Ooltewah Owls 2014

GOOSESDAD

Soddy Daisy got a bunch of players? Walker Valley? Bradley? Those powerhouses must put the #hootersgirls to the test. Remember that great 5A state title game you watched? West is in the district with Maryville. Alcoa, Webb and Sevier County were also on the schedule. Those 4 teams alone would have mercy ruled your district. You play cupcakes that have never won anything almost weekly.

Not a bad post and for the most part you are correct....... But let's not get carried away with mercy ruling the whole district, win the district yea I could see that, but mercy ruling?

West is a pretty darn good team no argument there. But lets not for get that West beat Cleveland at home during the regular season 35-25, not exactly a mercy rule. Yes, West put a hurt on them in the playoffs…… Sevier Co worked very hard to beat Dobyns Bennett 34-30 a team that East Ham handled pretty good 33-21, I do think one of the TD’s was pretty much a gift late. East Ham played well in a controlled scrimmage vs. Maryville, yea I know it was a scrimmage and it was controlled….. No I would not bet my pay check nor my lunch money on a real game vs. them.  I Also think that Maryville beat Bradley 42-21, the week before East Ham killed I mean killed Bradley 41-13, and the last Bradley score was with 4 seconds on the clock with all back ups, they could not get past the 50 yard line on us, also mention we played the game with a back up RB and our 1st team wide out sat up nursing a bad hip. Alcoa scored what 2 points vs. Maryville, know this the 4 series of 1st team vs. 1st team at the scrimmage vs. Maryville East Ham score twice on long ball controlled drives, not to sure I would sweat my lunch off vs Alcoa. Now more on  Alcoa, now this interest me greatly this up coming season the Sr class at Alcoa got run off the field vs. East Ham in a freshman game the Milita kid ran for at least 190 on them and our O line 4 that will start this year opened holes the size of a traffic light intersection. The real good RB  up there at Alcoa the stud, did not let's say have his best running game, he was held in check. Yea I know it was 2 years ago, and the next year Alcoa freshman beat East Ham pretty good all I am saying I not sure Alcoa could mercy rule Cleveland, Ooltewah, East Ham. Win yea maybe. So your point that the football is better up there yea, I will go along with that, but mercy rule are district, I argue that with ya.

Edited by chattacane

Maybe... But William Blount doesn't have crazy levels of talent.. As I have been saying for a long time... William Blount has the talent to be atleast 5-5 or 6-4 "Most" years and have an occasional team that is good enough to be legitimate state contenders. We haven't won more then 4 games since 07.. That is unacceptable... In '11 we had the talent to make a deep playoff run imo and we still finished below .500

I've read a Bear Bryant statement before. It kinda went something like this. "As a coach I'm only as good as the players I have playing for me" In other words no coach is going to be great with average players, but good and great players can sure make a coach look even better then he is in a lot of cases. Stanton had great players playing for him in 2005 for OR and still couldn't get the job done. Blade had average players playing for him in 2010 and almost took us to state if not for Maryville whom beat us 38-21 that year. As far as talent wise that team in 2010 shouldn't have even came remotely close to make the state finals. It didn't have a lot of athletic talent on it.

Edited by SweetScience

I've read a Bear Bryant statement before. It kinda went something like this. "As a coach I'm only as good as the players I have playing for me" In other words no coach is going to be great with average players, but good and great players can sure make a coach look even better then he is in a lot of cases. Stanton had great players playing for him in 2005 for OR and still couldn't get the job done. Blade had average players playing for him in 2010 and almost took us to state if not for Maryville whom beat us 38-21 that year. As far as talent wise that team in 2010 shouldn't have even came remotely close to make the state finals. It didn't have a lot of athletic talent on it.

So are you trying to say that WB doesn't have talent? Lol Because we have talent every year. We always have good size , some speed, and a few really talented skill players.. And I really believe that if we had the right coach we would be competing for a playoff spot in the district most years. Also you have to consider the players that decide to go elsewhere because of the trainwreck we have here.. Peyton Wall ring a bell? He was a star quarterback for Ikillya.. He was supposed to be a william blount kid, his older brother played for meadows.But from what I heard Gregory ran him off ... Dont ya think William Blount would have been better with a guy like him taking snaps? Edited by Governors91

But I do agree with your point that great players make an average coach look better. And I believe Gary Rankin is a good example of this. I know i'm going to take flak for saying that but its the truth. Theres no way he would win running that dumbed down offense if he didnt have all the studs he has every year.

Fellers, fellers....let me ennerjeck sumthangs hear......

On Mairvul and Bradlee Couwntee laist yeer....Bradlee caim inn wif a good gaim plan and played good....Mairvul adjusted ("tham cats cain adjust"---Large John 2004) and pulled away tha seccund haif.....

On Bear Bryant and player deevellopmint......SS lots ov times baick inn tha 60's and 70's Bama haid smaller players thain thair opponints.....Butt thay were inn superior condishun, played 60 minetts, wood trick yee  and wood run threw a wall fer tha man inn tha howndstoof hat....A lott ov tha times then thay overacheeved....

PA reeminds me ov "Stump on Sports"......We caim down two Red Baink inn 2006 and we wuz lissnun two his raydeo show thait day when'st we stopped att Stiky Fangers two taink upp....Stump sed he didun't eggspeck Red Baink two haiv enny trubble wif Mairvul.....Mairvul haid jist beet Brainurd 26-21 a cupple weaks beefour and Red Baink had beet Brainurd 77-8......Stump sed tha Lieuns wood beet tha Rebs bad....Thait Mairvul's runn wuz ovur thait nite....Ta Ta Cardwell wuz bettur thain ennybodee Mairvul haid......etc......Red Baink jumped out 14-3 and Stump wuz lookin' like a proffitt.....Onleest problum wuz Mairvul outscorred Red Baink 35-zip tha rest ov tha way.....Finull 38-14 Rebs.......and tha beet goes on...... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

On Mairvul and Bradlee Couwntee laist yeer....Bradlee caim inn wif a good gaim plan and played good....Mairvul adjusted ("tham cats cain adjust"---Large John 2004) and pulled away tha seccund haif.....

On Bear Bryant and player deevellopmint......SS lots ov times baick inn tha 60's and 70's Bama haid smaller players thain thair opponints lotts ov times.....Butt thay were inn superior condishun, played 60 minetts, wood trick yee  and wood run threw a wall fer tha man inn tha howndstoof hat....A lott ov tha times then thay overacheeved....

PA reeminds me ov "Stump on Sports"......We caim down two Red Baink inn 2006 and we wuz lissnun two his raydeo show thait day when'st we stopped att Stiky Fangers two taink upp....Stump sed he didun't eggspeck Red Baink two haiv enny trubble wif Mairvul.....Mairvul haid jist beet Brainurd 26-21 a cupple weaks beefour and Red Baink had beet Brainurd 77-8......Stump sed tha Lieuns wood beet tha Rebs bad....Thait Mairvul's runn wuz ovur thait nite....Ta Ta Cardwell wuz bettur thain ennybodee Mairvul haid......etc......Red Baink jumped out 14-3 and Stump wuz lookin' like a proffitt.....Onleest problum wuz Mairvul outscorred Red Baink 35-zip tha rest ov tha way.....Finull 38-14 Rebs.......and tha beet goes on...... :popcorneater:

I remember that very well. I also didn't get a seat so I had to stand against the fence. A lot of people from Chattanooga around me was really crowing after that 14-3 lead by Red Bank. They sure got quiet after the 35 points in a row by Maryville.

So are you trying to say that WB doesn't have talent? Lol Because we have talent every year. We always have good size , some speed, and a few really talented skill players.. And I really believe that if we had the right coach we would be competing for a playoff spot in the district most years. Also you have to consider the players that decide to go elsewhere because of the trainwreck we have here.. Peyton Wall ring a bell? He was a star quarterback for Ikillya.. He was supposed to be a william blount kid, his older brother played for meadows.But from what I heard Gregory ran him off ... Dont ya think William Blount would have been better with a guy like him taking snaps?

No. I never meant to say WB doesn't have good players ever and I am aware of the Wall kid being from WB and he is good. I was just referencing to Stanton being a good coach. To me in 2005 we were real good because of the talent we had not because Stanton was some great or even good coach. Give him the talent Blade had in 2010 and OR probably goes 4-6 that year. Blade was that much better of a coach then he was. Earlier you were saying a bad coach could never take a team to the state like Stanton did in 2005. Well, all I am saying is that it's possible because Stanton because of our talent mind you took us there that year. Without that talent he would've never seen a state title game while coaching at OR and normally that is the case for any coach. As I said earlier.  a coach is only as good as the players he has playing for him. Blade was a great coach and had great results from sub-par talented teams while at OR because he taught discipline (something Stanton didn't) and his teams didn't make bad mistakes and they all played as a team (similar to Maryville teams.) The downfall of Blade for OR is that kids didn't like playing for him, which was apparent because when he left and Gaddis stepped in a number of kids who didn't go out for the team while Blade was coach did last year. Other then that he was a great x's and O's coach and one of the few to beat Quarles. And I kinda agree about Rankin. He had incredible talent at Riverdale in the past and does now in Alcoa. He has definitely benefitted from having great teams, no doubt about it.

On Bear Bryant and player deevellopmint......SS lots ov times baick inn tha 60's and 70's Bama haid smaller players thain thair opponints lotts ov times.....Butt thay were inn superior condishun, played 60 minetts, wood trick yee and wood run threw a wall fer tha man inn tha howndstoof hat....A lott ov tha times then thay overacheeved....

I remember more of the Sticky fingers and pepvol and tater tot fight the whole way home.

So are you trying to say that WB doesn't have talent? Lol Because we have talent every year. We always have good size , some speed, and a few really talented skill players.. And I really believe that if we had the right coach we would be competing for a playoff spot in the district most years. Also you have to consider the players that decide to go elsewhere because of the trainwreck we have here.. Peyton Wall ring a bell? He was a star quarterback for Ikillya.. He was supposed to be a william blount kid, his older brother played for meadows.But from what I heard Gregory ran him off ... Dont ya think William Blount would have been better with a guy like him taking snaps?

The older Wall was a very good QB. He had a heck of a coach though.