Noise Makers for '13 & 14 - All Divisions...

Sommers

I hope that the "Cats" can step up and beat Soddy.  Then they have the opportunity

to wrestle the number 1 ranked team in Tn.  If it is close, maybe they will get their hard

earned respect as a top ranked team. Nobody wants another one sided final.

Wilson Central has had respect all season being one of the top ranked teams in the state over Bradley, Soddy, Walker, and D2's McCallie without wrestling any of them. That ranking will be tested this week against Soddy Daisy.

I don't think the finals will be lop-sided this year.

Wilson Central has had respect all season being one of the top ranked teams in the state over Bradley, Soddy, Walker, and D2's McCallie without wrestling any of them. That ranking will be tested this week against Soddy Daisy.

Unless someone other than Soddy or Central pulls a Cinderella to the finals, it wont be lopsided

Wrestling coaches stay active during matches

Jan. 26, 2014 @ 10:21 AM

CHRISTOPHER JAMES

Sevier Mtn Press

g258258000000000000c2f9bd337231ccc1722d4

Christopher James

Pigeon Forge wrestling coaches Greg Foreman (right) and Robert Satterfield yell instructions on Thursday.

PIGEON FORGE —

The short bursts of commands coming from the bench can seem cryptic.

But don’t mistake the verbal shorthand for gibberish. Clever, in-match coaching is one of the reasons Pigeon Forge’s wrestling team is going back to the state dual championships.

“I know what I’m doing but I can’t see all the way around what’s open,†said the Tigers Xavier Bohanan. “Them screaming what kind of move was open, that really helps me out.â€

Bohanan said coach Greg Foreman and his staff helped him see what he needed to do Thursday when Pigeon Forge rolled through Region 2-A/AA to clinch a spot in next week’s Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Assocation state dual championships in Franklin. Pigeon Forge beat Catholic, behind 11 pins, in the region title match, 72-6, after dispatching Christian Academy of Knoxville (66-9) and Union County (78-0). 

The Tigers have experienced unprecedented success under Foreman, who has guided Pigeon Forge to the last three dual state finals. The Tigers have lost all three by just a combined 12 points, but there’s confidence this will be the year they win it.

“Only the person who knows what it’s like to be defeated can summon up that extra energy to win,†said sophomore Elias Bond after getting a pin against Catholic.

Foreman hopes he can direct his team to the title, which he said Thursday would be a nice career milestone. The energetic coach points, twists his body and flails his arms at times during matches, trying to communicate with body language and quick orders. Foreman said he knows that only 10 or 20 percent of those words will sink in, but he can give more in-depth instruction during breaks in the match.

“It’s probably more for our bearing than for theirs,†Foreman said. “When I was competing, I rarely heard the coaches until there was a break and I looked at the coach. During the match, you’ve got so much adrenaline flowing, you’ve got so much action going that you’re trying to think about 10 different variables at the same time.â€

Coaches try to sift through all those possibilities for their wrestlers mid-match. A word here or there can be a sharp reminder for a competitor seeking a way out of a jam. Experienced wrestlers like Bohanan benefit from strategies or ideas to try out mid-match. When a first-year wrestler like Christian Sisto is out there, Foreman will yell what he calls “anticipated positions.†It can help the wrestler already know what to do when something happens.

“They’re trying to tell you what you can’t see while you’re in a match,†Sisto said. “You learn in practice when they’re yelling at you. You’ve got to learn how to listen.â€

Sophomore Matthew Kieta, who was 43-7 during the regular season, said key words he picks up from his coaches can really help him finish a move. All the yelling and gesticulating is about giving out as much information as possible.

It’s the wrestler’s job to put that together and win the match.

“It’s just words here and there,†Bohanan said. “You put them together like a jigsaw puzzle-type deal. You put them together piece-by-piece. You stick them together and then there it was. It was there.â€

WC must get some pins and they must loose by decision.  Soddy has 8 matches

by my count?