Henry Co. vs. Memphis East. Round 2

SEC1rules

I can't speak too much on how Memphis East looks now but they have a good Head Coach and obviously a super solid defense (they held Whitehaven to 10 points).

I think they'll be competitive early on but the Home field advantage along with lack of Depth will be too much at the end. I think Henry Co. will be moving on. Over/under 28 points. I think it'll be a low scoring affair. 

Hope you are right BHS.  Though not what I expected to hear from you.  You aren't employing a little chicanery are you?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have to make it out to this one.....

Great to hear Kev! You know we'll feed you before the game, so come hungry! This should be a great matchup, looking forward to it!!!

I can't speak too much on how Memphis East looks now but they have a good Head Coach and obviously a super solid defense (they held Whitehaven to 10 points).

I think they'll be competitive early on but the Home field advantage along with lack of Depth will be too much at the end. I think Henry Co. will be moving on. Over/under 28 points. I think it'll be a low scoring affair. 

Thanks BHS! I saw some of the Whitehaven game and the Ridgeway game as well. They look pretty good on Defense. Also, I see they run alot more than they pass. Big power fullback and quick tailback. Their line doesn't look overly big but good speed on d-line. Don't see many (maybe one) going both ways. But like you said, not many substitutions in the game same 22-25 kids played the whole game. I don't know how good Millington was, but that was a lower scoring game than I thought.

I witnessed East beating Whitehaven, so I saw them up close and personal. They have a solid team and are fundamentally sound. Plenty of size up front and speed to burn. They are a tough scrappy bunch. You guys both have a common opponent in Ridgeway. HC beat Ridgeway 32 - 22. East beat Ridgeway 33-20. That kind of sums it up. East's two losses came in district to the other 2 6A teams in District 16 ... White Station and Central ... who are both in the 2nd round of the playoffs. As a matter of fact, all five of the District 16 teams in 5A and 6A are playing in the second round. East beat two of them (Whitehaven and Melrose) and lost to two of them by a combined score of 7 points.

I've seen all three of the Memphis 5A teams play up close an personal because Whitehaven played all three and I was in attendance for each of them. East has the better defense of the three in my opinion. East has explosiveness on offense as well. East beat Whitehaven 13-10, but they also had 3 TD's called back for one reason or another. They are a very capable team. I think the winner of the East/Henry County game makes it through the third round to the semi-finals at the least.

I picked East to win this game In my Big Games in Memphis thread. (That is an upset pick) I picked them to win because I think they won't be fazed by your home crowd and I think they have the 'D' to contend with your explosive offense. However, East is the underdog in this game and rightly so. Henry County is suppose to win this game.

I witnessed East beating Whitehaven, so I saw them up close and personal. They have a solid team and are fundamentally sound. Plenty of size up front and speed to burn. They are a tough scrappy bunch. You guys both have a common opponent in Ridgeway. HC beat Ridgeway 32 - 22. East beat Ridgeway 33-20. That kind of sums it up. East's two losses came in district to the other 2 6A teams in District 16 ... White Station and Central ... who are both in the 2nd round of the playoffs. As a matter of fact, all five of the District 16 teams in 5A and 6A are playing in the second round. East beat two of them (Whitehaven and Melrose) and lost to two of them by a combined score of 7 points.

I've seen all three of the Memphis 5A teams play up close an personal because Whitehaven played all three and I was in attendance for each of them. East has the better defense of the three in my opinion. East has explosiveness on offense as well. East beat Whitehaven 13-10, but they also had 3 TD's called back for one reason or another. They are a very capable team. I think the winner of the East/Henry County game makes it through the third round to the semi-finals at the least.

I picked East to win this game In my Big Games in Memphis thread. (That is an upset pick) I picked them to win because I think they won't be fazed by your home crowd and I think they have the 'D' to contend with your explosive offense. However, East is the underdog in this game and rightly so. Henry County is suppose to win this game.

Thanks for your assessment kwc! I knew both you and BHS would give a good opinion that wasn't too biased. Henry County's biggest asset this year is their Defense. The offensive unit is a very strong unit that is more of a grind it out type bunch as opposed to the shock and awe of years past. Nonetheless, I like this bunch and their workmanlike attitude. Special teams will come into play big time in this one. Looking forward to a great game Friday night. One thing I don't agree with is that the Mustangs will be unfazed by the homefield crowd noise and atmosphere. It's hard to play at Patriot Stadium when its rocking during the playoffs. I think they will be affected, hard not to be. Bigger and louder than the big crowds that Melrose used to put in the stands at Orange Mound, plus a 3 hour bus ride to boot. Still, Friday night can't get here soon enough!

Go Big RED!!!

Thanks for your assessment kwc! I knew both you and BHS would give a good opinion that wasn't too biased. Henry County's biggest asset this year is their Defense. The offensive unit is a very strong unit that is more of a grind it out type bunch as opposed to the shock and awe of years past. Nonetheless, I like this bunch and their workmanlike attitude. Special teams will come into play big time in this one. Looking forward to a great game Friday night. One thing I don't agree with is that the Mustangs will be unfazed by the homefield crowd noise and atmosphere. It's hard to play at Patriot Stadium when its rocking during the playoffs. I think they will be affected, hard not to be. Bigger and louder than the big crowds that Melrose used to put in the stands at Orange Mound, plus a 3 hour bus ride to boot. Still, Friday night can't get here soon enough!

Go Big RED!!!

Drewcephus:

East has seen the big crowds and they have experienced the noise. (Whitehaven and White Station - large crowds with big bands that play throughout the game) Both White Station and Whitehaven's bands are HUGE & LOUD. The 3 hour bus ride will affect East the same way it affected Henry County when they traveled to play Melrose back in the day ... not too much)

They've been there and done that.

However, my comments weren't a result of the crucible of noise and large crowds you can face playing in District 16. My comments were more directed towards the whole demeanor of the team. The one thing I noticed about those young men when we played them is the amount of focus they exhibited. They don't panic and they don't quit.

Your atmosphere may faze them .... I could be totally wrong on this. I just don't think so. They are very good at being road warriors. It fits them. You get the impression that they love adversity and a challenge. It's like they relish in it.

I could be totally wrong on this but that was my impression.