Miss Basketball Thread for 2012-13

CoachT

Gonna put in a couple of plugs for the often forgotten and under-rated northeast corner of the state. In A, Dorothy Dugger at Hampton is having a phenomenal year. Not sure of the stats, although I think she is averaging about 20 points a night, but I know she is putting up big numbers.

In AA, I have not seen her myself but I have heard big things about the young lady at Grainger and her team is certainly the class of AA up here.

In AAA, there was a previous post advocating Ashlee Mitchell's candidacy. She is definitely a deserving candidate. She is the only starter back from a team that won 26 games last year and yet has led her team to a 21-4 record with the only losses being to Science Hill (twice; state's #2 ranked team), Elizabethton, and Dutch Fork, SC (who is undefeated and ranked #1 in their state and the defending state champs). They also have victories over a very good Franklin Co. VA team, Fairfield Central from SC, CAK, Knox Webb, Siegel, and Fulton. She stuffs the stat sheet every night averaging about 17 points, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, and 4.5 assists.

Science Hill's Tianna Tarter would also be a good choice. They have had a remarkable season and have beaten a few nationally and state ranked teams. She is the engine that makes their very balanced team go.

Gonna put in a couple of plugs for the often forgotten and under-rated northeast corner of the state. In A, Dorothy Dugger at Hampton is having a phenomenal year. Not sure of the stats, although I think she is averaging about 20 points a night, but I know she is putting up big numbers.

In AA, I have not seen her myself but I have heard big things about the young lady at Grainger and her team is certainly the class of AA up here.

In AAA, there was a previous post advocating Ashlee Mitchell's candidacy. She is definitely a deserving candidate. She is the only starter back from a team that won 26 games last year and yet has led her team to a 21-4 record with the only losses being to Science Hill (twice; state's #2 ranked team), Elizabethton, and Dutch Fork, SC (who is undefeated and ranked #1 in their state and the defending state champs). They also have victories over a very good Franklin Co. VA team, Fairfield Central from SC, CAK, Knox Webb, Siegel, and Fulton. She stuffs the stat sheet every night averaging about 17 points, 5 rebounds, 5 steals, and 4.5 assists.

Science Hill's Tianna Tarter would also be a good choice. They have had a remarkable season and have beaten a few nationally and state ranked teams. She is the engine that makes their very balanced team go.

Haven't seen Tarter or Mitchell this year but have seen Dugger and agree 100%.

The only downfall of Hodge is if she is even the best player on her own team. She is a GREAT player but there are many many nights when she is not their leading scorer or even looks to be the best of the floor. Johnson and Lamb can definitely steal the show on that team. I believe what makes Hodge's numbers so appealing (which I don't think would happen if she were on just any other team, she would draw a double team every possession) is that you can't focus strictly on her. If Hodge were drawing double teams and putting up big numbers, there would be no argument. You simply can not do this vs. Grainger. All of their players have to be respected equally. (For what it's worth, I only saw them at Christmas and one other time).

Saw Tarter last year at the state tournament and she is definitely a deserving candidate and have heard nothing but great things about Ashlee Mitchell.

These stats are very impressive for a freshman for sure but you have to admit VanBuren doesnt exactly play a very tough schedule either. I would put Jackson Countys Kassidy Allen in the same class as this young lady. She is very solid both offensively and more importantly defensively. Who knows maybe in 3 years these two might just be finalist themselves!

.....or maybe on the same Single A team???? Lol, couldn't resist! The best in middle TN always wind up at Jackson Co. Lol

Rachel Bell is the best girls high school basketball player I have ever seen. I have not seen the other girls that are mentioned in this thread. I have seen a lot of girls basketball. When I was in high school the girls played 6 on 6. That should give some insight to my age. 1 game this year at Columbia, Rachel had her teams first 17 points, she finished that game with 33 and Creek Wood defeated Columbia 52-47. Against Sycamore this year Rachel had 30 of her teams first 32 points and the game went into overtime tied at 37. In another game at Camden this year, a Camden player had 16 points at the half and it was a 2 point game at the half. Creek Wood went man to man in the second half and Rachel held that player to 0 points in the second half. Just to mention a few things I have seen that I will remember for a long time. She plays much like Koby Bryant. Very athletic and very aware of the game situation. She can bring the ball down court, she can post up, she can shoot the 3, she can take the ball to the basket, she is a great passer, she can play lockdown defense. I have seen her shoot a fade away 3 after a crossover dribble and a stepback. She does a very good job keeping her teamates involved. She makes very difficult plays look easy. She was a finalist last year and she has had many D1 schools come to see her play. She scored her 1000th point early in the season and she is a Junior. Good luck to all of the players mentioned.

Rachel Bell is the best girls high school basketball player I have ever seen. I have not seen the other girls that are mentioned in this thread. I have seen a lot of girls basketball. When I was in high school the girls played 6 on 6. That should give some insight to my age. 1 game this year at Columbia, Rachel had her teams first 17 points, she finished that game with 33 and Creek Wood defeated Columbia 52-47. Against Sycamore this year Rachel had 30 of her teams first 32 points and the game went into overtime tied at 37. In another game at Camden this year, a Camden player had 16 points at the half and it was a 2 point game at the half. Creek Wood went man to man in the second half and Rachel held that player to 0 points in the second half. Just to mention a few things I have seen that I will remember for a long time. She plays much like Koby Bryant. Very athletic and very aware of the game situation. She can bring the ball down court, she can post up, she can shoot the 3, she can take the ball to the basket, she is a great passer, she can play lockdown defense. I have seen her shoot a fade away 3 after a crossover dribble and a stepback. She does a very good job keeping her teamates involved. She makes very difficult plays look easy. She was a finalist last year and she has had many D1 schools come to see her play. She scored her 1000th point early in the season and she is a Junior. Good luck to all of the players mentioned.

I was at the Columbia game, and the fade away 2 in the corner that she hit with less than 20 seconds to go was one of the most difficult/clutch shots I have ever seen. If anyone gets a chance to watch CW play, you need to. Bell can take the game over whenever she wants to.

Guess we dont have to speculate any longer

Class A Miss Basketball Finalists

Jaycee Coe, Jackson County

Sarah Raby, Moore County

Brooke Rhodes, Cloudland

Class AA Miss Basketball Finalists

Brandi Goodman, Obion County

Elizabeth Masengil, McMinn Central

Abbey Sissom, Cannon County

Class AAA Miss Basketball Finalists

Nina Davis, Memphis Central

Olivia Jones, Riverdale