The Power Lies On The East side of the State

greengreen22

Then you would have no problem with discontinuing the practice of allowing OOZ students to play sports. Correct?

That is just too unfair to unilaterally declare that OOZ students could not play sports. Someone close to me decided to send his girls from a county school to a city school due to the better academic opportunities that were available there. This happened at grades 2 and 4 respectively so they were paying tuition for a long time. One of them developed into a decent basketball player but that sure wasn't apparent as a 7 year old. Do you really thing it would be fair to tell that kid she couldn't play ball with the kids she had went to school with for 10 years?

That is just too unfair to unilaterally declare that OOZ students could not play sports. Someone close to me decided to send his girls from a county school to a city school due to the better academic opportunities that were available there. This happened at grades 2 and 4 respectively so they were paying tuition for a long time. One of them developed into a decent basketball player but that sure wasn't apparent as a 7 year old. Do you really thing it would be fair to tell that kid she couldn't play ball with the kids she had went to school with for 10 years?

No, it wouldn't be fair for the student.  I was trying to address his point that if there's no advantage to the athletic programs of open zoned schools, then you won't miss those athletes if they are taken away.  We keep hearing "level the playing field" in HS athletics.  So, do you apply the 1.8 multiplier to open zoned schools to avoid penalizing the kid?

I think Alcoa is still dominant in that scenerio, however why would they prevent any student from participating in the sport of their choice???

It's just a hypothetical question.  I wouldn't advocate that.  In 2012, Aloca HS had an enrollement of 536 total students.  Of those 536 students, 193 or 36% were out of zone students.  That's a very high percentage.  How many of those 193 played on the football team?  Remember, it only takes one or two to make a big impact, especially in HS.

You can see how outsiders look at alcoa's dominance in football over the past several decades coupled with OOZ student numbers like that and wonder, can't you?

It's just a hypothetical question.  I wouldn't advocate that.  In 2012, Aloca HS had an enrollement of 536 total students.  Of those 536 students, 193 or 36% were out of zone students.  That's a very high percentage.  How many of those 193 played on the football team?  Remember, it only takes one or two to make a big impact, especially in HS.

You can see how outsiders look at alcoa's dominance in football over the past several decades coupled with OOZ student numbers like that and wonder, can't you?

Nope, because I am an alum, born and raised in Alcoa. I know many families and I know the families of the impact players through out the years. BTW, 36% of out of zone students does not equate to football players...how many of those students were female?