. To this I agree.

Back to the officials. I had 2 situations, protests, because of a disputed call. Both complaints involved TSSAA certified officials. In both cases the coaches did not agree with the judgement calls of the officials. JUDGEMENT CALLS! REF WINS. One coach even demanded the match be re-wrestled because.... He even went and brought me a video to watch. I told him I will watch it but the call will stand. After watching it I told him, you know how I would have called it, AN ESCAPE AND NOT A REVERSAL (JUST AS TH REF HAD CALLED IT) YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET EVERY CALL, TRUST ME I KNOW THIS.

Table workers: Young yes. Could have done better: yes. However, I believe they did a wonderful job using a new system. I heard 0 complaints concerning table workers until I get on here and read your statement(s).

AS FAR AS YOUR STATEMENT CONCERNING YOUR WILLINGNESS TO SHARE YOUR TREMENDOUS IDEAS OF HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE BASED ON YOUR OPINION, AS FAR AS I KNOW, YOU HAVE NEVER APPROACHED ME OR CONTACTED ME WITH ANY (OF COURSE I DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE NAME YOU USE ON COACH T, HOWEVER I KNOW IF THIS WAS YOUR REAL NAME, I WOULD REMEMBER YOU). YOU, ONCE AGAIN MAY CONTACT ME AT ANYTIME. I, WE DO LISTEN TO SUGGESTIONS AND IF THEY ARE GOOD SUGGESTIONS IT WILL BE SHARED AMONG THE BOARD, IF IF SO AGREED, WILL BE USED.

EACH REGION HAS A MEETING AND THE MEETING TIME AND SITE ARE POSTED ON THE WEB SITE. IF YOU WISH A PERSONAL EMAIL ANNOUNCING THE INFO PLEASE CONTACT YOUR REGIONAL REP. NO, THERE IS NO LONGER AN OPEN MEETING SET TO DUE THE COST (TIME, TRAVEL, MONEY), SO INSTEAD, WE HAVE REGIONAL MEETINGS THAT ARE OPEN. EACH SUGGESTION YOU WISH TO SHARE, PLEASE SHARE AT THAT TIME.

I KNOW THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING OF YOUTH WRESTLING IN TENNESSEE AND THIS ORGANIZATION. IT WAS I AND FEW OTHERS (VANDERGRIFF, CARPENTER, HUMPHRIES, TO NAME A FEW) WHO STARTED TEAMTN AND I KNOW MISTAKES HAVE BEEN MADE. I ALSO KNOW FROM EACH OF THOSE MISTAKES, WE HAVE LEARNED AND IMPROVED WHAT WE OFER AND WHAT WE DO.

As far as your statement concerning no other events offered on the date of a Top 100 event. The Regional Directors voted this in to encourage participation in the Top 100 tournaments. Just like we used to do by not allowing another event in the same region on the same day. If you believe this should be changed, please contact your regional rep. Again: ALL COMPLAINTS AND SUGGESTIONS ARE HEARD.

Oh, and the complaint about what font to use on a flyer: That is not a mandate from TeamTN, it is a request from the VOLUNTEER who has to post the flyers on the web site. Is it really to much to ask for event directors to use the requested font to make the life of the VOLUNTEER who runs our web site a little easier.

Once again you have my contact info. If you TRULY want to share please call, however if all you want to do is #### about an officials call or bad hospitality room chili, please call. I will hear you out, take notes, and pass along your suggestions.

Edited by galloppingghost77

Truthsquad... Are you traveling to Memphis this weekend? I know between the middle school dual championships and the Williamson Central beginner/DEVELOMENTAL tournament you might not know it, but there is a Region4/5 Top 100 event in Region 5. If so, please feel free to stop by the control room or find me near a mat... I will be the guy with the camo long sleeve and purple hat on!

A perfect example of how we listen. Last years state tournament was held at Stone Memorial High School, which has an outstanding facility and a group of wonderful people who know how to make a person feel welcome!! However, the state event has simply outgrown the facility. The complaints about last years state, the 2 most commonly shared, dealt with time spent at the event and the crowed facility. So, how did TeamTN respond, this years event will be held in Cookeville at a site that will allow us to use 12-14 mats, one room, and upstairs seating (Thank God!)! We do listen

It cost more for this site but its money well worth it because our customers were wanting a larger venue which will only make the vent easier and more enjoyable for ALL.

The AAU Officials developmental program has been working well and we have some really good young officials and we have some that need more time. We have several TSSAA officials in the greater Knoxville area that got their start in our AAU wrestling program. In our area we need more TSSAA officials, so we use our AAU tournaments to help in this manner.

On Saturday, there was 1 high school wrestler calling matches. Not my first choices but when officials cancel out at such a late time, you do what you can do. 7 of the officials were TSSAA, including Don Elsea, who was the Head Official. The remaining ones are former high school wrestlers who are either in college or have graduated college, including Luke Hall (who does a wonderful job) and BJ Malone (who also does a wonderful job).

We are getting better and better with the Track System. One thing I have suggested is, at each Top 100 event or any event that uses Track within Tennessee, we need coaches to identify the really good table workers. At the 3 (2 Top 100 and the Soddy Tournament) events that I have been to this year, it has taken until the end of the first session before all the table workers become comfortable using Track. By the time the event ends, they are really good at it. So, if we can identify the better table workers, maybe TeamTN can help get them to work a table at the State Tournament. This way, we have experienced table staff at each table.

I want this State Tournament to be the most competitive, best run, and largest State Tournament ever held.

I appreciate everything John Satterfield does and has done for the youth wrestlng program in Tennessee. He is another of the MANY givers who never asked for anything and IS ALWAYS WILLING TO HELP OUT WHENEVER ANS WHEREVER HE CAN! Instead of getting on some public forum and bitching about problems he identifies solutions and suggests them.

Now "truth" I would like to learn more form you, if you are willing to share info, on the bout board changes you say can be made to make all the events better. I agree, the 20 inch monitor was not enough and I too want to make communication of bouts better for ALL.

Again, I have posted my contact info on here and await your call/contact.