William Blount offseason thread

Governm

91 your are right too! To be a good team you need balance on both offense and defense. But for a coach to have a great team it starts with the staff that he surrounds himself with at i.e. asst coaches. Those are the ones that help build the wall of success around you. BUT MOST of all, you as a head coach have to be able to determine who that guy in the middle is that is slowly causing it to crumble. The winner has the most points on the board at the end of the game and that starts with offense. The O cordinator needs to be on his game and from what I see he has no game.

91 your are right too! To be a good team you need balance on both offense and defense. But for a coach to have a great team it starts with the staff that he surrounds himself with at i.e. asst coaches. Those are the ones that help build the wall of success around you. BUT MOST of all, you as a head coach have to be able to determine who that guy in the middle is that is slowly causing it to crumble. The winner has the most points on the board at the end of the game and that starts with offense. The O cordinator needs to be on his game and from what I see he has no game.

I think the OC will retain his title again this year....but, I think he will be in the press box this year and Coach Ridge will actually be the one calling the plays....JMO.  I also expect the Whitehead brothers to have the defense much improved.  I think everyone knows that we had better talent than 2 wins last year, and outside of Maryville and West, they competed very well with everyone on their schedule, and was less than 20 points away from having 5 or 6 wins. The coaches are working their butts off to get better, and looking at the players that are returning, I fully expect to have a better TEAM this year.  So far, I think the kids have had very productive off season workouts, and hopefully that will continue through the summer.   If the coaches continue to work hard and improve, and the kids continue to work hard, I see this season being one that we can be proud of.......that, along with other changes that have taken place, should be the stepping stones that will continue to build that program in the coming years.

I hope so. The guys played their tails off. You make a good  point. We had I believe 4 or 5 games that were lost by less than 3 or 4 points and could have easily went the other way. The team played with a lot of heart. I will continue to buy my ticket on friday night regardless. The boys deserve the support!

I believe that WB competed well in every game except the maryville and Hardin valley game. Im not putting West in there because wb played really hard in that game and West was just a much better team.

When I say "competed with" I am referring to talent level.  IMO, our talent level matched up pretty well with everyone except Maryville and West.  We didn't play well at HV, gave them a quick 10 or 14 ponts off two turnovers on our first three plays and never recovered, but I didn't feel that HV had a lot more talent than us.  If we played West and Maryville 10 times last year, they win all 10 times, but those were the only teams we played that I felt we couldn't matchup.  

I think the talent level on this years team will be as good as what we had last year, with the biggest questions being, can we find a RB to replace Otis, and will the coaches get them in the right spots?.....coaches just have to get them playing up to their full potential more consistently, and better play calling will go a long way toward doing this.  But going into this season, the players should know that they can compete with most anybody on their schedule.  I even look for the West game to be a better game this year, if I am not mistaken our JV either beat West or played them down to the wire in a very close game.....I am not saying we will win that game, but we definitely will have the ability to make it more competitive.

Edited by jake

West will be really tough again. They return pretty much all of their key players from a team that made the state championship as far as i know. I do know that cottrell will be back and he is enough is to give any team trouble.they also have a stud receiver who played on the freshman team last year (number 17 i think?) who will prolly be starting on varsity this year. He was really fast.. Our freshman team didnt have an answer for him , he pretty much beat us singlehandedly, even though our team as a whole was prolly better.

Edited by Governors91

I heard Devin Fair is back on the team,is that true? If so it is good news.

Whatever.....there has to be a limit to how many times a player can quit and be allowed to keep coming back.  He has great potential, no doubt, but quitting before the season is over has been a problem since youth football.  Hope it turns out different this time.

Whatever.....there has to be a limit to how many times a player can quit and be allowed to keep coming back. He has great potential, no doubt, but quitting before the season is over has been a problem since youth football. Hope it turns out different this time.

well we will see.. Im just excited he is coming back because the rb position was going to be a big question mark going into next season and he was showing lots of promise early last year.