West Tennessee is DOMINATE in high school basketball

ReitzFan

Just found it funny a poster a few days ago was wondering where all the great ball players in Memphis go after high school..that he/she nvr hears from a lot of them afterwards..just like in a game statistics don't lie...and being a large city has nothing to do with high crime rate...cities much much larger than Memphis nvr sniffed the list

Perception isn't always reality.I understand what you are saying though. UT has finished in the top 6 in attendance for 7 straight years. It has been proven if UT puts out a good product in basketball the fans will support it bigtime. I remember seeing Stokley Center packed to the gills when Ray Mears was coaching there. I also remember when Don Devoe started out at UT he won lots of games and Stokley was packed. What hurt Devoe is he never really adjusted to the shot clock and 3 point line. Devoe loved defensive basketball. A 45-40 game was his type of game.

After Devoe UT had a bad run of coaches. Wade Houston the worst coach in UT Basketball history. Kevin Oneill wasn't a terrible coach but he is a basket case big time. He was a heck of a recruiter. He set up the next coach in Jerry Green. Jerry Green had some success but got lazy and didn't recruit. Buzz Peterson was in over his head. Bruce Pearl came to UT and started kicking some tail. I thought back in 2007-2008 that one day Bruce Pearl would lead UT to a National Title. I thought Bruce Pearl would do for UT Basketball that Jim Calhoun did for UCONN. Bruce Pearl made a terrible mistake that cost him his job. Had Pearl just told the truth he would still be at UT. I remember his last team started out strong. Won the preseason NIT and killed Pitt at Pitt. From everything I heard the administration decided they weren't going to back Pearl and the team more or less quit. That team started out 7-0 and was ranked #5 after the big win over Pitt. It was all downhill after that. I like Counzo Martin. I think next years team has a chance to be really good. I want Counzo Martin to really succeed.

I have said this for years. UT Basketball is a sleeping giant. UT's Basketball facilities are 2nd to none. UT has proven over and over they will support basketball. Football will always be top dog though. Another reason UT should be good in Basketball is the State of Tennessee has really good basketball talent in this state. Memphis is one of the best basketball cities in america. Cities like Clarksville,Nashville,Jackson,Knoxville and Chattanooga have produced good basketball players.

Ron:

All of what you said is true. The facilities, the support, everything. You've had a string of bad hires in the past. I'm like you however ... I want coach Martin to succeed. I'm an U of M fan, but I'm also a Tennessean and it's always good for UT to do well. Like I said earlier ... the U of M CAN'T get them all. Some just want to leave home and spread their wings ... what could be a better place then UT? It's a win win situation all the way around in my book. I wish that UT could have landed J III and/or JJ from Southwind ... keep all of the boys home in Tennessee. If the U of M can't get them ... man go down the road to UT! Go to Vandy! Go to MTSU!

But ... I understand that some guys just want to go to Missouri or Marquette or to Duke or to the University of North Carolina. I'm not mad at them if they go to those schools as well. Go and represent your state and city young man and fare thee well.

I think coach Martin will start to get his fair share. He's landed Jarnell and now Robert Hubbs. That's a pretty good start.

Edited by kwc

Great post and I guarantee there is a lot of truth to this! Its hard to compete when you are playing against 20+ year old men and athletes in Memphis can change schools whenever they want without penalty.

Fanatic,

I was wondering when you would show up... lol You are just jealous that we have men that look young enough to stil be high school students. Now if the old man had any game whatsoever.

I think this guy was undercover like the female cop was in Carter County; 21 Jumpstreet in reality.

Have they made any arrests on who murdered the asst coach at ridgeway

I don't think they have. I haven't heard anything ... but that doesn't mean that they have or haven't. I just don't know ... maybe someone else can answer that question.

Edited by kwc

something I looked up on TSSAA's website, correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I saw, there AAA has existed for 37 years. 27 championships have gone to Memphis or schools in Shelby County. thats pretty impressive. speaks for itself.

I'm thankful that Dyer County caught the break it did, because it isn't easy to get out of West TN when you have to face deep Memphis teams in Region/Substate. good year for Memphis/West TN basketball!

Your overall point of AAA domination by Memphis teams is correct but it is actually 24 titles in 38 years for Memphis since the three class system has been in place. East Tennessee has 9 ( Austin-East, Brainerd (3), Science Hill (3), Cleveland, and Maryville) and Middle Tennessee has 5 ( McGavock, Pearl, Franklin and White County (2)). The rest have been spread out among 14 teams, all from Memphis.

Just found it funny a poster a few days ago was wondering where all the great ball players in Memphis go after high school..that he/she nvr hears from a lot of them afterwards..just like in a game statistics don't lie...and being a large city has nothing to do with high crime rate...cities much much larger than Memphis nvr sniffed the list

They go to a lot of places. Some return to Memphis, others haven't. I'm not surprised that you found this funny ... smh. You are correct, there are other large cities that have never sniffed the list but size of a city is a factor. It's not the lone factor ... but is a factor.

Now that we've established that the city of Memphis has been/is on a crime list ... now what? This isn't some sort of revelation. What's your point?

Edited by kwc

Your overall point of AAA domination by Memphis teams is correct but it is actually 24 titles in 38 years for Memphis since the three class system has been in place. East Tennessee has 9 ( Austin-East, Brainerd (3), Science Hill (3), Cleveland, and Maryville) and Middle Tennessee has 5 ( McGavock, Pearl, Franklin and White County (2)). The rest have been spread out among 14 teams, all from Memphis.

Good work ND.

What about Fulton? They have some.

What about Fulton? They have some.

They were just talking about AAA for the 9 ET titles. In AA, there have been 7 titles for East Tennessee teams since the three classes were instituted in 1976. They were Holston (1978), Austin-East (1985, 1987), Sweetwater (1994), Harriman (1995), and Fulton (2008, 2009).