Ricky Bowers and Ensworth have killed Tn football

cowboypete

Glad Hathaway was referenced.  He actually began his career at Hillsboro, but finished at Hillwood.  Both Metro Nashville (public) schools.  He had the opportunity to play at Hillwood (instead of Hillsboro) because of a rule that allows a student in metro Nashville to move schools if a particular class that he/she wants to take is not offered by the school he/she is zoned for.  I'm not sure if that rule still exists; but it did back then.  Regardless, at the time, if I recall, there was a lot of scrambling after the fact to identify which class exactly it was that he had switched to Hillwood in order to take.

Needless to say, had be gone to MBA or BA to find that class, he'd have been forced to sit out a year.

Pep you are old!!! Kind of ironic that this year BA is celebrating the teams of the 70's at homecoming. A post card was sent out of the 1974 team I believe .. Was neat to see a bunch of gritty kids picking up Carlton Flatt and all showing the number one sign...

Think Maryville won in 76 and 78 over BA .. It's interesting to look back at some of those games and teams and wonder where did they go ?

BA use to play Knoxville Rule high school ..lots of teams no longer around or not competitive

Whoa whoa whoa.  so if you graduated HS in 76 you are old?  i'm just getting started man.  another 40 or so yrs to go

It is worth noting on Sonny Moore's ratings that he himself states "Only games played against the teams in the ratings are used to formulate the power ratings", meaning that out-of-state games don't factor into a Tennessee team's strength of schedule (the W or L counts, but the SOS does not).

As an example, take 2009. MUS was largely considered by any neutral party to be the state's best team that year (let's just go with it for argument's sake, even if you disagree) - nationally ranked in all of the polls and in the top 10 of many of those. One of the wins in MUS's 13-0 season was a win over South Panola (MS), who was on the heels of winning 76 of its last 77 games and would go on to a 14-1 record and win Mississippi's state title in its largest classification. One of the national ratings services had MUS #1 overall in TN and with a #11 SOS in TN; another national ratings service had MUS #1 in TN and with a #5 SOS in TN. However, Sonny Moore's Tennessee-only ratings had MUS's SOS at #30 in the state because of the absence of the South Panola game in its SOS. As such, MUS finished #2 in Sonny Moore's ratings that year behind 6A champ White Station (13-2), despite the fact that MUS beat White Station head-to-head that year by 20 on the field (55-35).

Just thought the lack of an out-of-state game SOS factor in Sonny Moore's ratings is worth noting; it is NOT an attempt to diminish or discredit any school's, private or public, current or past ratings in Sonny Moore's ratings. Given the number of out-of-state games played each year (70 thus far this year), the excluding of out-of-state games has a domino effect on many teams in Tennessee, meaning the ratings could equally underrate or overrate a TN team, private or public (and therefore that's teams in-state opponents as well), based on how weak or strong that out-of-state opponent played was.

WOW!   Our brains must be merged. (R U Vulcan?)  You took the exact words right off my fingertips.  Thanks RRR.  S Panola (MS) and Pulaski (AR) as you know are OOS and ranked in the top ten overall in their respective states.

Yes and I understand ... But it's apples to apples none the less and far less subjective than a human poll. Not to say it is the bible either. You can look at ensworths schedule ranking and if trinity was added overall they would have a higher score. But since he is just factoring in all in state competition , mathematically it's apples to apples.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble. Nothing is perfect, and it doesn't matter...

It ranks mus and BA for that matter higher in the state than any other poll so . I understand what he is trying to do ... Take the human element ( emotions - biases ) out of the equation

Not important but fun to look at all the polls on occasion at least for me

WOW! Our brains must be merged. (R U Vulcan?) You took the exact words right off my fingertips. Thanks RRR. S Panola (MS) and Pulaski (AR) as you know are OOS and ranked in the top ten overall in their respective states.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Your attitude was very common in the '70's. Public school coaches relished playing the private schools. They thought it was a great chance to measure their programs, and they won a fair number of the games. Now, advocating public schools playing private schools qualifies you for inclusion in a museum. And I'd love to see us go back to 3 divisions, with only district champions going into the playoffs.

Ah the 70's...Minnie Pearls Chicken, The NIL, Waxies, Admiral Benbows Inn, Sir Cecil Creep, Commodore Lounge, Opryland Flume Zoom. 3 football state championships.

It is worth noting on Sonny Moore's ratings that he himself states "Only games played against the teams in the ratings are used to formulate the power ratings", meaning that out-of-state games don't factor into a Tennessee team's strength of schedule (the W or L counts, but the SOS does not).

As an example, take 2009. MUS was largely considered by any neutral party to be the state's best team that year (let's just go with it for argument's sake, even if you disagree) - nationally ranked in all of the polls and in the top 10 of many of those. One of the wins in MUS's 13-0 season was a win over South Panola (MS), who was on the heels of winning 76 of its last 77 games and would go on to a 14-1 record and win Mississippi's state title in its largest classification. One of the national ratings services had MUS #1 overall in TN and with a #11 SOS in TN; another national ratings service had MUS #1 in TN and with a #5 SOS in TN. However, Sonny Moore's Tennessee-only ratings had MUS's SOS at #30 in the state because of the absence of the South Panola game in its SOS. As such, MUS finished #2 in Sonny Moore's ratings that year behind 6A champ White Station (13-2), despite the fact that MUS beat White Station head-to-head that year by 20 on the field (55-35).

It wasn't just the absence of the S Panola win that skewed the SOS down.  MUS also beat Olive Branch MS, a top ten team who lost in the 6A semifinals to Madison Central, the eventual runner up to S Panola.

Vols head coach at BA - McCallie game . Must be happy wirh DB play

I'm not sure Butch Jones should be looking for players at those programs this year. Both are down, BA lost to FRHS this year and McCallie is on a 4 game losing streak. Not saying BA hasn't put out great players in the past but this year they are down. And I'm not sure of any good McCallie players ever. Mccallie really hasn't had any good DI players, BJ was alright but he couldn't even start at UTK.

I'm not sure Butch Jones should be looking for players at those programs this year. Both are down, BA lost to FRHS this year and McCallie is on a 4 game losing streak. Not saying BA hasn't put out great players in the past but this year they are down. And I'm not sure of any good McCallie players ever. Mccallie really hasn't had any good DI players, BJ was alright but he couldn't even start at UTK.

BA tight end Derek Barnett committed to UT last week. Wide receiver CJ Sanders has offers from UT, Ohio State and others. And that's the tip of the iceberg when one looks at BA's talented underclassmen, many of whom have drawn D1 interest.

Edited by WesVLT

Wow, another uninformed poster. While it won't be like last yr, BA will again have at least 4-5 guys go on to play college football and likely multiple guys playing @ DI pgms. Last yr's squad has 8 playing college football.  And Sanders is probably the best skill guy in the state right now and he is only a Jr (also the fastest kid in the state most likely come track season). I spoke to his mom last wk at the McCallie game and every top pgm in the country is after him. And he is only one of many. I've asked this question 100 times - where do you people come from?   I recall some other less than well thought out posts from you on this board. Now, i see this one was at 6:30 or so so i guess by now your mom has told you it is bedtime.       

You're joking, right?  Because a program is having a down year, that translates to "no one on the team is worthy of D1 college programs"?  We are having a great year in 1A (ranked #1 by Sonny Moore).  I guess by your logic that means we have a whole team of players that Butch should be looking at.  Give me a break.