Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football

cowboypete

The best thing to do is TOTALLY IGNORE these posters.  Do NOT respond to them.  Period.

Will they go away? Never in entirety.  But if they don't get the satisfaction of an indignant response they might not be so persistent. 

Most of them are I-G-N-O-R-A-N-T and probably the undistinguished products of the public school system.  They have ZERO perception of what a private school offers over a public school and thus will never understand why some kids want to attend them and why parents make often huge sacrifices so that their kids can, whether they have a lick of athletic prowess or not.

GREAT POST.  two jobs, hoopty car, 100 miles round trip each day (home-to school-to work-to school-to home).  The academics, school leadership and most importantly, the outspoken, every classroom, Christ centered environment.

• Upvote 1

I agree ... 100 %

I guess with Maryville being in East Tn and us not really competing for players , it gives us a different view of things from the Public side . I really wouldn't mind if we included all of you guys and just had 3 .... no more than 4 Divisions overall . Making the Gold Balls more challenging to get would be a great thing I believe for the Quality of Football played in Tennessee . Handing out more and more Gold Balls is not a good thing .

It is worth noting on Sonny Moore's ratings that he himself states "Only games played against the teams in the ratings are used to formulate the power ratings", meaning that out-of-state games don't factor into a Tennessee team's strength of schedule (the W or L counts, but the SOS does not).

As an example, take 2009. MUS was largely considered by any neutral party to be the state's best team that year (let's just go with it for argument's sake, even if you disagree) - nationally ranked in all of the polls and in the top 10 of many of those. One of the wins in MUS's 13-0 season was a win over South Panola (MS), who was on the heels of winning 76 of its last 77 games and would go on to a 14-1 record and win Mississippi's state title in its largest classification. One of the national ratings services had MUS #1 overall in TN and with a #11 SOS in TN; another national ratings service had MUS #1 in TN and with a #5 SOS in TN. However, Sonny Moore's Tennessee-only ratings had MUS's SOS at #30 in the state because of the absence of the South Panola game in its SOS. As such, MUS finished #2 in Sonny Moore's ratings that year behind 6A champ White Station (13-2), despite the fact that MUS beat White Station head-to-head that year by 20 on the field (55-35).

Just thought the lack of an out-of-state game SOS factor in Sonny Moore's ratings is worth noting; it is NOT an attempt to diminish or discredit any school's, private or public, current or past ratings in Sonny Moore's ratings. Given the number of out-of-state games played each year (70 thus far this year), the excluding of out-of-state games has a domino effect on many teams in Tennessee, meaning the ratings could equally underrate or overrate a TN team, private or public (and therefore that's teams in-state opponents as well), based on how weak or strong that out-of-state opponent played was.

• Upvote 2

Every single thread on this board turns into a DII schools cheat discussion. Every one. When do you guys stop? And why don't you explain to me exactly the trouble BA got into. The AD, headmaster and anyone else at the top sure don't know anything yet you do. Maybe you work for the NSA or own your own drone?  And almost everything you and others spout about on here have no basis in fact other than an isolated incident that all know about.  Why is it that i don't see any DII fans, alums, parents, etc. on public school boards making accusations about bending the rules?  because publics never do? I've lived in multiple states where my kids always went to private schools. Have never seen the baloney that goes on here with privates anywhere else. on and on and on and on and on....  

close to that now. ask Ricky about a basketball player at a middle school he took to eat with his parents. got him and BA in a little bit of trouble. by the way they really helped the kid at UT now,didn't they? It was all about academics wasn't it? all the good tutors couldn't keep him at ensworth. what did he play,maybe 15 games in 3 years?

meritage, 

He's referring to 24 years ago in 1989 when Ricky was at BA he met Charles Hathaway's parents in the parking lot of the Green Hills O'Charleys to discuss Charles applying for BA. BA received probation and nothing ever came of anything - Charles played at Hillsboro then on at UT. Not sure where the Hathaway at Ensworth thing got thrown in, he never attended, we went to JT Moore for Middle School - back then Ensworth was only K-8

I guess with Maryville being in East Tn and us not really competing for players , it gives us a different view of things from the Public side . I really wouldn't mind if we included all of you guys and just had 3 .... no more than 4 Divisions overall . Making the Gold Balls more challenging to get would be a great thing I believe for the Quality of Football played in Tennessee . Handing out more and more Gold Balls is not a good thing . 

Your attitude was very common in the '70's. Public school coaches relished playing the private schools. They thought it was a great chance to measure their programs, and they won a fair number of the games. Now, advocating public schools playing private schools qualifies you for inclusion in a museum. And I'd love to see us go back to 3 divisions, with only district champions going into the playoffs.

Your attitude was very common in the '70's. Public school coaches relished playing the private schools. They thought it was a great chance to measure their programs, and they won a fair number of the games. Now, advocating public schools playing private schools qualifies you for inclusion in a museum. And I'd love to see us go back to 3 divisions, with only district champions going into the playoffs.

When we had 3 classes and only top 2 went to playoffs it made for some good quality football. I remember competing with and winning games against private schools.

Oh yeah ... Got it .. His shoe is on display at jt Moore ... Just didnt know the history

Every single thread on this board turns into a DII schools cheat discussion. Every one. When do you guys stop? And why don't you explain to me exactly the trouble BA got into. The AD, headmaster and anyone else at the top sure don't know anything yet you do. Maybe you work for the NSA or own your own drone? And almost everything you and others spout about on here have no basis in fact other than an isolated incident that all know about. Why is it that i don't see any DII fans, alums, parents, etc. on public school boards making accusations about bending the rules? because publics never do? I've lived in multiple states where my kids always went to private schools. Have never seen the baloney that goes on here with privates anywhere else. on and on and on and on and on....

close to that now. ask Ricky about a basketball player at a middle school he took to eat with his parents. got him and BA in a little bit of trouble. by the way they really helped the kid at UT now,didn't they? It was all about academics wasn't it? all the good tutors couldn't keep him at ensworth. what did he play,maybe 15 games in 3 years?

meritage,

He's referring to 24 years ago in 1989 when Ricky was at BA he met Charles Hathaway's parents in the parking lot of the Green Hills O'Charleys to discuss Charles applying for BA. BA received probation and nothing ever came of anything - Charles played at Hillsboro then on at UT. Not sure where the Hathaway at Ensworth thing got thrown in, he never attended, we went to JT Moore for Middle School - back then Ensworth was only K-8

Every single thread on this board turns into a DII schools cheat discussion. Every one. When do you guys stop? And why don't you explain to me exactly the trouble BA got into. The AD, headmaster and anyone else at the top sure don't know anything yet you do. Maybe you work for the NSA or own your own drone?  And almost everything you and others spout about on here have no basis in fact other than an isolated incident that all know about.  Why is it that i don't see any DII fans, alums, parents, etc. on public school boards making accusations about bending the rules?  because publics never do? I've lived in multiple states where my kids always went to private schools. Have never seen the baloney that goes on here with privates anywhere else. on and on and on and on and on....  

meritage, 

Thanks Matt.  I did not live here 24 yrs ago. I guess I surmised we would be having "cheating" discussions about this century. How foolish of me. I guess i'll get educated again when some anecdote is raised from 1940 or something like that (yes i know BA was not in existence then but MBA is always fair game). I'll get my encyclopedia out next time  

• Upvote 1

Well that explains it , since I am from the 70's !! lol . I'm proud that I was on 2 Teams that Beat Brentwood Academy for State Championships . It makes it even more Special since it was Brentwood Academy ... that's my point exactly , the greater the opponent the Greater the win . Just like I'm sure Whitehaven appreciates their Championship even more since it was against Maryville , I'm sure winning against a Great Team like Ensworth would be treasured forever by any opponent . 

8 gold balls is ridiculous . 

• Upvote 1

Well that explains it , since I am from the 70's !! lol . I'm proud that I was on 2 Teams that Beat Brentwood Academy for State Championships . It makes it even more Special since it was Brentwood Academy ... that's my point exactly , the greater the opponent the Greater the win . Just like I'm sure Whitehaven appreciates their Championship even more since it was against Maryville , I'm sure winning against a Great Team like Ensworth would be treasured forever by any opponent .

You, sir, are the man.

I'd love to see George Quarles match wits with a DII club. There's no doubt the Rebels would hang and they certainty wouldn't be intimidated.

Pep you are old!!! Kind of ironic that this year BA is celebrating the teams of the 70's at homecoming. A post card was sent out of the 1974 team I believe .. Was neat to see a bunch of gritty kids picking up Carlton Flatt and all showing the number one sign...

Think Maryville won in 76 and 78 over BA .. It's interesting to look back at some of those games and teams and wonder where did they go ?

BA use to play Knoxville Rule high school ..lots of teams no longer around or not competitive

Edited by baylorbigdog1976