Metro 5A/6A football 2013

How will this district end up? My predictions:

1,2 Overton/Hillsboro. Overton returns a lot of key players and have huge playmaker in Martin. Hillsboro made great strides in Clayton's first year and should only get better this year. Both coaching staffs are very solid.

3,4 Antioch/Cane Ridge Antioch has a new coach and they return most skill guys and have maybe the best line in metro. Cane ridge is coming off the best season in the schools short history. Can they improve or will they take a step back? I'm guessing a couple steps back. The honeymoon is over.

5,6,7 McGavock, Hillwood, Glencliff. Mcgavock always has talent but never puts it all together. Hillwood and Glencliff once again will be the bottom feeders. Enough said on those two.

How will this district end up? My predictions:

1,2 Overton/Hillsboro. Overton returns a lot of key players and have huge playmaker in Martin. Hillsboro made great strides in Clayton's first year and should only get better this year. Both coaching staffs are very solid.

3,4 Antioch/Cane Ridge Antioch has a new coach and they return most skill guys and have maybe the best line in metro. Cane ridge is coming off the best season in the schools short history. Can they improve or will they take a step back? I'm guessing a couple steps back. The honeymoon is over.

5,6,7 McGavock, Hillwood, Glencliff. Mcgavock always has talent but never puts it all together. Hillwood and Glencliff once again will be the bottom feeders. Enough said on those two.

Hunters Lane?

I think that Overton/Hillsboro/Cane Ridge will battle it out for the district title.. Overton has Martin and the other real good lineman and are always well coached. Cane Ridge has a lot of athleticism and are the defending champs. Return some good lineman and DB's. Hillsboro has a tremendous amount of talent in the Soph and JR class led by 2015 SEC recruit DE Kyle Phillips. I've heard rumors of transfers out of Antioch, not sure how true they are. That's why I leave Antioch out, because I think Woodward meant a ton to those kids. Should be an interesting year to say the least

Edited by HighLife

Hillsboro, Overton/McGavock/Cane Ridge, Antioch, Glenclif, Hunters Lane, Hillwood

Honestly see Overton/McGavock/Cane Ridge as toss ups. All 3 of those schools played each other tight last year and Overton McGavock have been close the last 3 or 4 years so those are all 1 possession games.

Everything I've heard from the Hillsboro camp leads me to believe they should be top in the district. I haven't seen the DE but he has made some impressions on the guys that matter, their offense will be tough with Clayton there.

Cane Ridge is far and away the most talented school in metro 6a/5a but they have been pretty much since their inception so we will see. Will be interesting to see how their out of conference goes, that could determine their season. They need to fill the QB position but he missed a some last year so there is some experience. Their OC is a solid coach so I don't doubt he'll have it together and will use his athletes.

Overton was relatively young last year and you know what you are going to get from a Terry Anderson team. Tough kids, same scheme, tough team year in and out.

McGavock was young as well, they played pretty much all underclassmen at the skills besides QB last year. Heard there are some coaching changes over there but Gore is a good coach and Moreno is running the D which is a role he thrived in at HL.

I also heard Antioch lost some not only in graduation but also to transfers, not sure if those are just rumors or if there is truth. They do bring back their QB and RB but how many linemen did they lose? That was the strength of their team, losing your big guys when you are run 1st, 2nd, and 3rd is tough to overcome but year 2 in the option could hide some of that.

Glenclif is Glenclif, they will have some athletes but not enough to compete.

Hunters Lane meteoric drop is still baffling to me, do not see a turnaround in their future especially with the principal and I'm not a big fan of the HC hire over there. Hiring a losing coach who changes jobs quickly to turn around a losing program typically isn't a recipe for success.

Hillwood had some talent last year but it all graduated. If they ever had a chance to make some noise it was last year.

I know Metro doesn't have a high profile but the top 4 or 5 should make for some quality games, good players and coaches but like the rest of city schools across the country, lack of depth.

Edited by fballfiend

If we rank the head coaches, Anderson of Overton and Clayton of Hillsboro are head and shoulders above the rest. Spears of Hillwood and Gore of McGavock next level. Both are solid. Peden of Antioch comes from good stock and will have a good staff, especially if his Dad assists. Parks of Cane Ridge changed the losing ways year one, interesting to see how they do this year. Easley of Glencliff is still unproven. Murray has never had a winning season and is the third guy in 4 years to lead Hunters Lane, who went from first to worst in a hurry.

Talent level and depth of talent: Antioch, Cane Ridge first. Hillsboro, McGavock, Overton next. Hunters Lane next. Then Glencliff. Then Hillwood.

Anderson and Spears do the most with what they have. Clayton and Parks had impressive debuts last year. Peden had a lot to do with Antioch's recent success.

One old man's prediction: 1 Overton 2 Antioch 3 Hillsboro 4 McGavock 5 Cane Ridge 6 Hillwood 7 Hunters Lane 8 Glencliff

Current Hillwood coach announces retirement in July much like Bobby Johnson did as he retired from Vanderbilt. Creates a tough situation for the current Principal who has to make a quick hire. I suspect that the Principal will hire the first guy who can fill the opened teaching slot. Don't personally know the current Principal, but I have been told by several folks that he is a Basketball referee in his spare time and really could care less about the school's athletic success' or lack thereof. Good luck to the Hilltoppers ! Bring back Jerry Link....

Current Hillwood coach announces retirement in July much like Bobby Johnson did as he retired from Vanderbilt. Creates a tough situation for the current Principal who has to make a quick hire. I suspect that the Principal will hire the first guy who can fill the opened teaching slot. Don't personally know the current Principal, but I have been told by several folks that he is a Basketball referee in his spare time and really could care less about the school's athletic success' or lack thereof. Good luck to the Hilltoppers ! Bring back Jerry Link....

He is a good principal and cares very much about the football program. The DC will be in charge until coach is announced . They will not find a better replacement than the current DC. Should do like Mount Juliet did and name him today. Edited by runtheball

You are very misinformed about the Hillwood Principal, SC is a perfect fit for the school and cares very much about all athletics at Hillwood. All aspects of the athletic plant and coaching staff has improved since SC entered the building at Hillwood. Great "athletic principal" that any coach would love to have on his or her side.

Good Luck to TB and the Hilltoppers!