balance of power switching to 6aaa

90warrior

I don't know what happened to White county... fully expected them to beat Cleveland.... but Cookeville having Bates out was just too much to overcome.  I really think CHS was better than Bradley having their full lineup.  Congratulations Stone, hope you take it to WV.  Rep 6AAA!

cleveland has a very good team as stone found out. i think white co.was overlooking cleveland thinking about stone. but who knows. maybe next year. seems like we say that every year. good luck to stone rest of way.

So did the Stone player walk at the end? The radio guys (who were from Cleveland station) said that one ref called a walk & another ref came in and called the foul with 1.8 seconds left.

Radio guys said not close to a foul & the Cleveland coach said on the post game radio show that they were basically robbed.

In my viewpoint, the game was tied, so Cleveland wasn't robbed necessarily (because they still would have had to win in OT), but Stone may have been given a huge gift to get the free throws with 1.8 seconds left to break the tie if it truly was a phantom call. I wasn't there, so i don't know... Just asking what any unbiased fan thought.

Thanks

I think I'm pretty unbiased other than Stone being from Cumberland County.  I saw it too, and the player from Cleveland obviously tripped the Stone player.  The Cleveland coach was in the exact opposite corner from where the foul occurred, and the radio announcers were on the other side as well.

The call seemed obvious to me, and I never saw an official call a travel.  The Cleveland coach was way out of line laying prone on the floor after the call.

Edited by OnceAJet

I think I'm pretty unbiased other than Stone being from Cumberland County.  I saw it too, and the player from Cleveland obviously tripped the Stone player.  The Cleveland coach was in the exact opposite corner from where the foul occurred, and the radio announcers were on the other side as well.

The call seemed obvious to me, and I never saw an official call a travel.  The Cleveland coach was way out of line laying prone on the floor after the call.

You are correct. There was never a signal for a travel violation. The official that blew the whistle met with the one behind the play and got it right. That's what got everyone in an uproar. They obviously both saw the foul. Tough game because the refs were struggling I will admit.

Here is the article from the Chattanoogan.com. Their reporter said Stones player slipped & he says one ref did signal walking. Part of the article talks about Bradley v Walker Valley, but has Cleveland v Stone coverage as well. Sounds like Coach McCowan sort of lost it for a while. I'm not a CHS guy, but I know McCowan is a good man & he really loves his players. I imagine most coaches would have responded similarly after such a controversy. Not that it matters at this point, but would be interesting to see the film on whether player slipped or was fouled.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/2/25/270546/Walker-Valley-Thumps-Bradley-67-50.aspx

Edited by FootballFan51

. I imagine most coaches would have responded similarly after such a controversy. Not that it matters at this point, but would be interesting to see the film on whether player slipped or was fouled.

I doubt most coaches would have responded similarly, I think most coaches are adults and would react as such. That said, I would love to see his response after watching that video, as well as seeing his response after watching a video of his antics, and then hear what he has to say for himself afterwards.

Regardless, it was clear these refs were not working together during this game. That call was not handled properly, thus the confusion. But it was a trip or a bump which the other 2 officials were calling all night. This ref hasn't blown his whistle all night and decides to get in on the action and absolutely froze. The official he ran to ask for help obviously saw something and bailed him out and that is what happened. If I would have been Cleveland's coach I would have gotten tossed and it would have a 6 pt loss instead of 2. It was a hard fought game.

I doubt most coaches would have responded similarly, I think most coaches are adults and would react as such. That said, I would love to see his response after watching that video, as well as seeing his response after watching a video of his antics, and then hear what he has to say for himself afterwards.

Do you have a video you can post (of the play)?

Wonky calls were made all game (on both teams).  One ref whistled about 70% of the fouls, the same one blew the whistle at the end from near mid court (even though the ref under the basket was in better position to make the call).

Don't forget that there was also a questionable foul called away from the ball on Cleveland during Stone's previous possession (leading to free throws for the lead, before Cleveland's runner to tie it back).

With 1.8 seconds left in a tied game 1) whistle goes in the pocket 2) any foul called needs to obvious 3) any conferencing of a "foul" should be not be quick, if there is any doubt it should be a jump ball. None of my "rules" were followed. 

It was a shame such a great game was ended in that manner, particular to end the season.  Overtime would have been fantastic to watch, as was the rest of the game. 

Good luck to Stone and Walker Valley. 

Wonky calls were made all game (on both teams).  One ref whistled about 70% of the fouls, the same one blew the whistle at the end from near mid court (even though the ref under the basket was in better position to make the call).

Don't forget that there was also a questionable foul called away from the ball on Cleveland during Stone's previous possession (leading to free throws for the lead, before Cleveland's runner to tie it back).

With 1.8 seconds left in a tied game 1) whistle goes in the pocket 2) any foul called needs to obvious 3) any conferencing of a "foul" should be not be quick, if there is any doubt it should be a jump ball. None of my "rules" were followed. 

It was a shame such a great game was ended in that manner, particular to end the season.  Overtime would have been fantastic to watch, as was the rest of the game. 

Good luck to Stone and Walker Valley. 

How many hand checking calls were called on SMHS? How many were called on Cleveland?

BTW how many times did Simmons "trip" during the game?  Real simple answer to that question.

How many hand checking calls were called on SMHS?

Several

How many were called on Cleveland?
none that I recall.  Athens Association would have called twice as many and the Chattanooga Association would have called one or two.  There was a time or two where I thought Cleveland was checking, however they tend to be quick about it rather have an "arm bar" like 5 used while dribbling down the court. 

BTW how many times did Simmons "trip" during the game?  Real simple answer to that question.  
 Stepping on someone else's foot or even colliding feet does not necessity a tripping call. It requires an action on the defenders part to actively move their foot/leg in way to impede the offensive players progress.  From my vantage point, it appeared 25 (when doing an almost out of control whirlwind with the ball) right foot slipped and then he stepped with his left foot on a defenders planted foot and continued to the ground (while maintain his dribble).  

Got a question back to you.  How many tripping calls did you see all year?  I am guess I only saw that call once every 8 or 9 games and usually it was when someone was hooked with a knee or hip.  

EDIT to add: several other calls were inconsistent through the game for both teams too. 

Edited by smallie