AA Girls Basketball Teams

secretagentman

Xparton

As I understand it the team held a meeting and voted unanimously to let her play. She has some great friends on that team that she has played with since they were 7 years old. Including her best friend. I also heard that she approached the coach about it and not the other way around.

I'm not buying that she approached the team. Coach is on his way out so he doesn't care about the message he's sending.  This isn't the coach's doing, the "powers that be" need the team to continue playing for personal gain.  Of course they voted unanimously to let her play - sitting in a circle with a group of  high school girls you arent going to be the one to publicly vote against the group.  Bet they all hugged and squealed in that meeting, but I bet a few of them burst into tears as soon as they got in their parents car. I feel for the kid who will get knocked from the starting lineup.  The ones who worked hard all season becuase that's what you're told - hard work pays off, right?  And I feel for her parents who have to now try to explain the politics of high school sports.  I heard about this a few days ago from a CAK parent, but it was just rumor mill until it was made public by a local prep sportswriter last night.  I don't think everyone is happy with the decision.

Not at all knocking the player involved.  I'm sure she's a great kid.  This isn't about the kids (obviously) - it's when the adults get involved that things get skewed. 

I'm not buying that she approached the team. Coach is on his way out so he doesn't care about the message he's sending.  This isn't the coach's doing, the "powers that be" need the team to continue playing for personal gain.  Of course they voted unanimously to let her play - sitting in a circle with a group of  high school girls you arent going to be the one to publicly vote against the group.  Bet they all hugged and squealed in that meeting, but I bet a few of them burst into tears as soon as they got in their parents car. I feel for the kid who will get knocked from the starting lineup.  The ones who worked hard all season becuase that's what you're told - hard work pays off, right?  And I feel for her parents who have to now try to explain the politics of high school sports.  I heard about this a few days ago from a CAK parent, but it was just rumor mill until it was made public by a local prep sportswriter last night.  I don't think everyone is happy with the decision.

Not at all knocking the player involved.  I'm sure she's a great kid.  This isn't about the kids (obviously) - it's when the adults get involved that things get skewed. 

The reaction to this is as if CAK went to some Eastern European country and brought a player over for the post season.This has nothing to do with the fact that CAK is letting a girl that has been on the roster all season with and open invitation to rejoin the team when ever her busy  volleyball schedule would allow.  Never miind that she has attended this school and played two sports with most of these girls for the Warriors since the 7th grade.  Teams at other schools will bring kids up from JV teams and other sports to fill the bench during the post season.  It happens in all sports from highschool to professional.   This whole conflict has everything to do with the player in question.   If she were a 5'8" soccer player that they added to the team to help with depth nobody would even care.  Its because of who she is and what she can do for her team that has everybody in an up roar.  For her whole career at CAK there have been aqccusations of of recruiting and unfair advantages given to this girl and her family.  I dont think she will be starting either. She hasn"t picked up a basketball in almost a year. Interested in how effective she will be.

Great post.

Xparton

As I understand it the team held a meeting and voted unanimously to let her play. She has some great friends on that team that she has played with since they were 7 years old. Including her best friend. I also heard that she approached the coach about it and not the other way around.

im not buying it either  sounds a whole lot about personal gain      good luck to all moving forward in the tournaments

I can 110% guarantee that not all of the girls are as OK with this move as some are making it seem. There are girls that have worked so hard during preseason and during the entire year who will lose playing time now, that they have earned, because it seems someone will try to win at any cost. What kind of message is that sending to these young ladies for life? Yes, some may say that it was "voted" on. But I'll tell you this, intimidation can play a huge role when it comes to high school females.

Dad (MLB) seems to have made a move to win a state championship freshman year, came back because he thought he could make it happen sophomore year. Dad then got Coach fired mid season when things weren't going well, and now pulled out all the stops to turn things around. Will Coach get to stay if CAK wins the gold ball?

I've been saying CAK is playing better and coming together as a team. I have said I thought they would make a deep post season run. And I'm sure they still will. However, I don't think this is fair to all of the young ladies in the program.

As a disclaimer I will say, this is not the returning young ladies fault at all. If she wants to play with her friends then that is fine. Often times there are adults in power however who see the whole picture and care more about ALL of their student-athletes than just winning. 

Just for the record Cheyenne's dad did not play MLB...and frankly if she wants to play what business is it of anyones as long as its legal according to tssaa rules(and it is) 

My son worked 4 years to start for his varsity years ago....Finally his senior year he gets the start and rips up his ankle.While recovering a 6-5 post transfers and guess who's starting.Anyone with a brain knew thats what coach had to do!

And there was no whining or complaining on the part of anyone.....Give it a rest people.Life isn't fair.....We are all born with different talents and DNA.( 6-6 is a skill set in basketball whether you believe it or not).

I know nothing about politics or perceived politics at CAK.....But I do know all the families involved....and they are all good people.

Just for the record Cheyenne's dad did not play MLB...and frankly if she wants to play what business is it of anyones as long as its legal according to tssaa rules(and it is) 

My son worked 4 years to start for his varsity years ago....Finally his senior year he gets the start and rips up his ankle.While recovering a 6-5 post transfers and guess who's starting.Anyone with a brain knew thats what coach had to do!

And there was no whining or complaining on the part of anyone.....Give it a rest people.Life isn't fair.....We are all born with different talents and DNA.( 6-6 is a skill set in basketball whether you believe it or not).

I know nothing about politics or perceived politics at CAK.....But I do know all the families involved....and they are all good people.

Great post Robpride

we both know what dad they are talking about.  What NTM doesnt know is that he and the coach are very close friends.  CAK sports have never been stronger than they are right now nor has the Girls Basketball team every had this kind of sucess before.  Only a crazy person would try to oust a coach and athletic director that has done so much to improve the athletic environment for a school.  I belive his departure has something to do with the hiring of a new headmaster that wants the school to focus on spirituality and academics than sports.  A tragic event has taken place at the school today and i think we would better use our time praying for the families and kids that are involved instead of bickering over a petty issue such as this.

Great post Robpride

we both know what dad they are talking about.  What NTM doesnt know is that he and the coach are very close friends.  CAK sports have never been stronger than they are right now nor has the Girls Basketball team every had this kind of sucess before.  Only a crazy person would try to oust a coach and athletic director that has done so much to improve the athletic environment for a school.  I belive his departure has something to do with the hiring of a new headmaster that wants the school to focus on spirituality and academics than sports.  A tragic event has taken place at the school today and i think we would better use our time praying for the families and kids that are involved instead of bickering over a petty issue such as this.

Agreed   My prayers are with the entire CAK family today

How is this not anyone's business? It was newspaper worthy... Also, what message is this sending?(serious question)

Did one of the girls rip their ankles?

Life isn't fair..I think anyone will disagree with this statement. However, how can anyone not involved with CAK (or the girls who were playing who will now be the "depth" on the bench) think there is one thing fair about this situation? 6-6 is definitely a skill set in basketball. Of course, it is in volleyball too, which is why I thought she sat out the season for her future in that sport.

I'm sure they are good folks, but my opinion (which is just that) is that politics are heavily involved in this matter.  Can anyone explain the coach allowing this? Other than he is the coach and CAK wants to win it all at any cost. (I really feel this is the thought process of most)

No matter how this is read, I am not trying to rip your post. I feel I am making valid points and asking valid questions. No matter the answer(s), I don't think anyone outside of CAK or those kids that sacrificed their time all season practicing/playing a game for this team, who now may not see the floor, will ever be made to understand this.  

Edited by BigDaddy_1

Great post Robpride

Spirituality and Academics? I thought that was what this school's primary purpose? Don't get me wrong...I love sports, but nothing will ever be more important in this life (or the next) than salvation. Academics/Education should be the second most important thing we teach our children.

By your post, it sounds as if sports is or at least was the focus of the school.

Edited by BigDaddy_1

Wow....

• Just one more reason for privates to be in Div 11.
  • Sports Academy of Knoxville (CAK) purpose is to provide a place for those who can afford +$10,000 tuition, an advantage in sports.
  • Take sports out of SAK and enrollment would drop from 450 to 100.

I would venture to guess that every high school in the state has at least one girl in its school that has left the team for varying reasons (academics, other sports, etc). I can't think of one coach that would allow someone to join the team after summer workouts, 100 practices, and 30 games! 

Sports at SAK is about winning, winning, and winning.

Fairness, ethics, and sportsmanship are the only losers at SAK.

Hopefully Fulton, GP, Grainger, Elizabethton, can derail SAK path to a tarnished gold ball !