Liberty Defeats Southside In The District Championship Game

nebuntyn

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK,here's my take...no team in the district is as solid as in the recent past,all for different reasons.Southside definatly has the talent,but the coaching is a joke.I was amazed at the lack of team ball from them tonight on offense.Every set ended with a one-on-one battle for the shot,or a long contested three,the worst set tonight had them on offense for over .30 seconds and the best they could do was a 28 footer.Liberty plays well togther and has excellent guards but not enough inside presence.They swarm on defense and run the break well,but too often the guards have to manufacture points in the halfcourt sets.Bolivar falls off too much talent-wise when they go to the bench.The offense is crisp,Dez is good but not great,and a 'couple of others contribute well,but the most dangerous weapon on the bench wears loafers,not sneakers.Fayette Ware has a big post who's good on 'D,some athletic role players,and a point who can play but coaching(not as bad as SS),isn't their strong point either.Live by the three...die by the three,if it's falling they score well inside too,if it's not they're in trouble.On a good night any of the four can beat the others,and would be a dangerous opponent for anybody in the state,I just don't see a four or five game streak of great basketball from any of them this season.

With all the Talent SS has it goes to Show a Coach is needed .Too bad the Talent is All Stacked Up This Year Without a Coach and Now We see what happens!!Please get lucky in the Regions cause We know we will get OUTCOACHED and outsmarted by a coach with his eyes wide open!!!Fuller time outs are FREE why not use them! They don't carry over to the next game! Try stopping a 9-0 run with one WE might Win.

Edited by superrog

For the last 8 years Liberty has been the "elite AA school" in the state. They've won 3 state titles, finished as runner-up once, and been to the state semifinals once. They've sent numerous guys to the college level and always done it the right way with an "in your face" defensive approach to the game. Dexter layed the foundation to what's going to always be one of the state's elite basketball programs. Congrats to the Crusaders on winning what to many was a "very unexpected" District Championship.

I feel that this district will produce the AA State Champion. All four teams on any given night can beat anyone and that's a credit to the kids and coaching. SS does impress you with its talent and should be the odds on favorite to win the state title. Fuller deserves credit for guiding them thus far. SS in playing without tremendous pressure now(they are the hunted) Will the live up to that pressure? We will see. Liberty and Bolivar........enough said........ they are the standard when it comes to this district and state for that matter with multiple state championships. Rudesil is great coach and what Greene has done with Libertyhas been fantastic considering the change of coaches in consecutive years. FW is steadily improving and with the influx of talent they have now and in the upcoming years; they should be contenders for years to come. Don't really know too much about the coach. Most coaches will tell you that they get all or most of the blame with things are going bad and some or no credit when its smooth sailing, for example ..(he should win look at all that talent, I could could coach them) but that the nature of the beast. Its a what have you done for me lately type of position.

The biggest key to advancing to the state is hosting the sectional. It hass been big for Mitchell the last 4 times we advanced. One more thing also havibg me here at Mitchell (I always kid the coaches). I eftin 08 after 3 straight trips to state. The 3 years I was gone we did not advance. I return back to Mitchell last year, we advance....LOL. They won't fire me now. ..LOL Just need gold ball.

The biggest key to advancing to the state is hosting the sectional. It hass been big for Mitchell the last 4 times we advanced. One more thing also havibg me here at Mitchell (I always kid the coaches). I eftin 08 after 3 straight trips to state. The 3 years I was gone we did not advance. I return back to Mitchell last year, we advance....LOL. They won't fire me now. ..LOL Just need gold ball.

So Galilee you are the Head Coach at Mitchell? Why would a powerhouse program like Mitchell move down to A and not stay AA? Your district will be so weak next year that your starters won't get to play but about a quarter a game with the exception of the BTW game. If I was a Mitchell player and saw that weak schedule I would leave. Good players like you have want to play good competition and obviously AA in Memphis has it. It does not have good A basketball with the exception of BTW and occasionally Westwood. Just curious. I suspect Mitchell will make it to the Boro again this year and make some noise in AA. Moving down is disrespect to the program in my opinion.

No I am not the coach, we have a great coach in F. Phillips. a rising star. A lot of AA schools ae trying to steal him. His staffis also good with former mitchell and memphis State great Andre Turner and former mcdonalds AA Duece Ford. I was the AD at Mitchell from 97-2008 but moved to Pittsburgh for 3 years and returned last year. I am now an administrator. Our enrolment has fallen tremendously, when I left in 08 we had 1200 students, now we have less than 500. Our enrollment is picking back up and we will only be down for 2 years. Our schedule next yera is awesome with Melrose, Hamilton, Whitehaven, Poular Bluff Classic, and we are working on CPA and JSS, so e will be ok. Single A get ready

So Galilee you are the Head Coach at Mitchell? Why would a powerhouse program like Mitchell move down to A and not stay AA? Your district will be so weak next year that your starters won't get to play but about a quarter a game with the exception of the BTW game. If I was a Mitchell player and saw that weak schedule I would leave. Good players like you have want to play good competition and obviously AA in Memphis has it. It does not have good A basketball with the exception of BTW and occasionally Westwood. Just curious. I suspect Mitchell will make it to the Boro again this year and make some noise in AA. Moving down is disrespect to the program in my opinion.

Totally agree with you TCAIntense.

And to everybody else. its weird that South Side have a Mr. Basketball finalist and one of the best sophomores in the state in Hicks (you can put McNeal in the top ten). But terrible coaching. Is it me, or is South Side playing a little P.E. basketball?