7AAA predictions and expectations

BKisler

StarRaider knott pep, butt eye've hurd ov Danny Ray Spradlin.....Eye beeleeve thait gaim wuz played att MackMinn Cowntee tho....

SR yore middull naim haz gott two bee "Blue" rite??... :mrgreen:

Cousin Stars - if my poor memory is correct that game would was played on a cold November night at the Loudon Redskins palace.

I know you heard my middle name is Blue from great great Granny Bars.

Our starting center got injured the game before and the back up center was a 150 lb defensive end who very reluctantly took the assignment. The first play of the game he lined up, looked up at the all stater Danny Ray playing the Mike, snapped the ball.... he told me he got up with his helmet on backwards and said he knew it was going to be like that all night long.

Edited by StarRaider

Cousin Stars - if my poor memory is correct that game would was played on a cold November night at the Loudon Redskins palace.

I know you heard my middle name is Blue from great great Granny Bars.

Our starting center got injured the game before and the back up center was a 150 lb defensive end who very reluctantly took the assignment. The first play of the game he lined up, looked up at the all stater Danny Ray playing the Mike, snapped the ball.... he told me he got up with his helmet on backwards and said he knew it was going to be like that all night long.

SR.....Tha reesun eye remimburr MackMinn Cowntee wuz Benny Monroe wuz tha coach thair then beefour movin' onn two Cleavlund.....Hit wuz cold and a struggel....Best eye remimburr Danny haid a hip pointer and played vurry littull O inn thait gaim untill tha end....Didun't tha Raiders haiv a baick thait wuz a reel good long jumper??.....He scorred urlee on us inn thait gaim....

We did play Cleavlund att Loudun inn tha '70 Stait Champeenship gaim four shore... :popcorneater:

Paul Davis was that back, he was a great athlete. Ended up at UT on a track scholarship. I saw Paul a few months ago and he still looks like he can fly.

We had another great back that season named Bobby Thompson but he injured his knee and I don't think he played at all. He still got a football scholly from Coach Majors.

Paul and Bobby won the TSSAA team track and field championship that spring by themselves, which still is hard to believe. Bobby won the discus and shot put and Paul won the long jump. I think both may have placed in the 100 as well.

It might have been McMinn but the ride back seemed like it took forever. Dang fake field goal!

Edited by StarRaider

Paul Davis was that back, he was a great athlete. Ended up at UT on a track scholarship. I saw Paul a few months ago and he still looks like he can fly.

We had another great back that season named Bobby Thompson but he injured his knee and I don't think he played at all. He still got a football scholly from Coach Majors.

Paul and Bobby won the TSSAA team track and field championship that spring by themselves, which still is hard to believe. Bobby won the discus and shot put and Paul won the long jump. I think both may have placed in the 100 as well.

It might have been McMinn but the ride back seemed like it took forever. Dang fake field goal!

SR wint ovur two Gibbs att Ewe Tea and Thompson wuz Danny's roommait when'st thay reeported az frashman.....He wuz bilt like Danny......

Eye thaink Davis is rite...Eye reemimburr he wore #7... :popcorneater:

pepvol... nothing but mad stacks of respect for the team wearing the M on the hat. From what I saw at the scrimmage today the fast break lives on...

IIRC you were around in when Danny Spradlin was playing.. we lost to M on a fake field goal at Loudon in 76 semis, I have some really good stuff the next time you're in town.

Yes I was a sophomore on that team , had 2 brothers on team , oldest was Qb , pitiful thing is my memory is nothing like Starz's memory , I'd take his word on how he remembers it going down , Starz is a walking encyclopedia of Maryville Rebel football !!! Lol

Yes I was a sophomore on that team , had 2 brothers on team , oldest was Qb , pitiful thing is my memory is nothing like Starz's memory , I'd take his word on how he remembers it going down , Starz is a walking encyclopedia of Maryville Rebel football !!! Lol

pep, moore like tha Mad Maggazine ov Mairvul footbawl..... :rolleyes:

nice! I wish SC well. I hope they schedule smart out of district for the next few years, so the can feel some success. Not sure they will have much in district for a few years but you never know. BTW if you haven't seen the SCHS campus. It is very nice.

The school facility is state-of-the-art. SCHS hosts Summitt for homecoming... and Page beat Summitt 40-6 last season if that means anything. SCHS also plays Ravenwood, Tullahoma, and Gallatin outside 7aaa which won't be a walk in the park, but the pigskin is shaped funny and takes strange bounces... so you just never know.

Well, went to see LaVergne tonight. And came away impressed with some of the things they were doing on offense. Ran a pistol, fast tempo, getting their speedy kids in space. But Defensively, they will have a tough time stoping folks in 7AAA if they don't improve on that side of the ball.

On "O" they were very athletic. No surprise right? Very impressed with CJ Fore at Qb. Nice touch on the ball and can make some people miss when he decides to tuck it and run. they had 2 very solid RB one of them was a freshmen who I was most impressed with. Very tough runner, fought for every yard with some breakaway speed to go with his grit. WR is without question their strength. Very athletic with impressive ball skills with the ball in the air JJ Horton? (not sure i got his name right) was very impressive. I think there "O" will be their strength. BUT......they were also their own worst enemy. Lots of mistakes like lining up wrong, snaps over the QB's head and taunting penalties after putting it into the end zone. That stuff must get cleaned up or I can see the same old LaVergne again this year.

But I will say this, it was a four team scrimmage with PJP2, Signal Mt. Coffee county and Lavergne and they moved the ball at will and almost scored at will on all of them when the weren't shooting themselves in the foot. Signal Mt. Was the best looking team there and Lavergne scores on their first 3 plays on the "from the 20" segment. Very impressive

Defense. Not as impressive. Very average. Look solid against CC and PJP2 but Signal Mt and their wing t gave Lavergne fits. If Lavergne's "D" does not improve then they will have a hard time keeping teams out of the end zone and I'm not sure their "O" can score enough.

Over all, good athletes and looks to be running a offense that fits their talent but they need to play smarter with less mistakes. Defense just need to do a better job tackling and Lavergne may have a pretty nice season.

Of the teams there no doubt Lavergne was the 2nd best. They have some athletes and if they continue to improve they will not be an easy win.

They did well against Signal during the goal line (10 yard line) drill in the beginning. But in the scrimmage portion from the 45 Signal scored 3 times and Lavergne only once. Of course that was as good as any of the teams did against SM.

Of the teams there no doubt Lavergne was the 2nd best. They have some athletes and if they continue to improve they will not be an easy win.

They did well against Signal during the goal line (10 yard line) drill in the beginning. But in the scrimmage portion from the 45 Signal scored 3 times and Lavergne only once. Of course that was as good as any of the teams did against SM.

oh sorry, I thought that was a red zone drill at the start of the scrimmage. My bad!