Great players never to go to play in college.

Parkdog3412

Here is a great one. Anthony Oggs - Sweetwater. One of the best players to ever come out of Sweetwater, had a motor cycle accident was paralized and never got to go to college. State runner-up in 1970, State Champs in 1971, and 1972. Scored 247 points in his senior season, still number 3 all time in Tennessee, the two above him, and the two below him, all had there seasons in the late 90's. Not positive they played more games, but a good chance, Oggs did his in 13 games, and in the early 70's! I have never had a chance to see him run, to young, and havn't seen any films, but from what I've heard he was awesome! :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orlando Waters- Centennial High 1997, 1998

Franklin High 2000

Orlando had all the potential in the world to be a great one. All the way through pee wee's and middle school he was the next great back in Williamson County. Went to BGA in middle school for two years and did quite well there but got in some trouble and wound up at Freedom Middle in 8th grade. At that young of an age, he was about 180lbs playing middle school running back, which is massive. Not to mention the fact that he was only a step slower than our other RB, Marcelle Scales who was the fastest player in the state his senior year. Unfortunately Orlando made some bad decisions in high school and never produced to be what he could have been. Showed flashes of brilliance at TB and FB and QB at Centennial. Also played all DB and LB spots on defense. Never took it seriously enough and never got in the weight room enough, though he was quite strong still. Left Centennial and played his senior year at Franklin High where he had moderate success, I think a little over 1000 yards, but anyone who knows him will always wonder what could've been.

Guest Tristan15

One of the best players that I had a chance to watch was Adam Wilson from Anderson County. Great height, awesome speed, and could catch anything thrown his way. I don't know why he never went to school anywhere, maybe someone from up in the A/C area could help me out on this one.

Dee Parker played at Red Bank I think 2 years, I believe I was told once he could have been playing at Tyner. These are estimates/vague memories as he played around 94 or 95. 6'3, 240, very physical tight end and defense end, maybe he played some linebacker too. His speed was in the 4.6 or 4.7 range and he was a great wrestler, showing his athletic ability. It seems like Arkansas was high on his list, but he didn't have the grades or there may have been other problems. I think he ended up committing to UTC, but some board there ruled he couldn't attend. Too bad. Not long after that he was arrested for raping a woman at knifepoint and sent off. I have no idea if he's still in the pen or not, but he had the potential to be in the NFL. Dante Hickey, Cleveland running back around 94, is another such player, but I think he played a little in junior college. This guy was Pro Bowl potential. Chad Henderson is another, Lincoln County linebacker.

It had to be Burl "Big Eyes" Avery, who was a star running back with Culleoka. He had these eyes, kind of like Steve Buscemi in Mr. Deeds. They were like swivels which gave him great peripheral vision, he could see easily at 270 degrees.

Nobody could get an angle on him cause he knew you was coming before you even started!

He ran to McDonalds every morning in 2:14, could bench press the transmission from a GMC truck and could jump five strands of barbwire fencing standing still!

I saw him score eleven touchdowns against the State Aggies one night, and that was with a blister on his big toe the size of a silver dollar!

They just don't make em like Big Eyes any more!

Posted by Indian:

Dee Parker played at Red Bank I think 2 years, I believe I was told once he could have been playing at Tyner. These are estimates/vague memories as he played around 94 or 95. 6'3, 240, very physical tight end and defense end, maybe he played some linebacker too. His speed was in the 4.6 or 4.7 range and he was a great wrestler, showing his athletic ability. It seems like Arkansas was high on his list, but he didn't have the grades or there may have been other problems. I think he ended up committing to UTC, but some board there ruled he couldn't attend. Too bad. Not long after that he was arrested for raping a woman at knifepoint and sent off. I have no idea if he's still in the pen or not, but he had the potential to be in the NFL. Dante Hickey, Cleveland running back around 94, is another such player, but I think he played a little in junior college. This guy was Pro Bowl potential. Chad Henderson is another, Lincoln County linebacker.

Indian...I forgot all about Chad henderson. I remember seeing him on the cover of a recruiting magazine. What ever happened to him?

There was a player at Clinton High School in the early 90s who blew a golden opportunity. He helped lead the 1992 team to the 3A state championship game where they eventually fell to Gallatin. He was recruited by several D1 schools, but...due to grades he went to a JC in Iowa. I believe he lasted about a semester or so. After that, I'm not even going there--that is another thread or another time and place--if you know what I mean.