Parallels of 70-80's Maryville and current Riverdale

SwamiSays

Again, that's just foolish because destroying programs would show up in the win/loss column

Just as it takes time to build a program up, it takes time to erode a great program. I am afraid that the results are just starting to show up at Riverdale. We will see how Coach A does this year and in the next couple seasons (if he gets the chance). I want Riverdale to be successful because I am a fan of high school football in Tennessee and the Warriors have a lot of history. I'm just afraid that Coach A is not the man for the job.

Never said it didn't. Most coaches across the state consider Aydelott a great coach. 90% or better of them would love to have had his success. 

No doubt that number of coaches would want his success! Why have the numbers dropped so far at Riverdale is my question? From 100 a year to 60? To me that is quite extreme! Unfortunately the head man has to answer and gets the heat for what is happening!

Maryville won big in the 70s because they had a great coaching staff back then. Ted Wilson was a master motivator. Don Story was a great defensive coach. Maryville won 3 state titles in the 70s. 1980 was the last season Ted Wilson coached at Maryville. The program slipped a little bit after Ted left but Maryville was still really good under Don Story. In the 80s Maryville never won state but made the semifinals in 1981,1982,1984 and 1986. 1984 was a year Maryville should have won state but their best tailback tore his knee in the last regular season game. In the 80s Brentwood Academy and AE were dominant. When Don Story retired Maryville slipped really bad. For nearly 10 seasons Maryville didn't win a playoff game.

In 1993 Tim Hammontree became head coach. He struggled early. In 1995 Tim Hammontree hired George Quarles. During the middle of 1996 Tim Hammontree let GQ change the offense from a wing T to the splitback veer. Maryville had growing pains in 1996 with a 5-5 season. It laid the foundation for 1997 to this current time. A huge key to the success of Maryville was GQ hiring Jim Gaylor from Clinton to be an assistant.

What I found out over the years is coaching means everything.

Maryville won big in the 70s because they had a great coaching staff back then. Ted Wilson was a master motivator. Don Story was a great defensive coach. Maryville won 3 state titles in the 70s. 1980 was the last season Ted Wilson coached at Maryville. The program slipped a little bit after Ted left but Maryville was still really good under Don Story. In the 80s Maryville never won state but made the semifinals in 1981,1982,1984 and 1986. 1984 was a year Maryville should have won state but their best tailback tore his knee in the last regular season game. In the 80s Brentwood Academy and AE were dominant. When Don Story retired Maryville slipped really bad. For nearly 10 seasons Maryville didn't win a playoff game.

In 1993 Tim Hammontree became head coach. He struggled early. In 1995 Tim Hammontree hired George Quarles. During the middle of 1996 Tim Hammontree let GQ change the offense from a wing T to the splitback veer. Maryville had growing pains in 1996 with a 5-5 season. It laid the foundation for 1997 to this current time. A huge key to the success of Maryville was GQ hiring Jim Gaylor from Clinton to be an assistant.

Bingo Rebelron !! Swami thinks it's just fluctuation of Talent ... of Course he is just saying this in defense of Coach Adyelott and Riverdale slowly eroding away ... Riverdale is down to 60 players now ... I guess there was an unusual fluctuation this year and there were only 100 boys and 1900 girls at Riverdale ... has to be some freak thing , it can't be that Adyelott is not attracting players !!  :mrgreen:

Coaching is definitely important. Motivation is as well. I have never said anything contrary to that. 

Do you recall how many players went on to play college ball during the 10 years of no playoff wins?

Bingo Rebelron !! Swami thinks it's just fluctuation of Talent ... of Course he is just saying this in defense of Coach Adyelott and Riverdale slowly eroding away ... Riverdale is down to 60 players now ... I guess there was an unusual fluctuation this year and there were only 100 boys and 1900 girls at Riverdale ... has to be some freak thing , it can't be that Adyelott is not attracting players !!  :mrgreen:

And we have now heard from Barney Fife again..."yea, what he said, you tell him, Andy!(Rebelron)."

From what I know of him, Aydelott has never been concerned about huge sidelines. Blade at Indy is the same way. Lots of coaches don't want the headache or expense of extra bodies standing around that will never step on the field. 

Just as it takes time to build a program up, it takes time to erode a great program. I am afraid that the results are just starting to show up at Riverdale. We will see how Coach A does this year and in the next couple seasons (if he gets the chance). I want Riverdale to be successful because I am a fan of high school football in Tennessee and the Warriors have a lot of history. I'm just afraid that Coach A is not the man for the job.

Was 2011 luck? It was a dang good season. How quickly we forget. 

Was 2011 luck? It was a dang good season. How quickly we forget. 

A very good season where our QB was hurt in the second quarter then came back in the game and was injured again if I recall right mid way in the 4th qtr. and lost for the semi finals against Maryville! We still may have lost but having Dylan in that game would of made it more of a game maybe! Not blaming the coach but if my QB is injured and we can get along without him he sure would have not been in the game that late? If I remember we had the game pretty well in hand and our defense was playing lights out! Oakridge had 51 yards of offense in the 2nd half of that game! Just saying!

Edited by warhawks

Swami,

Why is the talent down now compared to the "glory days?"

It is my contention that cumulative effect of both feeder school and high school zoning changes has significantly thinned the athletic herd at Riverdale. I am sure there are a slew of individual reasons for individual families and players, but most schools lose some players no matter what. Rankin realized what was going to happen as new schools were coming along and left for greener pastures. Because many thought the program was all about Rankin, the players started looking around for the next big program and trickled away. The trickle turned into a flood when the zoning changes came along. Now, what were once all Riverdale athletes are now at least two other schools, possibly more, but i have not studied the zoning maps all that closely to say precisely.