6A Playoffs

mjuhb

9AAA got slighted here. District Champ draws franklin, runner-up 4 hours to Arlington; only to setup a round two rematch of week 10. This system is truly flawed. A district champ should never have to face the runner-up that early. SMH

You all are in the weakest quad in the bracket.  Would you rather play someone from 7AAA?  Franklin has a good team in a down region.  Their record is strong but they had an extremely weak schedule.  I like Station Camp in this one.  

You all are in the weakest quad in the bracket. Would you rather play someone from 7AAA? Franklin has a good team in a down region. Their record is strong but they had an extremely weak schedule. I like Station Camp in this one.

Not saying that! Lol

I just don't like a champion and runner up paired in the same half of a quad.

I haven't seen franklin, Arlington or Overton play, but I like SC's chances to come out of it.

Quad 1 

8 Bradley 5-5 at 1 Maryville 10-0 D4W

5 D-B 6-4 D1RUP at 4 Morristown East 9-1 D2RUP

7 Cookeville 6-4 at 2 Sevier Co 9-1 D2W

6 Farragut 6-4 at 3 Science Hill 8-2D1W

Quad 2

8 Wilson 6-4 at 1 Oakland 10-0 D7W

5 Siegel 7-3 at 4 Antioch 5-5 D12RUP

7 Cane Ridge 6-4 at 2 Ravenwood 9-1 D11W

6 Smyrna 6-4 at 3 Blackman 8-2 D7RUP

Quad 3 

8 McGavock 5-5 at 1 Overton 10-0 D12W

5 Indy 7-3 D11RUP at 4 Rossview 9-1 D10RUP 

7 Franklin 8-2 at 2 Station Camp 8-2 D9W

6 Hendersonville 7-3 D9RUP at 3 Arlington 8-2 D14W

Quad 4

8 Cordova 6-4 at 1 Whitehaven 8-2 D16W

5 Houston 8-2 at 4 White Station 6-4 D16RUP

7 Memphis Central 6-4 at 2 Brighton 8-2 D13W

6 Collierville 7-3 at 3 Southwind 7-3 D15RUP

1st Round

Maryville

Morristown East

Sevier Co

Science Hill

Oakland

Siegel

Ravenwood

Blackman

Overton

Rossview

Arlington

Station Camp

Whitehaven

White Station

Brighton

Southwind

2nd Round

Maryville

Sevier Co

Oakland

Backman

Rossview

Station Camp

Whitehaven

Brighton

QuarterFinal

Maryville

Oakland

Station Camp

Whitehaven

SemiFinal 

Maryville

Whitehaven

Maryville the final game

Does anybody have a quick link to the matrix the TSSAA uses. I want to look and see which teams just missed the playoffs etc. I'm just being lazy, but I really dislike the TSSAA website.

They always take down/ don't update the statewide standings once the brackets are out. I started a thread this past week in regard to incorrect numbers for Southwind, thinking it might prompt others to look a little more closely at the accuracy of what the TSSAA was using in all classes. Judging by the replies to that thread, there either weren't any other errors or no one really cared to look for them. Thankfully, in the Southwind case the TSSAA's incorrect figures (which they never corrected on their site) didn't affect the proper placement of teams in the bracket -- or far worse, like last year, who actually qualifies. Obviously, they don't want those standings up for people to scrutinize after the fact. 

So there's no link to provide, but I can tell you that in 6A all teams with at least 6 wins got in (29 of those) plus 5-win Antioch which was an automatic qualifier as District 12's runner-up. That left 2 spots for 7 teams with 5 wins. Here's how those 5-win teams finished in the statewide standings.

31. McGavock

32. Bradley Central

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

33. Franklin Co.

34. Hardin Valley

35. Germantown

36. Powell

37. Centennial

In 5A all teams with at least 5 wins got in which made it pretty easy since there were 32 of those. As to their statewide ranking, Cherokee was no. 31 and Lenoir City was no. 32. Here's how the 4-win teams -- 7 of them -- finished in the playoff standings.

33. Daniel Boone

34. Clarksville

35. Morristown West

36. Knox Central

37. Clinton

38. Columbia

39. Memphis Overton

• Upvote 1

Look at what Overton did last season at a higher seeded Arlington school.  Ravenwood better watch out.  Also, Overton is going to be a handful in the playoffs.  D12 will make a little
Like I said, the way they are playing right now, it is going to a very good game.  I, for one, am not a Cane Ridge supporter, for obvious reasons. But my question to you, have you seen them play this season.  They are truly peaking at the right time.  On paper it looks like a mismatch, on the field is going to be a battle.  Look at what Overton did last season at a higher seeded Arlington school.  Ravenwood better watch out.  Also, Overton is going to be a handful in the playoffs.  D12 will make a little noise.

Arlington had lost their 3year starting QB in the 5 th game last year (collarbone). They were able to hang on to get to the playoffs, and were hoping to get their starter back for the Overton game. However, the doctors did not clear him until the week after the playoff loss. Overton just had too much for AHS that night. Overton was definitely one of the most talented teams AHS played last year and based on their record seems to have gotten even better.

Arlington is in a weak district. "Higher seed" frequently doesn't mean a lot.....

I disagree, weak is relative to what? AHS beat Oakland last year, and lost their starting QB in the 5th game to a collarbone. He was a 3yr starter, who lead the metro or was in the top 2 or 3 every year. I believe he led the metro in passing last year even though he only played 4.5 games last year. Different team without him. I thought we were beyond comparing districts based on past performances, every year can be and often is different. Look at Oakland this year vs last. Is that because of the district or in spite of it?

I watched them whoop AHS 39-0 and saw us beat them by 10 in a game that frankly wasn't that close last year. Oakland Is no doubt stronger this year than last and will give anyone a tough game including Maryville. I would not be surprised if they win it all, they are that good and yet lost 5 or so last year. The difference IMO between last and this year is their team is better, not that their district is weaker.

Edited by JamieWiley

IMO Arlington is in a weak district.  You are welcome to disagree.

My comment had NOTHING to do with the quality of Arlington's team last year or this year.

The point had to do with SEEDING.  You may or may not be a outstanding team, but you are not necessarily one just because you win your district and get a high seed..  A "higher seed" does not necessarily denote a higher caliber team.  "Strength of Schedule" and District/Quad context are relevant.   

Edited by owlbooster