Maryville's D against Blackman

MurvulDrummer

First off, congrats to Maryville on their 10th consecutive trip to the state championship. That's unbelievable!

My question is, what kind of D were the Rebels running (I think it's called Rhino)? It seemed like a defensive lineman would break through the line and get right on the QB, but he wouldn't tackle him when he had the chance. The QB would be scrambling around, and the lineman would just slowly chase him. It didn't seem like they wanted to sack him. Anybody know why?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, congrats to Maryville on their 10th consecutive trip to the state championship. That's unbelievable!

My question is, what kind of D were the Rebels running (I think it's called Rhino)? It seemed like a defensive lineman would break through the line and get right on the QB, but he wouldn't tackle him when he had the chance. The QB would be scrambling around, and the lineman would just slowly chase him. It didn't seem like they wanted to sack him. Anybody know why?

Rhino is actually an offensive set.  It is where the Rebels need just a yard or two and they bring in the big boys to get those yards.  We ran it today on the goal line to get our first touchdown.

Not sure what you would call the defense they were running late in the game, but the point of it was to keep the quarterback from extending plays with his feet.  Keep him in he pocket and don't allow him to make big plays running the ball.  Alabama did something similar to Michigan last year.  Maryville picked off their quarterback 3 times and I think they would rather him beat us with his arm than his legs.

Anyone know any 'specs' on him?  He seemed to have good size and decent speed.  Not sure he will be all that great as a college quarterback, but he is pretty shifty and would do well as a wide receiver if he can catch.  Never really saw him in on any plays as a safety, but Maryville never really challenged him that I remember. 

I watched him play earlier this year and I wasn't really impressed with his throwing ability but was atheletic as could be.

All I know is everyone was recruiting him as a safety but told the colleges he's really only interested in playing QB. He was suppose to of been really impressive throwing at camps and I know UT along with other major colleges has extended him an offer. I'm sure none of these colleges would have a problem telling him what he wants to hear even if they truly feel he is best suited at safety.