Maryville vs Clinton

REBELRON

Weed - you were the one asking about Maryville - and I told you what I know. I went to Maryville and I think I know better than most outsiders how the system works. Maryville is definately run on the good ole boy system (give me a TN school that isn't)- but there is nothing wrong or unfair with Maryville's athletic teams. You told me not to kid myself, i.e. that athletes would be given admittance over any other students, but that is flat out not true. Maryville has built its program on excellence, in an honest, hard working way, and it's wrong to imply otherwise when you don't have anything to suggest that Maryville has gotten their success in less than fair ways. A team like maryville cannot have the level of success it has (and the level of publicity) unless they comply with the rules. Do you honestly think that if there was anything wrong with Maryville that it would be brought out now? If anything was wrong, it would have been an issue long ago. Don't speculate on perceptions - speculate on facts (and often you'll find that what you think is fact, isn't really true)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blount County all star team? Why the crap would players want to come to Maryville and play for that "all star team when they could go to either William Blount or Heritage, whichever they wanted, and start their own? There are no grants or scholarships given for athletes at Maryville high school or to come to Maryville high school. Our tuition is also one of the highest in the state. Like I've said there have been three incoming transfers twins from out of state, don't start, and a linebacker who is second string and not very good at all, he came from Heritage. There have been many many more people drop out of Maryville opposed to coming to Maryville. One great baseball and football player would have played for Maryville, but before his 9th grade year, he decided to transfer to Heritage. You think Maryville is the best academic school in the state because we have an all county all star smart team? Knox. schools have just as many kids as we do, besides kids are constantly changing from one Knox. school to another because of discipline problems, Oak Ridge and West to name a few. Does Maryville cheat in basketball too, where every single team they play has a high enrollment than they do? If you think Maryville cheats then they do...but don't think the highschool cheats, kids don't transfer into highschool often, they put their kids in the Maryville system early, when they don't even know if they will play football, and they grow into things and they sometimes do end up playing. Truth of the matter is, Maryville has a good academic program which attracts a lot of families, so they put their kids in the system early on, the biddy leagues in Maryville are competitive and the kids learn a lot, all through school they are taught football, basketball, baseball, etc. When high school hits, they are at the top of their game. Also Maryville knows how to keep most their kids whereas Knox. schools have numerous kids stop playing for numerous reasons!

Maryville does not offer scholarships to players. Nor do they recruit. And it is much more difficult to get in by way of tuition these days. They raise the tuition nearly every year to cut back on the number of students they have. i think it is at around 1500 a semester now. Joey Fiegler the freshman quarterback at Alcoa told me once he tried to go to maryville but the list was way too long. and check alcoa's roster. most of their players live in the county. maryville's administration wants to be known as an academic school not a football school and i trust the credibility of our coaching staff, our athletic director and administration. to insinuate otherwise bgiddy or whatever your name is would be an insult.

And another thing. believe it or not some people send their kids to maryville schools for academic reasons. i heard from good sources that coach fulmer wanted to build his house in the county but could not be guarnateed that his daughters would be able to get into maryville schools as tuition students so he built in the city instead. coach fulmer recruits. maryville i assure you does not. but if you are looking for an excuse for 20 straight wins and three of the past four state championships. go for it!

I have kept very quiet about this topic until now. When an uninformed person specifically posts incorrect information about a named individual it is time to make the correction.

It was noted that student-athletes like "Wrobleski and McMahan" went to a county school because they could not handle the academics at Maryville. Wrong wrong wrong wrong!

Shannon and David were both very good high school students. Wrobleski's ACT score was within 1 point of a perfect score. Both students are currently in the engineering cirriculum at Tennessee Tech.

A little advice .... better check with the State of Tennessee, the test scores of the Maryville city school students ARE NOT better than the two Blount County schools. All are comparable.

I will leave the recruiting argument to others. It is a very old and tired issue.

How in the heck did recruiting get in this thread?

Maryville doesn't recruit. There may be a few county kids but most players live in the city. Only people whose team was whipped by Maryville accuses them of recruiting.

TrueRebelPlaya has a point. There were kids who transfered to other schools because they didn't want to go through hard work. Maryville's football coaches set up workout schedules for each player. Some kids didn't like that so they transfer to other schools who have country club practices.

The major difference between Maryville and other schools is coaching.All Maryville kids dream about being Rebels one day.At Maryville kids go out for football whether they are great athletes or not. Other schools probably has a ton of kids who are athletic who walk the halls.

Everybody accuses Maryville of recruiting because they are winning. Was these people accusing Maryville of recruiting in 1989,1990,1993 and 1996 when they went 5-5? What about when Maryville went 20 years without state titles? Were people accusing Maryville of recruiting in them years?

Don't you people think if Maryville recruited all these years there wouldn't have been 5-5 records?

Coaching is why Maryville is winning. Quarles and his staff are the best. Cleveland was dominant when Benny Monroe was there but when he left they went downhill fast. Marion County is not the same since Ken Colquette left. Haywood County has not been the same since Phil Massey left.

Austin East was great when Sam Anderson was there.When he left they went downhill.AE went 1-9 in 1998. There were other lean years but when Stanton Stevens went to AE in 1999 he turned it around quickly and won a 3A state title last season.

hsbbweb, I checked with the State of Tennessee and Maryville's test scores are a lot better than Blount County's. See the following website: http://www.state.tn.us/education/tstvaas.htm

You'll see that Maryville City Schools are well above average, and Blount County Schools are lacking in most areas.

Education was the main reason my parents paid tuition for me to go to MHS, and having a great athletic program was also nice too.

[Edited by Rebel96 on 10-29-02 5:13P]

Alright Wroblowski was a smart kid (bad example) but Mr. Ganja and Btard don't know what they are talking about. There is no BC all-star team. You act like Maryville is the only city system within a county. Whats your beef???? You are not very bright and you probably aren't even reading the other post. My CS story should have helped you understand that your post are stupid and you should be banned from using the computer. Maybe if your local school or community was the #9 community in the country and had wonderful schools, pee wee programs, and facilities that fostered champoinships then you probably wouldn't post. It's always fans from some hole-in-the-wall place with a lot of anna on their chest who do this crap. I went to Maryville and know that their are no scholarships. Can you please not say stuff that you have no idea about?

Well if you can't beat us on the field try to find something else wrong. Maryville takes tuition students but many are turned away. Tuition is $1800.00 per year so that stops a lot of people, plus that figure continues to rise. But when you have, according to the Nashville Tennessean, the top public school system in Tennessee, you have a lot of parents trying to provide their children with the best education they can. That goes for kids within Maryville and outside the city limits. I even know of cases where some have moved to Maryville for no other reason than to make sure their kids get in the Maryville City Schools. As far as the county schools being on par with Maryville in TCAP testing that is laughable. Just check it out. Go Rebs.

My, my, looks like I've angered a few of the rebel faithful. Defend it however you choose and talk about how great the academics are and how everything is just peachy in Maryville. I really could care less. My point was, and still is, that Maryville operates on a different set of guidelines than the teams in their region. Read this next part very slow: NO KNOXVILLE TEAM IS ALLOWED THE LUXURY OF TAKING KIDS FROM OUTSIDE OF THEIR ASSIGNED SCHOOL ZONE. Maryville's coaches are excellent, but bring them up to a Knoxville school and see how many state championships they win. You could send any moron to Maryville with a "Coaching for Dummies" book in his hand and he could win a state championship with the athletes out there. In fact, based on some of the posts I've seen, some of you may qualify.

BG don't try to tell me there's no recruiting in Knox County. Lyin' Larry had Randy Hall from Norris in '86 playing for the Red Devils. Plus he had numerous "recruits" from Anderson County playing at Halls during his tenure there. Now he hits Campbell County hard every summer. Todd Helton played for Farragut and mysteriously ended up at Central later on. Reggie Cobb was supposed to go to Fulton like his little brother Ty who is now at Fulton. So don't get to throwin' rocks when you live in a glass house. Go Rebs.