Best Team NOT in the Playoffs

devilsden

Who has the best football team that DIDN'T make the playoffs this year? I'm talking about teams with the best record, not somebody's idea on this team is better than that team.  Bottom line is record only.  How many 5-5 teams didn't make the playoffs in 5A & 6A?  Good luck to all teams thiscoming Friday, cause there will be 16 winners and 16 losers in each class.

Edited by devilsden

I get what you are asking but can a 5-5 team be considered best?  Quite frankly 5-5 don't deserve to be in the playoffs unless they have played and beat unbelievably tough competition (which last I checked, no TN teams outside of a game or two play a national schedule that would fit that criteria).  There are other states where 7-3, 8-2, and sometimes even 9-1 teams have been left out, where making the playoffs is actually an accomplishment but in TN the first round has become the equivalent of the Kroger Discontinued Canned Goods Bowl where everyone gets to play for a money grab, competition be darned.

I would like to see a return to the Bowl Format where only the very best make the playoffs and the rest would play in a Bowl game against a similarly scaled team.  This would make more games completive in the first rounds instead of glorified practice games.  Also, more teams would end the year on an upswing.  Just a thought. And give the fans bragging rights.