Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football

cowboypete

BT did make a heads up play BUT i spoke to a few of the BA coaches after the game and this is something they practice all of the time, and as soon as they saw what mccallie did (not control possession) they hollered at BT to pick it up. In fact the freshman coach (who also assists with varsity) said he had it happen in one of his games this yr. He was one of the ones telling BT to pick it up and go. Not to take anything away from BT - great kid and great play

I spoke with BT and Coach White about the play. Both echoed what you said -- these guys practice this situation frequently. BT said he knew exactly what to do and enjoyed taking advantage of the opportunity.

I spoke with BT and Coach White about the play. Both echoed what you said -- these guys practice this situation frequently. BT said he knew exactly what to do and enjoyed taking advantage of the opportunity.

I will definitely be passing along this oddity to our 2 punt returners.  We've had to put 2 guys back now as it only took a couple of weeks for teams to quit kicking to the first one.  Now they don't have any choice unless they want to punt it out of bounds.  Which is fine, we've been seeing some 10-20 yard punts when guys try to do that.  You would know one of the boys, ex-BA kid.  He's been tearing it up in our secondary.  I think he has 5 INTs.  He also has 2 receiving TDs.  Coaches can't get him the ball enough but we have a lot of weapons for a 1A school.

I will definitely be passing along this oddity to our 2 punt returners.  We've had to put 2 guys back now as it only took a couple of weeks for teams to quit kicking to the first one.  Now they don't have any choice unless they want to punt it out of bounds.  Which is fine, we've been seeing some 10-20 yard punts when guys try to do that.  You would know one of the boys, ex-BA kid.  He's been tearing it up in our secondary.  I think he has 5 INTs.  He also has 2 receiving TDs.  Coaches can't get him the ball enough but we have a lot of weapons for a 1A school.

Jeff Brothers and Phillip Montgomery both did great things at BA and seem to be doing well at Nashville Christian. I'm glad to see that the Eagles are having a strong year. I know the player you're talking about -- he's an impressive athlete on a good team.

Jeff Brothers and Phillip Montgomery both did great things at BA and seem to be doing well at Nashville Christian. I'm glad to see that the Eagles are having a strong year. I know the player you're talking about -- he's an impressive athlete on a good team.

Thanks for the kind words.  My son (ex-BAer also) is really blessed to be playing for Jeff and Phillip.

Mickey?

I will definitely be passing along this oddity to our 2 punt returners. We've had to put 2 guys back now as it only took a couple of weeks for teams to quit kicking to the first one. Now they don't have any choice unless they want to punt it out of bounds. Which is fine, we've been seeing some 10-20 yard punts when guys try to do that. You would know one of the boys, ex-BA kid. He's been tearing it up in our secondary. I think he has 5 INTs. He also has 2 receiving TDs. Coaches can't get him the ball enough but we have a lot of weapons for a 1A school.

Mickey?

Yes sir.  That young man has been through a lot and he's a great kid.  He's having a ball playing for Jeff and Phillip (and the rest of the staff).  And the NCS folks have really taken to him.  He's gonna be a really good one - only a freshman.  

Funny story...... the team was looking for a punter during the summer and most of the boys just starting yelling, "Mickey can punt".  He'd never done it before but he's such a good athlete that he's now our punter too.

Edited by NCSdad1962

Was sad to see him leave BA ... Great kid - have known him since he was in 6th grade. Certainly doesnt surprise me to see him do so well as I have watched him play football and basketball for years. I need to make it out to a NCS game sometime

Yes sir. That young man has been through a lot and he's a great kid. He's having a ball playing for Jeff and Phillip (and the rest of the staff). And the NCS folks have really taken to him. He's gonna be a really good one - only a freshman.

Funny story...... the team was looking for a punter during the summer and most of the boys just starting yelling, "Mickey can punt". He'd never done it before but he's such a good athlete that he's now our punter too.

Yes and I understand ... But it's apples to apples none the less and far less subjective than a human poll. Not to say it is the bible either. You can look at ensworths schedule ranking and if trinity was added overall they would have a higher score. But since he is just factoring in all in state competition , mathematically it's apples to apples.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. Nothing is perfect, and it doesn't matter...

It ranks mus and BA for that matter higher in the state than any other poll so . I understand what he is trying to do ... Take the human element ( emotions - biases ) out of the equation

Not important but fun to look at all the polls on occasion at least for me

You are an informed "follower" and understand that most if not all state based polls only consider their own state teams in their SOS.  That's perfectly fine.  As long as people realize it. You'd be amazed how many don't.

This has a profound effect on the SOS of a  team like MUS, who is forced increasingly every year to play OOS teams to fill a 10 game schedule, especially because their OOS opponents are usually their toughest opponents and among the best teams in their respective states: S Panola and Olive Branch MS;  Fayetteville AR last year (7A champ);  Pulaski AR this year.  The combined record of their 3 OOS opponents this year is 19-6 and of course 2 of those 6 losses were to MUS.  CBHS also has played 3 OOS teams this year, though not close to the same caliber of MUS' opponents.

Few TN public schools will play MUS (or D2 schools in general) largely because of the rules governing the state playoffs, and I can't blame them really.  Last year, White Station was on a par with eventual 6A champ Whitehaven and arguably the 2nd best local 6A team but didn't make the playoffs because they forfeited 2 games AND lost to both MUS and CBHS.  What are the odds WS will ever play a D2 team again?  Slim to none. 

Whitehaven and Ridgeway (across the street and 200 yards away from MUS) scrimmage MUS every August but I'm not holding my breath waiting for a regular season game. The other closest publics and natural "neighborhood" opponents - Germantown, Houston, Collierville - appear to have boycotted MUS, it is rumored because MUS (surprise surprise) "steals" (read "recruits") their (read "zoned") players from them.  Forget any logic about the kids actually living in generally affluent areas close to MUS, and that private schools have ZERO "zoned" students.  Germantown, the closest of these 3, played MUS virtually every year through 1998.  None of them has played MUS since.

As I have said before, the polls ultimately are meaningless points of conversation anyway, since it all gets decided on the playing field, and in the case of D2, everybody makes the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1