Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football

cowboypete

Ya know , a lot of you guys are awfully testy  , I was one of those who was told for years and years on here that MBA always follows the rules ...   I believed that to be true , when I found out otherwise ... Well this article is just a year and a half ago , and all of you guys are acting like you can't believe this subject is ever brought up .... hey , I like the DII schools and I have no problem if we did play you guys , none at all , but I'm just pointing out that you all shouldn't act so surprised when you do hear about this . 

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/tssaa-hammers-mba-financial-aid-violations

Not testy...just speaking to the false accusations made towards Brentwood Academy in a previous post...I'm sure you would do the same if someone said athletes were being paid at Maryville or Alcoa. Nobody on the DII board is surprised when you bring up MBA...we've all read the articles and know what happened. 

One of the scarier things I find is that you can help out a kid financially and it's Christian charity, unless he's already receiving financial aid from the school and on a sports team.  Then it's cheating.  Buying athletes. But what if I help out some kid at a school that I have absolutely zero connection with?  Is it still cheating? or charity?

Years ago, I wanted to treat the son of my friend and some of his football buddies at my alma mater to dinner but was told I couldn't because it could be construed as illegal aid to those players receiving aid, but not to the ones not receiving aid.   Not wishing to not feed those on aid, I did nothing.  And needless to say, letting them stay free of charge at my vacation home for a weekend of swimming and skiing was totally out-of-the-question, unless they were members of the Chess Team perhaps....

Yet I could have done either without school authorities ever knowing what I was doing.  Then it could have been found out.  The school is concerned and reports it.  Then gets smeared. 

Ya know , a lot of you guys are awfully testy  , I was one of those who was told for years and years on here that MBA always follows the rules ...   I believed that to be true , when I found out otherwise ... Well this article is just a year and a half ago , and all of you guys are acting like you can't believe this subject is ever brought up .... hey , I like the DII schools and I have no problem if we did play you guys , none at all , but I'm just pointing out that you all shouldn't act so surprised when you do hear about this . 

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/tssaa-hammers-mba-financial-aid-violations

Nothing to do with testy whatsoever. Just trying to respond to the inability to understand facts. This thread has resulted in some good laughs.You raise the MBA thing and all of the sudden it is a generalization about all private schools.   Reminds me of an adminstration that makes up stories and gets the population riled up. Now for the ultra umpteenth time, why would you not send your kids to a good private school if you can figure out a way to do so. Every parent wants their kids to achieve more than they have. IN this state and many others , they will likely gain an advantage attending a private school. The colleges (good ones) concur. I've been there. Private schools are about so much than sports

Years ago, I wanted to treat the son of my friend and some of his football buddies at my alma mater to dinner but was told I couldn't because it could be construed as illegal aid to those players receiving aid, but not to the ones not receiving aid.   

This kind of Crap is ridiculous , the TSSAA is supposed to help kids . I do wish we could just have one Division in football , TN is way too watered down like this . 

• Upvote 1

Not sure what you mean "Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football". 7 state championships were given out last year, playoff attendance are at record levels, lots of media coverage on high school football, lots of talent being produced, high schools games are being played at college stadiums, haven't heard of a Tn high school folding its football team......so what negativity does Bowers and Ensworth bring?

The quicker DII teams leave the TSSAA the better. Form a private school division to play Ky, Ga, Al and NC teams in a south central private school division.

• Upvote 1

I'm not so sure about that. How much do you think those MBA football players were paying in tuition a few years ago? Between the checks from the coaches I'm willing to beat not so much. And to respond to our Brentwood Academy friend WesVLT hasn’t Brentwood academy been put on probation for paying players before like their friends in crime McCallie when they went on probation as well. I’m just looking at history and there’s no way you can tell me that all those school including Ensworth aren’t doing some things under the table to get better football players.

Paying players? Are you allergic to facts? BA was put on probation for calling kids who had already sent their enrollment deposits to inform them that a practice -- in which they had been approved to participate -- was cancelled. Another alleged violation was sending already-enrolled incoming students a letter inviting them to try out for the team.

Upon appeal, the penalties were mitigated and the probation ended. What did not end, however, was the propensity of uninformed agenda-holders to bash baselessly and create facts to suit their purposes.

Edited by WesVLT

I'm dropping off some Gatorade and bananas for our boys at halftime this Friday night.  I'm sure the NSA (and some of you on here) will let the TSSAA know if that is a violation  ;)  .  

BTW, this conversation is even more hilarious when your kid goes to a private school that provides no financial aid to any student and you compete against public schools.  You BA, MUS, Ensworth, Baylor, etc. parents should read the stuff we have to put up with on our team's message boards.

Edited by NCSdad1962

We see them ... Trust me some people say they would wish the bigger private schools move into 6a but if ensworrh had won the last 3 state championships or a private school wins the last 8-10, this site would be run over with hate from the other side.

It's easy to say put it all back together when it's not back together

Edited by baylorbigdog1976