Class A polls?

SportsfanTN2010

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The polls mean nothing.  Jackson County has won 7 state championships and 3 Runner Up trophies over the last 13 years and i don't think they have ever been ranked #1 in the polls and they won't be ranked #1 this year either.  UC was ranked #1 all of last year and they got beat by 30 in the championship game against Jackson Co. so i wouldn't put alot of stock in them.  

The polls mean nothing.  Jackson County has won 7 state championships and 3 Runner Up trophies over the last 13 years and i don't think they have ever been ranked #1 in the polls and they won't be ranked #1 this year either.  UC was ranked #1 all of last year and they got beat by 30 in the championship game against Jackson Co. so i wouldn't put alot of stock in them.  

Can't believe JC has never been #1 in the poll but I can tell you one reason why they may not get as many votes as they should. Those of us who vote in the poll swap e-mails with information about the teams in our area and where they deserve to be ranked. Your area sportswriters need to promote the teams from the Upper Cumberland more. Yes, polls mean nothing except to create conversation and JC does their talking on the floor, but it's a shame when those of us in West Tennessee have to submit names for consideration from other parts of the state.

Can't believe JC has never been #1 in the poll but I can tell you one reason why they may not get as many votes as they should. Those of us who vote in the poll swap e-mails with information about the teams in our area and where they deserve to be ranked. Your area sportswriters need to promote the teams from the Upper Cumberland more. Yes, polls mean nothing except to create conversation and JC does their talking on the floor, but it's a shame when those of us in West Tennessee have to submit names for consideration from other parts of the state.

I think JC has been #1 in the poll before, but it hasn't happened much.  They just play too tough a schedule most years, like I have said in another post before, out of the 7 times that JC has won state since 2000,  3 or 4 of those 7 years JC wasnt even picked to win their own district.

Edited by bob77

The polls mean nothing. Jackson County has won 7 state championships and 3 Runner Up trophies over the last 13 years and i don't think they have ever been ranked #1 in the polls and they won't be ranked #1 this year either. UC was ranked #1 all of last year and they got beat by 30 in the championship game against Jackson Co. so i wouldn't put alot of stock in them.

man you need to check your math but UC only lost by 13 (48-35).

man you need to check your math but UC only lost by 13 (48-35).

Uhh that might have been the final score but UC was down by 30 in the second half and it wasn't that close fyi.  I was there i witnessed the dismantling in person. However that was last year, ancient history.  I think the local press does a good job promoting JC and all the Upper Cumberland teams in general.  However as Bob77 stated we play a schedule that is very tough and one that would be hard to go undefeated with.  The voters like to see those 20-0 records about mid way through the season and 31-1 at the end of the season thats what impresses them, not the fact that you play an extremely tough schedule which in turn gets you ready for the tournament.  Most of them don't get that but in the end it doesn't matter in this sport as its all settled on the floor.  The tournament will be very competitive this year i believe.  UC and GC are both very good this year and Clarkrange is loaded from all i've heard but i haven't seen them on the floor as of yet.  Will have a better answer for you on Jan 7th after we play them.  Jackson Co. is learning how to cope without their star point guard and so far so good.  They all can score in bunches and they play very good defense so if all goes well they could be there at the end again, only time will tell.   :popcorneater:

Edited by devilfanatic

Honestly, I wouldn't leave out Greenfield here in the west. I saw them a few weeks ago and they are pretty solid across the board. All 5 of their starters could shoot the 3 and no player stands out from the other. All 5 are solid players and capable of being a team that represents out of the west.

People were mentioning Middleton earlier in the year, but then they lost to JCS last week. I saw JCS in jamboree earlier this year and a top team shouldn't be losing to JCS. Middleton is still going to be a dangerous team, no doubt, but was quite surprised with a loss to JCS.