Rockwood @ Grace Christian

Wired4Football

WPSI first of all thank you for the mutual respect post (discussion). I wanted to let you know that out of our 13 seniors 4 have been at GCA  since 1st grade 2 since before the 4th grade, 4 started GCA in middle school 2 as freshman and 1 during HS. Since I am a parent and very, very, close to the program, I happen to know what each of our coaches make, and their pay is lower than any other average Knox. Co school football coach. I for one with the staff we have think they should get a raise and I am pushing the board and AD for that to happen this year.  One of the coaches cant even afford to send his own kid to GCA. All of us look at our programs with Rose colored glasses and we all have issues, but I just hate when people look at our name Grace Christian and actually think we are all wealthy tyrants. My personal example. I sent my son (plays football)  and my daughter (who does not play a sport)  to GCA for the academics and Christ centered curriculum. I could save over 1000.00 a month for retirement and send my kids to Hardin Valley where they would be in overcrowded classrooms with over 45 other students and not have the Christian curriculum. It is a struggle but I made that choice. I have many close friends that made that same choice for their kids, and I can assure you football was an after thought. Sorry for the long post,  I just can't get over some of the stereotypes that people have about privates. I know I will never convince anyone of the good people at GCA but, I will hold my head high when I say my Children went to GCA with the icing on the cake for my son a possible trip to state. Thanks for the discussion.

Edited by wpasi

It's easy to make excuses why a team loses...and even easier to put blame and pass judgment. The irony is that Grace is the Goliath and Rockwood, David. I think we all remember how that story ended. rockwood comes out the victor in a ground and pound rockwood-led slugfest.

I love it Go BIG GREEN!

WPSI first of all thank you for the mutual respect post (discussion). I wanted to let you know that out of our 13 seniors 4 have been at GCA  since 1st grade 2 since before the 4th grade, 4 started GCA in middle school 2 as freshman and 1 during HS. Since I am a parent and very, very, close to the program, I happen to know what each of our coaches make, and their pay is lower than any other average Knox. Co school football coach. I for one with the staff we have think they should get a raise and I am pushing the board and AD for that to happen this year.  One of the coaches cant even afford to send his own kid to GCA. All of us look at our programs with Rose colored glasses and we all have issues, but I just hate when people look at our name Grace Christian and actually think we are all wealthy tyrants. My personal example. I sent my son (plays football)  and my daughter (who does not play a sport)  to GCA for the academics and Christ centered curriculum. I could save over 1000.00 a month for retirement and send my kids to Hardin Valley where they would be in overcrowded classrooms with over 45 other students and not have the Christian curriculum. It is a struggle but I made that choice. I have many close friends that made that same choice for their kids, and I can assure you football was an after thought. Sorry for the long post,  I just can't get over some of the stereotypes that people have about privates. I know I will never convince anyone of the good people at GCA but, I will hold my head high when I say my Children went to GCA with the icing on the cake for my son a possible trip to state. Thanks for the discussion.

How many classes per day do your coaches teach? How many staff, IEP, and Proffessional Development meetings do they attend per week? Do they have to worry about test scores and school improvement scores in order to keep their jobs? Do they have bus duty , cafeteria duty , or have to monitor halls between classes? Do they have to write lesson plans daily and be evaluated in the classroom by administrators on a regular basis? Do they ever have to paint the field for every home game? (never mind already know that answer) Do they ever have to take kids home after practice 15-20 miles out of their way? Do they ever have to sit with a kid after a road game til 3:00 in the morning waiting for someone to come get them? Do they have to worry about their players having the money to eat after a game? Do they have to have car washes , sell sno cones, banners , discount cards , candy bars , donuts , and have countless other fundraisers just to have enough money to recondition the helmets each year?  

I know the answers to most of those questions....I also know that your out of the loop somewhere if you think your coaches make less money than most public school coaches. But even if they did they dont have NEARLY the responsibility and problems to deal with as public school coaches.

16jjn try not to get too delusional.....that biblical story your referring to is a bit overstated in this instance.  Rockwood is every bit the underdog in the game but they have some pieces that should bother GCA.  No team.....no matter how well made they are....is invincable.  That being said, I expect GCA will win the game by a minimum of 2 touchdowns.

By the way.....have you seen the stuff on that campus?  Someone has DEEP POCKETS! 

Kaz

How many classes per day do your coaches teach? How many staff, IEP, and Proffessional Development meetings do they attend per week? Do they have to worry about test scores and school improvement scores in order to keep their jobs? Do they have bus duty , cafeteria duty , or have to monitor halls between classes? Do they have to write lesson plans daily and be evaluated in the classroom by administrators on a regular basis? Do they ever have to paint the field for every home game? (never mind already know that answer) Do they ever have to take kids home after practice 15-20 miles out of their way? Do they ever have to sit with a kid after a road game til 3:00 in the morning waiting for someone to come get them? Do they have to worry about their players having the money to eat after a game? Do they have to have car washes , sell sno cones, banners , discount cards , candy bars , donuts , and have countless other fundraisers just to have enough money to recondition the helmets each year?  

I know the answers to most of those questions....I also know that your out of the loop somewhere if you think your coaches make less money than most public school coaches. But even if they did they dont have NEARLY the responsibility and problems to deal with as public school coaches.

Edited by wpasi

I've read this whole thread...put it to bed: Kyron & Demarcus the RW xfers - are awesome kids. The largest majority of the RW family still love them and wish them nothing but the best. Quite frankly I don't care if you recruit or even pay for kids...these are all still kids. Kids deserve opportunities adults are supposed to act like adults and live and exemplify a higher standard.

Nice try posing as a Rockwood fan.  You got the picture off our Website two days ago.  I agree that kids are kids and to leave them alone.  There is a reason Grace is the most hated team in East Tennessee.  They have shown no class in the past.  Not the kids, the adults.  Coaches play JV games like they are Friday Nights with Rosters and the whole deal.  Secondly, Grace doesn't allow space for visting Coaches, Film Girls, or the Visiting Broadcasting People.  Third, they have and do recruit kids to their programs.  They have been caught cheating, but only after they won championships. yes, they were stripped of their Basketball championships, meanwhile the teams that they faced were stripped of the opportunity to win the championship.  As a christian and head of my schools FCA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, it is embarassing and a disgrace when a school claims to wear the Christian Banner, but then the actions they portray speak louder.  Why would any athiest want to become Christian when this private school claims something but their actions prove otherwise.  Finally, Private schools should play private schools.  Public should play Public.  Oh Yes and GO TIGERS!!! 

Edited by bosshog1

Go OLDEAGLE

Nice try posing as a Rockwood fan.  You got the picture off our Website two days ago.  I agree that kids are kids and to leave them alone.  There is a reason Grace is the most hated team in East Tennessee.  They have shown no class in the past.  Not the kids, the adults.  Coaches play JV games like they are Friday Nights with Rosters and the whole deal.  Secondly, Grace doesn't allow space for visting Coaches, Film Girls, or the Visiting Broadcasting People.  Third, they have and do recruit kids to their programs.  They have been caught cheating, but only after they won championships. yes, they were stripped of their Basketball championships, meanwhile the teams that they faced were stripped of the opportunity to win the championship.  As a christian and head of my schools FCA, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, it is embarassing and a disgrace when a school claims to where the Christian Banner, but then the actions they portray speak louder.  Why would any athiest want to become Christian when this private school claims something but their actions prove otherwise.  Finally, Private schools should play private schools.  Public should play Public.  Oh Yes and GO TIGERS!!! 

Well said Bossman.