Giles Co. @ Pearl Cohn

JAFO

"The Firebirds were penalized 20 times for 190 yards, and the Bobcats were penalized nine times for 85 yards"

"The kids fought hard all the way through the game, but I'm sorry, you can't beat (Giles County) and the referees," Pearl-Cohn coach Tony Brunetti said. "Every run we had was a flag. They're going to call what they see, but I've never seen so many flags in my life." - Tennessean

ahh!!  ..trust me my friend you will get use to after a while .. i can go way back ..i remember playoff games from panthers past seasons that refs were way to much involved with altering the games outcome ..(i'm pretty sure its happened to other teams as well) all i can is just get use to it... its going to happen ..nobody thinks its wrong ..and even worse no one is going to do anything about it.. and if you say anything folks gonna think your sour and bitter ..even though they saw the same game you saw.. its from a different point of view ..whats wrong to you will be right to the others as long as it benefits them ..who is going to review it..? who is going overturn it..?  who is going to overrule it..? 

its just that time of year you have to factor in " T$$AA politics"  teams playing where they are from ...fans support ...travel 

its all about who is gonna make them the most money ..

- boski 

yea im use to it. i played in it. but like you said its sad that no one will say or do anything about. heck rosevelt was at the game watchin it happen so, i guess the fix was in. 200 yrds in penalties is absurd and you prolly wont see it again in these playoffs. and to address the issue about the kids behavior its only so much that you can deal with when youve put months and hrs in to get ready for that moment and you're clearly being cheated out of the game.

The fix was in...

yea im use to it. i played in it. but like you said its sad that no one will say or do anything about. heck rosevelt was at the game watchin it happen so, i guess the fix was in. 200 yrds in penalties is absurd and you prolly wont see it again in these playoffs. and to address the issue about the kids behavior its only so much that you can deal with when youve put months and hrs in to get ready for that moment and you're clearly being cheated out of the game.

The fix was in...

GC would beat PC at least 9 out of 10 times,  GC won by 50+ last time these two played. 

This was most likely PC's best possible outcome against GC. 

Here is an article that tells the gameline way better,  You know, without all the whinning.

NASHVILLE – In one of the most dominant defensive performances in program playoff history, fourth-seeded Giles County stunned top seed Pearl Cohn 23-7 Friday night to advance to the TSSAA Class 4A State Quarterfinals.

In a matchup of two of the premier midstate squads in Class 4A, the Bobcats (10-2) frustrated the high-powered Firebird offensive attack, holding the squad to just 228 yards of total offense and never allowing an offensive score.

The Bobcat offensive attack, meanwhile, used a quick start to build a 14-0 first quarter lead that they would never relinquish.

Trevor Holder put the Bobcats up 7-0 early late in the first quarter when he leapt over the goal line for a one-yard score.

After the Bobcats forced a Firebird turnover on the ensuing kickoff, Holder would extend the Bobcat lead to two scores when he hooked up with Bobcat wideout Kenton Baker on a 62-yard touchdown with 2:00 remaining in the first quarter.

The ensuing Firebird drive ended with a shanked punt and briefly looked as if it might give the Bobcats a chance to take a stranglehold on the game.

Holder fumbled the ensuing snap, however, and defensive lineman Caleb McLamb rumbled 65 yards for what proved to be the club’s only score of the night for the Firebirds (10-2).

The Bobcats looked as if they might add further points just before halftime, but a fade pass from Holder was knocked around as time expired.

Leading 14-7 at the break, the third quarter turned in to a house of horrors for both teams as both squads committed numerous penalties and suffered several injuries.

The Bobcats tacked on two points in the third, however, as an errant snap sailed over the head of punter Robert Bailey and out of the back of the endzone for a safety.

Holding a nine-point lead for much of the rest of the contest, the Bobcats tacked on a game-clinching score late in the fourth quarter when Jordan Tucker rumbled in for a 37-yard score that extended the lead to 23-7.

The 16-point lead was more than enough for the Bobcat defense, however as they forced three turnover on downs, recovered two fumbles and an interception while allowing just one red zone trip on the evening.

“I really just can’t begin to say enough about our defense tonight,†Bobcats head coach Walt Smith said. “Those guys were absolutely amazing. Their preparation was fantastic this week and they were lights out all night long tonight.â€

Holder finished the night 13-of-18 through the air for 197 yards and a touchdown. Unofficially, the junior also had seven carries for five yards with a touchdown and two fumbles.

Baker finished the night with five catches for 91 yards and a score, while also playing quarterback in the team’s “Bobcat†formation in the fourth quarter.

Senior running back Brandon Houston finished with nine carries for 53 yards on the ground for the Bobcats, who racked up 119 yards and two scores on the ground.

With the win, the Bobcats recorded their third straight second-round victory and earned a matchup next Friday with White House in the Class 4A Quarterfinals.

The second-seeded Blue Devils (10-2) fended off third-seeded Lexington 21-14 in their second round matchup Friday night.

“This was a tremendous win for our program tonight,†Smith said. “Our kids were hungry for a win and they played tough for four quarters. Next week will be another tough test against a great team. White House is a good ball club and has beaten some really good teams. We will need to bring another strong effort to be able to knock them off.â€

GC would beat PC at least 9 out of 10 times,  GC won by 50+ last time these two played. 

This was most likely PC's best possible outcome against GC. 

wasnt starting a debate but... facts is facts and everybody that was a witness to that game seen what happened. regardless of who you were going for. but your opinion is that YOUR opinion. 200 yds of flags speak for itself. woulda been nice to see a fair called game then the outcome would be respected.

Here is an article that tells the gameline way better,  You know, without all the whinning.

NASHVILLE – In one of the most dominant defensive performances in program playoff history, fourth-seeded Giles County stunned top seed Pearl Cohn 23-7 Friday night to advance to the TSSAA Class 4A State Quarterfinals.

In a matchup of two of the premier midstate squads in Class 4A, the Bobcats (10-2) frustrated the high-powered Firebird offensive attack, holding the squad to just 228 yards of total offense and never allowing an offensive score.

The Bobcat offensive attack, meanwhile, used a quick start to build a 14-0 first quarter lead that they would never relinquish.

Trevor Holder put the Bobcats up 7-0 early late in the first quarter when he leapt over the goal line for a one-yard score.

After the Bobcats forced a Firebird turnover on the ensuing kickoff, Holder would extend the Bobcat lead to two scores when he hooked up with Bobcat wideout Kenton Baker on a 62-yard touchdown with 2:00 remaining in the first quarter.

The ensuing Firebird drive ended with a shanked punt and briefly looked as if it might give the Bobcats a chance to take a stranglehold on the game.

Holder fumbled the ensuing snap, however, and defensive lineman Caleb McLamb rumbled 65 yards for what proved to be the club’s only score of the night for the Firebirds (10-2).

The Bobcats looked as if they might add further points just before halftime, but a fade pass from Holder was knocked around as time expired.

Leading 14-7 at the break, the third quarter turned in to a house of horrors for both teams as both squads committed numerous penalties and suffered several injuries.

The Bobcats tacked on two points in the third, however, as an errant snap sailed over the head of punter Robert Bailey and out of the back of the endzone for a safety.

Holding a nine-point lead for much of the rest of the contest, the Bobcats tacked on a game-clinching score late in the fourth quarter when Jordan Tucker rumbled in for a 37-yard score that extended the lead to 23-7.

The 16-point lead was more than enough for the Bobcat defense, however as they forced three turnover on downs, recovered two fumbles and an interception while allowing just one red zone trip on the evening.

“I really just can’t begin to say enough about our defense tonight,†Bobcats head coach Walt Smith said. “Those guys were absolutely amazing. Their preparation was fantastic this week and they were lights out all night long tonight.â€

Holder finished the night 13-of-18 through the air for 197 yards and a touchdown. Unofficially, the junior also had seven carries for five yards with a touchdown and two fumbles.

Baker finished the night with five catches for 91 yards and a score, while also playing quarterback in the team’s “Bobcat†formation in the fourth quarter.

Senior running back Brandon Houston finished with nine carries for 53 yards on the ground for the Bobcats, who racked up 119 yards and two scores on the ground.

With the win, the Bobcats recorded their third straight second-round victory and earned a matchup next Friday with White House in the Class 4A Quarterfinals.

The second-seeded Blue Devils (10-2) fended off third-seeded Lexington 21-14 in their second round matchup Friday night.

“This was a tremendous win for our program tonight,†Smith said. “Our kids were hungry for a win and they played tough for four quarters. Next week will be another tough test against a great team. White House is a good ball club and has beaten some really good teams. We will need to bring another strong effort to be able to knock them off.â€

lmao what a joke.. good article tho. "The Cover-up"

wasnt starting a debate but... facts is facts and everybody that was a witness to that game seen what happened. regardless of who you were going for. but your opinion is that YOUR opinion. 200 yds of flags speak for itself. woulda been nice to see a fair called game then the outcome would be respected.

You might have noticed a bunch of flags thrown on GC as well.  Looked to some of us that the stripes were doing everything they could to keep PC in the game. 

Calling it a half when time was clearly still on the clock.

There was a stretch in the 3rd that GC went from 1st and ten to 1st and 20 or 25 on like 3 consecutive possessions. 

Honestly did you not see all the infighting with the PC players.  If it had been a PC vs GC player there would have been 7 or 8 more flags.

You might have noticed a bunch of flags thrown on GC as well.  Looked to some of us that the stripes were doing everything they could to keep PC in the game. 

Calling it a half when time was clearly still on the clock.

There was a stretch in the 3rd that GC went from 1st and ten to 1st and 20 or 25 on like 3 consecutive possessions. 

Honestly did you not see all the infighting with the PC players.  If it had been a PC vs GC player there would have been 7 or 8 more flags.

GC had 9 penalties PC had 20... you only run 45-50 plays in a high school game. what game was you looking at?? and dont mention the 2nd half because the first drive of the 2nd half they called back 4  long runs in a row back to back to back to back it was 3rd and 40 something. did you miss that. obviously you did. vaughn was well on his way to 200+ yds rushing. you dont have to play much defense when they calling big plays back like that. thats unheard of. but i guess we'll say the defense shut him down. no the zebras did. Games over we'll be back next year. goodluck to yall and them refs going forward.

Admittedly, I was not at the game. And 20 penalties does seem excessive. But from my experience this is how I view what happened. Pearl was use to pushing teams around and having their way with them. Giles is by far the best team Pearl has played (other then MBA). When things didn't go Pearl's way early they started to panic and when this happens it can lead to penalties. Playing against a defense who is quick and every bit as athletic as you yourself can lead to mistakes if you aren't prepared. In my opinion this is what happened to Pearl, they weren't prepared for what they went up against. Just because Pearl hadn't been called for penalties in past games in no way indicates they were not guilty of penalties in this game. In past games Pearl was athletically superior and had no need to hold or block in the back.

Tell me, would it be a more fairly called contest if the refs had just not called the holding penalties? How would this be fair to the Giles players?

Excuses are what people make when they are not man enough to take responsibility for their actions. Anyone can be gracious in victory but it takes a special athlete and a great competitor and sportsman to be gracious in defeat. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team, and concede that they were better on this given night.

Or keep blaming the refs and making excuses, if that helps you sleep at night.

The fix was in...

yeah ..i'm sure we wont see it again this season ...because all the metro teams are out... and i agree.. yes these young men will lose their tempers when they know or feel that they are being cheated .. you ask what else is there to do?  .. its like being backed into a corner and you have no choice but to come out fighting and that's what these young men do is let loose ..not saying its right .. but its exactly what they want them to do.. so it doesn't look so bad if the refs are giving em the business because it appears these guys are out of control..  ...iv'e seen it so many times ..its routine ... its TN football ..at its worst! what can you do??

Admittedly, I was not at the game. And 20 penalties does seem excessive. But from my experience this is how I view what happened. Pearl was use to pushing teams around and having their way with them. Giles is by far the best team Pearl has played (other then MBA). When things didn't go Pearl's way early they started to panic and when this happens it can lead to penalties. Playing against a defense who is quick and every bit as athletic as you yourself can lead to mistakes if you aren't prepared. In my opinion this is what happened to Pearl, they weren't prepared for what they went up against. Just because Pearl hadn't been called for penalties in past games in no way indicates they were not guilty of penalties in this game. In past games Pearl was athletically superior and had no need to hold or block in the back.

Tell me, would it be a more fairly called contest if the refs had just not called the holding penalties? How would this be fair to the Giles players?

Excuses are what people make when they are not man enough to take responsibility for their actions. Anyone can be gracious in victory but it takes a special athlete and a great competitor and sportsman to be gracious in defeat. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the other team, and concede that they were better on this given night.

Or keep blaming the refs and making excuses, if that helps you sleep at night.

you'd def had to be there to see what happened. i can see where you get you conclusions from just reading papers. but that far from what actually happened friday night. btw the behavior wasnt as bad as THEY gone make it seem. it didnt get bad til the refs start throwing flags back to back to back. all long runs. that def changed the game. noway you throwing a flag on a play and the kid in clearly 40 yrds down field 3x in a row. bs.

yeah ..i'm sure we wont see it again this season ...because all the metro teams are out... and i agree.. yes these young men will lose their tempers when they know or feel that they are being cheated .. you ask what else is there to do?  .. its like being backed into a corner and you have no choice but to come out fighting and that's what these young men do is let loose ..not saying its right .. but its exactly what they want them to do.. so it doesn't look so bad if the refs are giving em the business because it appears these guys are out of control..  ...iv'e seen it so many times ..its routine ... its TN football ..at its worst! what can you do??

its sad for the sport in whole. me honestly I eat, sleep and live football and its terrible to see what happen friday happen with out a word being said.