Region 1 finals predictions

newcoach215

First- I agree as a whole the current crop of athletes have less work eithic than previous generations and more distractions. I wouldn't use a sweeping generalization and say every kid in region one is working hard everyday. Every kid in every other region isn't working hard either. But I don't think you imply that they are. They are working smarter and they are more organized. I get it.

But there are those that are working hard in this region and they will make thier bones and lead by example. This is not supposition it is fact. I witness it personally. It's our job to pass the work eithic on to them. agreed?

Second- Dumb comments are water across a ducks back and shoudnt result in additional dumb comments that marginalizes this region (no matter how inflamatory)

The kids deserve respect because a) they are kids B) because they are participating in the greatest sport on the planet and without thier particpation this sport would die c) this is region is appalachia; "some" are literally doing it with NO support, No money and No understanding from parents and peers as to "why" . This is not Gwinnett county Georgia (ARCHER) or Alabaster, Alabama (THOMPSON). Doesn't mean they can't succeed just some have more obstacles than others.

Third- I agree 100%... production, results and success are the currency by which respect is EARNED. If not everyone would have it.

We are the underdogs and frankly that's how I like for others to view us. It provides the element of surpise. It keeps you hungry for success. And makes the victories that much more sweet.

I do agree and that's what you are suppose to do if you are involved with a program. Been there and done that myself.

I get that not everyone works hard, but if someone doesn't work hard, it makes the entire team worse. Been there and experience that myself as well. I'm not saying they are all college wrestlers, but I've been in a few rooms in a high school and college and there are only two things that really separate them, work ethic and never giving up. They don't give up a takedown, they fight until they are taken down no matter what.

I have also been around when money doesn't get tossed wrestlings way with football, basketball, band, whatever. You have to start somewhere and make it work, not put blame on money.

The underdog thing in my mind is a double edge sword. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not saying the kids aren't working hard, I'm saying that we aren't doing all we can so we can't say that we are.

Sound ok?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree and that's what you are suppose to do if you are involved with a program. Been there and done that myself.

I get that not everyone works hard, but if someone doesn't work hard, it makes the entire team worse. Been there and experience that myself as well. I'm not saying they are all college wrestlers, but I've been in a few rooms in a high school and college and there are only two things that really separate them, work ethic and never giving up. They don't give up a takedown, they fight until they are taken down no matter what.

I have also been around when money doesn't get tossed wrestlings way with football, basketball, band, whatever. You have to start somewhere and make it work, not put blame on money.

The underdog thing in my mind is a double edge sword. I'll leave it at that.

I'm not saying the kids aren't working hard, I'm saying that we aren't doing all we can so we can't say that we are.

Sound ok?

100% eye to eye. Agree completely.

Ok so lets talk about yesterdays outcome...   Surprise - Hudgins getting caught by surprise early,  the kid who beat him had a good tourney tho and gave Hurley a serious run in the finals.  126 place 1-3 has quality!

A little surprised Nyguen at 182 - solid hard worker deserving of the win.

Not to surprised - Spangler at 170 hard worker but just got soundly thrashed by English in semis.  Deans pin of English was at best a roll through very quick pin but he had the take down so good job.

Business as usual Begley and Broyles - a sad mess at the end of that match...

No surprise Vaughn, Bagley 145, Bagley 195, and Frye.

Ok so lets talk about yesterdays outcome... Surprise - Hudgins getting caught by surprise early, the kid who beat him had a good tourney tho and gave Hurley a serious run in the finals. 126 place 1-3 has quality!

A little surprised Nyguen at 182 - solid hard worker deserving of the win.

Not to surprised - Spangler at 170 hard worker but just got soundly thrashed by English in semis. Deans pin of English was at best a roll through very quick pin but he had the take down so good job.

Business as usual Begley and Broyles - a sad mess at the end of that match...

No surprise Vaughn, Bagley 145, Bagley 195, and Frye.

Not disagreeing with anything you've said quoting for context- It was a bad call in the 170's bracket- a solid take down agreed. The "pin" was a roll through- roll across what ever but it was not a legit pin- would have loved to see the match go the distance but other oppotunities for this match-up are possible since both are going to state.

English v Spangler- was a lopsided match. Seemed Spangler ran out of gas in second and third. Don't know anything about his conditioning it program but anecdotally have seen kids that cut too much weight get into trouble with rapid weight loss. Could have been a factor.

Begley v Broyles- not a thing wrong with being competitive and taking it to your opponent. But this matchup has transitioned from being competitive to being something ugly. Two sides to every story. We all know what we saw... the other side is not widely known. Throwing rocks and then hiding your hands does not make you an innocent Victem.

Blackknight I agree on the 170 lbs pin  and I agree the other situation takes two to tango I hope there coaches seriously use moments like that to do some teaching for the participants and other team mates, because this sport is about learning the right way and taking lessons for use in later life.  It sure isn't for big money scholarships or future pro dollars... lol  Kids, testosterone, and age all play in as a factor too.  But still good moment to teach from...

Not disagreeing with anything you've said quoting for context- It was a bad call in the 170's bracket- a solid take down agreed. The "pin" was a roll through- roll across what ever but it was not a legit pin- would have loved to see the match go the distance but other oppotunities for this match-up are possible since both are going to state.

English v Spangler- was a lopsided match. Seemed Spangler ran out of gas in second and third. Don't know anything about his conditioning it program but anecdotally have seen kids that cut too much weight get into trouble with rapid weight loss. Could have been a factor.

Begley v Broyles- not a thing wrong with being competitive and taking it to your opponent. But this matchup has transitioned from being competitive to being something ugly. Two sides to every story. We all know what we saw... the other side is not widely known. Throwing rocks and then hiding your hands does not make you an innocent Victem.

If you know Griffin then you know that he is a happy go lucky kid. Every time ive talked to him hes been very respectful and helps a great deal with the youth wrestlers in his community. Black knight said it right 2 sides to every story. I've heard the other side and let's just say Broyles wasnt the only one fueling the fire in this match.

Blackknight I agree on the 170 lbs pin and I agree the other situation takes two to tango I hope there coaches seriously use moments like that to do some teaching for the participants and other team mates, because this sport is about learning the right way and taking lessons for use in later life. It sure isn't for big money scholarships or future pro dollars... lol Kids, testosterone, and age all play in as a factor too. But still good moment to teach from...

Could not have said it better. I hope they counseled both. It was a huge moment for "learning". Two of the regions best wrestlers instead of being remembered/defined by/for there hard work and accomplishments- tarnished by the side show. But they are KIDS. Without passion life is mundane. Can't deny their passion.

I saw several coaches that understand "learning opportunities". One kid three head gear And before he could take three steps his coach had him by the singlet going for a chat. We have all been there and I personally understand as I am sure anyone who has competed and lost understands. That's one of the many lessons of wrestling. That lesson can't be learned if you didn't really really really want to win bad...

No this sport does not produce high dollar contracts or fame- but it teaches like no other sport.

I had heard that Spangler had been under the weather earlier in the week, did look sluggish but came back to finish strong. If Dean's was a pin on English I don't know what this was:

67873_272755679545902_317380254_n.jpg

I had heard that Spangler had been under the weather earlier in the week, did look sluggish but came back to finish strong. If Dean's was a pin on English I don't know what this was:

67873_272755679545902_317380254_n.jpg

Illness could have been the issue- sluggish is the right word.

Don't understand what the comment reference the photo means- the picture is a solid no doubt in anyone's mind PIN. But that's not Deans pin.

Illness could have been the issue- sluggish is the right word.

Don't understand what the comment reference the photo means- the picture is a solid no doubt in anyone's mind PIN. But that's not Deans pin.

This was a photo of the Spangler/English match that was on the Tennessee High Wrestling Facebook page. Just referring to the fact that the Dean pin was so quick and yet this one wasn't even called.

It looks like a pin. But atleast the ref was consistent. English had Spangler in what appeared to be no doubt pin positions atleast three times but none were called.

I'm disappointed the dean match didn't go longer. Would have been interesting to see it go the distance. It was like a Tyson fight I remember- after weeks of buildup- it was over before the popcorn was popped;)... I was ready to see a battle royal and got 30 seconds of fury instead...

A pin is a pin is a pin;)

Edited by BlackknightGATA