CPA Basketball

bjl1929

Here is my 2 cents worth, not that anyone cares. I don't know who Icecreamman is and don't really need to know, but if this man feels his son has been hurt by anything which has been said on this site, then shame on anyone who posted it. At the end of the day, high school athletics, including everything from football and bowling is for the KIDS ONLY!!! I don't how or why the current team at CPA got there and at this point it doesn't matter to me. The way I look at it, if short cuts were taken by the coach or school or both, then the coach or school or both will be the ones who know it wasn't fair every time they look at the trophy case. If there was no shortcuts taken, then the Coach and school can truly be proud of the accomplishments for many years to come and will know the titles were EARNED not BOUGHT. Let's quit this debate, especially when kids are being negatively impacted.

Again, you all may feel this is a stupid post, but I get really upset when kids are hurt by anything said on this site. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

• Upvote 1

To CPA posters:

There is a saying, “If you convince a man against his will, he is of the same opinion stillâ€. 

I think most of you know by now, that no facts, logic, or any kind of persuasion will change the minds of those convinced that CPA’s athletic program has an unfair advantage, whether it’s true or not.  They have concluded that because CPA is a private school, have better coaches, too many coaches, too highly paid coaches, unlevel playing field, recruits, have AAU teams funneling players, too many rich parents, location, too many wins, or you name it.  And therefore, I don’t like them.  It doesn’t matter if you play or abide by the established rules b/c the rule makers (TSSAA) are not fair, even though private schools do not have a representative on the board.  They must have good lobbyist. 

There is not much you can do to change whatever perception they have.  It’s like the kid that cries, “not fair†every time they lose or things don’t go their way.

As you know, this is not new, I remember back in 2000 when CPA was competing for it’s first state football championship; I was standing with my daughter in Hardee’s and heard a child ask her dad who he wanted to win.  He response was, “not CPA, we don’t like them, they recruitâ€.   Most people who have been on this board for a while,  knows that  95% of its players who played on that team started in kindergarten and a few in middle school.  I can only remember one player that had transferred in and he was from California because his dad was in the ministry. 

My suggestion would be to stick to the discussion of the sport itself and not response to the posts of: kbrks, ucsportsfan, bigchief, hedahe, thebrooklynbrawler, etc.   Yes, it will be tough to hold our tongues, but if we don’t bite at these untrue and attacking posts, then they won’t have anything to respond too.  Except, maybe each other. 

We don’t need to defend to keep defending CPA when we know it’s not going to make any difference in their perception or opinion.

• Upvote 2

Krbks,

I don't want to attack you and if I have in the past then I apologize.  Please forgive me.  I don't agree with any posters that make personal attacks on you or anyone else.  I know people get their feelings hurt and say things they don't mean at times and I am sure I have done that in the past.  I can only apologize for me.  And I am sorry if I hurt you in the past. 

On the other hand, I haven't seen any apologies from you for the grief and pain you have caused innocent kids and their families at CPA. 

We're probably never going to agree on many of these points we keep debating about CPA so we'll just have to agree to disagree on a lot of things.    We just see them differently.  I also realize some of the things you argue are wrongdoing on CPA's part are things that the TSSAA sees differently from you as well.  I have seen first hand communication from Bernard Childress to CPA in writing that clearly contradicts the opinions and statements you've made on here about certain players, the rules, their eligibility, CPA's role and responsibility in the matter, etc.. 

If CPA follows the rules as interpreted by the TSSAA and you disagree with the rules or the interpretation of the rules then we won't always agree that CPA has done something wrong if they took direction from the TSSAA to begin with and were doing what they felt was right in the situation and what the TSSAA said was right. 

In many posts you reference a higher moral authority and responsibility of CPA.  While I agree that CPA subscribes to a higher moral authority than the TSSAA, I can't say your interpretation of that authority and others at CPA is going to be the same.  And from reading your posts and your blog that is probably a very large source of your frustration with the admin at CPA.  You just see things differently from them philosophically on a variety of issues.     

I realize I'm likely not going to ever change your mind on just about anything related to CPA basketball so I may not debate with you as much going forward.  I do wish you and your family well though.  You're such a bright man with many talents. 

I would love to hear you are involved in basketball and coaching and about how your teams are doing, etc..  Let us know won here when and if you can. 

To CPA posters:

There is a saying, “If you convince a man against his will, he is of the same opinion stillâ€. 

I think most of you know by now, that no facts, logic, or any kind of persuasion will change the minds of those convinced that CPA’s athletic program has an unfair advantage, whether it’s true or not.  They have concluded that because CPA is a private school, have better coaches, too many coaches, too highly paid coaches, unlevel playing field, recruits, have AAU teams funneling players, too many rich parents, location, too many wins, or you name it.  And therefore, I don’t like them.  It doesn’t matter if you play or abide by the established rules b/c the rule makers (TSSAA) are not fair, even though private schools do not have a representative on the board.  They must have good lobbyist. 

There is not much you can do to change whatever perception they have.  It’s like the kid that cries, “not fair†every time they lose or things don’t go their way.

As you know, this is not new, I remember back in 2000 when CPA was competing for it’s first state football championship; I was standing with my daughter in Hardee’s and heard a child ask her dad who he wanted to win.  He response was, “not CPA, we don’t like them, they recruitâ€.   Most people who have been on this board for a while,  knows that  95% of its players who played on that team started in kindergarten and a few in middle school.  I can only remember one player that had transferred in and he was from California because his dad was in the ministry. 

My suggestion would be to stick to the discussion of the sport itself and not response to the posts of: kbrks, ucsportsfan, bigchief, hedahe, thebrooklynbrawler, etc.   Yes, it will be tough to hold our tongues, but if we don’t bite at these untrue and attacking posts, then they won’t have anything to respond too.  Except, maybe each other. 

We don’t need to defend to keep defending CPA when we know it’s not going to make any difference in their perception or opinion.

I will follow your lead. 

...And you can look it up. Everything I have talked about is the adults controlling the situation not the kids...

Exactly, though that truth escapes some.  I too have done the same.  My interactions have been with adults, regardless of how childish they are, yet they want to play the "kid card" to justify their insulting and vicious posts towards others.  I have actually complimented the kids at various times on their abilities.

I can appreciate Coach77 posts in the attempts to uphold the CPA philosophy, he simply omits the supporting examples and evidence to prove his points.  Outside of making reference to eligibility/paperwork issues, what are the examples that show my views are in contradicition with Bernard Childress and TSSAA?  Name the names of innocent kids and families I have hurt?  If not appropriate or uncomfortable (see what I mean) then set up a private meeting to discuss the issue.  Families and kids can do the same.  If not, that is their choice, but do not bring up issues in a public forum if there is an unwillingess to meet privately. 

If kids are hurt by my stating the current team's design is not in line with HS basketball and as a former high school/college coach not impressed by 40+ point wins, I do not apologize.  If any kid had been hurt by a lie I told, I would apologize and repent in a heartbeat, but that is simply not the case.  I have not told any, not one, zero, zilch, etc.  Appears the problem still remains, those CPAers who judge others based on perception, but don't like to be judged by perception let alone be confronted with truth.  Interesting, isn't it...

I agree with LookingAround to not responding (been saying that for years), but do not agree that he simply names those outside CPA as the problem posters.  Instead of LookingAround, why weren't the brethren encouraged to take the Scriptural approach and "Look in the Mirror?"  Over the years, some of the most vicious and insulting posts have been from those who support CPA.  Using the football team example from 2000 has no bearing on this topic, none whatsoever, yet acted though it proved the point. 

But hey, after all this time, I am willing to start a clean slate and keep it simply to sport.  We'll see... 

"But hey, after all this time, I am willing to start a clean slate and keep it simply to sport. We'll see... " -- Krbks

I am willing to take you at your word here and match what I think you are saying with my own actions. Will take much strength from both of us to only comment on the sport and actual game of basketball rather than off the court issue, rumors, etc..

We can't control what others post but we can keep our beliefs and convictions to ourselves on the outside issues and only comment on the sport. I do pray that is what you are saying/pledging.

"But hey, after all this time, I am willing to start a clean slate and keep it simply to sport. We'll see... " -- Krbks

I am willing to take you at your word here and match what I think you are saying with my own actions. Will take much strength from both of us to only comment on the sport and actual game of basketball rather than off the court issue, rumors, etc..

We can't control what others post but we can keep our beliefs and convictions to ourselves on the outside issues and only comment on the sport. I do pray that is what you are saying/pledging.

To be clear, my willingness is based on other's willingness.   Like I said, we'll see...

I am a Cascade Follower, with any luck I hope we get to play CPA two to three more times. This would mean we could make it deep into the Tournaments. On another note how do you guys see CPA matching up with Haywood?

I haven't seen CPA play, but I seen Haywood play Sat. Night at Humboldt. They have a starting 5 that is really good and they bring in 5 more that might be better. They have a great low-post game as well a great perimeter game. I have seen Humboldt play numerous times as Humboldt has already beat a cracker jack team from Little Rock that was 6A and won numerous State Championships and Humboldt didn't match up well with Haywood at all. They are a very good basketball team. I know CPA has a great history as well, but it will take a well coached and talented team to beat Haywood. Very talented and well coached.

I haven't seen CPA play, but I seen Haywood play Sat. Night at Humboldt. They have a starting 5 that is really good and they bring in 5 more that might be better. They have a great low-post game as well a great perimeter game. I have seen Humboldt play numerous times as Humboldt has already beat a cracker jack team from Little Rock that was 6A and won numerous State Championships and Humboldt didn't match up well with Haywood at all. They are a very good basketball team. I know CPA has a great history as well, but it will take a well coached and talented team to beat Haywood. Very talented and well coached.

CPA and Haywood have emerged as the favorites in AA. Doesn't mean they will meet in the finals but I do believe they are the 2 top teams. Who is better? Won't know until they play and then it will probably be whoever plays better that day.