3A Playoff Guess

Charlie Murphy

Here is a projected 3A bracket I put together.  I projected district finish as well as final win total and tried to estimate quality opponents. All this was based completely on current standings, record, score comparison, and coin flip in some cases. I divided quads up based on districts, just starting in district 1 and moving west, so some of those could be off. I tried to sort all the district 11 teams based on location.

And, yes, I know it will change. And yes I'm sure some of my predictions are off.

1 Alcoa

2 Gatlinburg-Pittman

3 Sullivan North

4 Pigeon Forge

5 West Greene

6 CAK

7 Chuckey-Doak

8 Happy Valley

1 Upperman

2 Polk County

3 Notre Dame

4 Tyner

5 McMinn Central

6 Sequatchie County

7 Grundy County

8 York Institute

1 CPA

2 East Nashville

3 Westmoreland

4 Lipscomb Academy

5 Cascade

6 Harpeth

7 White House Heritage

8 Smith County

1 Lewis County

2 Fairview

3 Westview

4 Hickman County

5 East Hickman

6 Manassas

7 Camden

8 Fairley

Corrected some of the geoghraphy, I'm sure not all of it. And took Stewart Co out.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a projected 3A bracket I put together. I projected district finish as well as final win total and tried to estimate quality opponents. All this was based completely on current standings, record, score comparison, and coin flip in some cases. I divided quads up based on districts, just starting in district 1 and moving west, so some of those could be off. I tried to sort all the district 11 teams based on location.

And, yes, I know it will change. And yes I'm sure some of my predictions are off.

1 Alcoa

2 Gatlinburg-Pittman

3 Sullivan North

4 Chuckey-Doak

5 West Greene

6 CAK

7 Pigeon Forge

8 Happy Valley

1 Upperman

2 Polk County

3 Notre Dame

4 Tyner

5 Smith County

6 McMinn Central

7 Sequatchie County

8 Grundy County

1 Fairview

2 East Nashville

3 Westmoreland

4 Lipscomb Academy

5 Harpeth

6 Hickman County

7 East Hickman

8 White House Heritage

1 Lewis County

2 CPA

3 Westview

4 Cascade

5 Stewart County

6 Manassas

7 Camden

8 Fairley

Fairview, Harpeth, and East Hickman would all go west before CPA

I corrected some of the geography mistakes and took Stewart co out.. Like I said, I know it won't be like this but why not make some guesses, however uninformed some may be.

I guess I could just add last friday's results to the TSSAA list and post it a day earlier than they do,,, but that's not how it's going to be in 3 weeks either!

I was interested, so I whipped up a spreadsheet and thought I would share.

Enjoy, discuss, berate, ignore,,, whatever you want!

Hey Charlie Murphy how is it you project a 2-5 Grundy County team in the playoffs as an 8 seed? Help me understand your thinking behind that because maybe I am missing something, like as to why you currently have them making the playoffs. They currently sit in 4th place in their district standings with only one win in district play. Realistically speaking, I dont think they have much of a chance of finishing their season with a record any better than 4-6. My understading is that you have to be atleast a 5 win team to make the playoffs, but I could easily be wrong about that. I dont know much about how TSSAA goes about choosing play off teams for the quads, how they are seeded, or what makes a team playoff elgibile.

Hey Charlie Murphy how is it you project a 2-5 Grundy County team in the playoffs as an 8 seed? Help me understand your thinking behind that because maybe I am missing something, like as to why you currently have them making the playoffs. They currently sit in 4th place in their district standings with only one win in district play. Realistically speaking, I dont think they have much of a chance of finishing their season with a record any better than 4-6. My understading is that you have to be atleast a 5 win team to make the playoffs, but I could easily be wrong about that. I dont know much about how TSSAA goes about choosing play off teams for the quads, how they are seeded, or what makes a team playoff elgibile.

You don't have to have 5 wins. Usually 4 wins gets you in. Some years 3 wins and a strong schedule (for tiebreaker) gets you in.

Harpeth?  Nope.

Harpeth has 5 wins now, they will be in the playoffs.

As for Grundy, wins over Bledsoe and Cumb. Co, gets them to 4 wins, and as coachrus stated that is usually enough. If Bledsoe beats Grundy they could get to 4 wins,, plug them into Grundys spot.

It won't be exactly like this, but somethings are relatively secure... It's the bubble teams that stir the mix.

Here is a projected 3A bracket I put together.  I projected district finish as well as final win total and tried to estimate quality opponents. All this was based completely on current standings, record, score comparison, and coin flip in some cases. I divided quads up based on districts, just starting in district 1 and moving west, so some of those could be off. I tried to sort all the district 11 teams based on location.

1 Alcoa

2 Gatlinburg-Pittman

3 Sullivan North

4 Pigeon Forge

5 West Greene

6 CAK

7 Chuckey-Doak

8 Happy Valley

1 Upperman

2 Polk County

3 Notre Dame

4 Tyner

5 McMinn Central

6 Sequatchie County

7 Grundy County

8 York Institute

1 CPA

2 East Nashville

3 Westmoreland

4 Lipscomb Academy

5 Cascade

6 Harpeth

7 White House Heritage

8 Smith County

1 Lewis County

2 Fairview

3 Westview

4 Hickman County

5 East Hickman

6 Manassas

7 Camden

8 Fairley

Corrected some of the geoghraphy, I'm sure not all of it. And took Stewart Co out.

I think Johnson County makes it in Quad 1

Either Tyner or Red Bank in Quad 2

Bledsoe or Grundy in Quad 2

You probably need to add at least one more team from Memphis in Quad 4 (Douglas, Frayser or Westwood).

So who comes off? In this scenario McMinn Central and Smith County.

Edited by coachrus