Great players never to go to play in college.

Parkdog3412

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamont Gray from Franklin County was a man he was 6'1 235 and ran about 4.5 and had great feet back in 1996. If he had grades he could have went places....

Also SAm Pickett from south pittsburg i was him in the east-west game he was a legit 4.4 40,,,,south pitt also had a great baseball player named Bradley Green that beat me for the state championship in 1996 that did not do much

Anyone remember Houston High Schools' do it all player three or four years ago? I remember his first name was Jamie? Maybe Jaime Savage or something. The kid was lightening quick, and I think had 3 punt returns/ kickoff returns in the playoffs to lead his team to the semi-finals...I remember he was number 21, surely a 5A guy can help me out here.

Another one, who I hope makes something of himself would be Undray Wright of Collierville. Wright was the leading returning rusher for CHS this year, but was kicked off the team for wearing an ear ring to summer school. Wright was a pretty good player, and could have played in college somewhere if he could get his grades together.

Guest jaygeorge

There are quite a few seniors at Shelbyville Central that could play at the next level.(Derek Wessels,Shane Storey,Kirk Embry,Joey Edwards,Jeffrey Jackson,Josh Cooke) These young men are very talented and athletic, and its suprising to see the potenial that goes to waste.

Boneal52... You are right about Orlando... tons of talent and physical ability! He came from a great family and I wish he could have played beyond high school.

Spring Hill had several great athletes who could have played at the next level had things happened differently, and in some cases, better choices made in high school and thereafter. Dewrell Webster may have been one of the best RB's I have every coached! Great speed, very strong, but an injury cost him 8 football games his senior year. Charles Mitchell didn't make it through his Freshman year at Tech, but could have been great if he had taken school seriously.

The problem is not always with the athletes... sometimes any injury ends a young man's career. Sometimes they make bad choices in life... drugs, lack of effort in school, lack of effort in the weight room, or maybe just a lack of focus in life. Coaches and teachers can help by stressing the importance of these things, but boys are going to be more influenced by their peers. The old saying is very true, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." One of the reasons that so many private schools have athletes do well in college is because they place such an emphasis on academics and they usually have a lot of parental involvement throughout the high school experience.

My advice to young athletes is the same every year... "Work hard in the weight room, run throughout the year (work up to two miles a day three to four days a week), and study! Never take your education for granted. Establish both academic and athletic goals and work hard to see your dreams come true."

[Edited by ELA on 11-2-02 8:28A]

Of course that was a joke, but it was aimed at the idiots that get on here and tell of a kid running 4.1 or 4.2. If that is true, they would be running against Maurice Greene in the Olympics.....Tim Neighbors was a phenom. About 6'3" and 225. Tried to play after chemotheropy and lost down to about 170. He had more guts than any kid I have ever seen. Died, I think, when he was 18 or 19 years old......Parkdog, what about the game and the officiating.

[Edited by mrsoddydaisy on 11-2-02 5:59P]