Mt. Juliet Christian Academy

WARBOSS

This isn't the real 'test'.  That will come on October 10th against Pickett County.  Who gets the first win ... Coach Davis or the first female High School football head coach in Tennessee history?  My money is on Coach Garner.

I agree 100% Mr. Pine, though it's a stretch to call Ms. Garner a "Coach" when members of her own coaching staff refer to her as "more of an administrator"   but this loss will only add to the depths to which the MJCA football program has stooped under PC's tenure

I agree 100% Mr. Pine, though it's a stretch to call Ms. Garner a "Coach" when members of her own coaching staff refer to her as "more of an administrator"   but this loss will only add to the depths to which the MJCA football program has stooped under PC's tenure

Whatever her role is, the title is head coach, and she will get credit for any wins. Maybe the other coaches refer to her as "more of an administrator" for reasons. One being, she was more qualified to run the team than they are. I do hope she has their backing.

Huntland has been scoring a bunch of points so far. Could be a real test for the Saints this week.

I truly believe improvement in 2014 is the key to their future. This coach should be alright if he tweaks and corrects his team’s deficiencies. He absolutely seems light years ahead of PC’s previous head coach hire J. Roberts. Why did last year’s team 2013 practice in shells and shorts throughout the season? Why was that permitted for any number of reasons? Why? When talking about fewer numbers or fewer skill players or what have you, it seems to me that it's crucial that importance is placed on player development and sound football and sound football practices. If you always do what you have always done, you'll always have what you always had. We wish you well MJCA!

Would like to hear from the faithful their opinions of the Saint's performances over the next 5-6 games regarding improvement?

MJCA would be better off not fielding football at their school until the powers that be decide they want to invest what is necessary to try and become relevant in that particular sport. It would be unfortunate for the kids that want to play football, but it at least gives their school the identity with which it reflects currently. There's nothing wrong with calling a spade, a spade, but please don't try and be something you aren't!

Edited by Sackmaster50

I truly believe improvement in 2014 is the key to their future. This coach should be alright if he tweaks and corrects his team’s deficiencies. He absolutely seems light years ahead of PC’s previous head coach hire J. Roberts. Why did last year’s team 2013 practice in shells and shorts throughout the season? Why was that permitted for any number of reasons? Why? When talking about fewer numbers or fewer skill players or what have you, it seems to me that it's crucial that importance is placed on player development and sound football and sound football practices. If you always do what you have always done, you'll always have what you always had. We wish you well MJCA!

Would like to hear from the faithful their opinions of the Saint's performances over the next 5-6 games regarding improvement?

Are you implying 1 that you cannot practice in shells and shorts and learn fundamentals to maximize player development and 2 that some one should tell the coach how to run his practice?  If numbers are a concern to make sure you have enough to play of Friday nights then shells and shorts is a good idea.  Maybe you should apply the next time MJCA comes open. You think you are be smarter than JR and PC.  

Coach Davis can tweak all he wants until he gets players and a truly supportive administration beyond lip service they will continue to struggle.

Are you implying 1 that you cannot practice in shells and shorts and learn fundamentals to maximize player development and 2 that some one should tell the coach how to run his practice?  If numbers are a concern to make sure you have enough to play of Friday nights then shells and shorts is a good idea.  Maybe you should apply the next time MJCA comes open. You think you are be smarter than JR and PC.  

Coach Davis can tweak all he wants until he gets players and a truly supportive administration beyond lip service they will continue to struggle.

NonUTFan, shells and shorts is a good idea for walk through, polish and times when the state say’s no contact allowed. IMO, the practice philosophy of full-time shells create low numbers and not protect low numbers. Hoping that makes sense to you. The supervising athletic directors or other coaches should have strongly suggested full padded practices. As the commercial goes, everything else is uncivilized.

As an outsider, we haven’t any say in the going on’s within interscholastic athletics. However forums provide a platform to voice one’s opinions. As an insider or a fan you should give Coach Davis time to tweak and correct his team’s deficiencies. Sources have been positive about this coach and his background. Proof will be in the pudding. Good coaches will agree that certain standards must be met and should be judged by the body of their work. If this coach is well connected he will probably be bringing in other ambitious quality coaches over time to help MJCA to a successful competitive level of play. This goal should be followed-up with MJCA building a traditionally rich football program. The school is in a prime location with an excellent venue. You build it and they will come!

Last week’s game we attended was a bit painful for the Saints. Were their blocking and tackling less than desirable? Yes. Could they get off of blocks and pursue well? Sometimes. Did they display good clock management? No. Was the game penalty riddled? Yes. Can this coach turn them around? Absolutely YES. Will he? Hopefully so!

It is quite difficult to overcome habitual bad habits. How might these kids have developed bad habits? Could it be, by practicing TWO HAND TAP football instead of TACKLE football? Perhaps with JR’s 2013 team practicing in helmets and shorts or helmets, shoulder pads and shorts Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays throughout last season? With full pads only on game day? IMO, too bad success evaded the 2013 team which had some very good players and some very tough players that also includes some of this year’s team, on that squad. Knowing anything about the game of football should enable you to easily list multiple adjectives to describe why that would be a very poor practice philosophy. Any and all responsible for condoning any risky practices, especially with kids should be in a different profession! Maybe this is a piece of what this new coach has to overcome? He seems to be practicing with full pads and certainly deserves the benefit of any doubt because he’s fighting from behind the eight ball trying to undue the previous coaching in 2013? Last year and the last thirteen years of this football program seems to simply get swept under the rug and business as usual? It really doesn’t matter? But it does matter. Fact of the matter goes back to, if you do what you have always done you will always have what you always had. What about the kids? They deserve much better. When you hear parents saying, “I just want my son, (our son), to survive the season†or “we should have transferred our son two years ago when we were thinking about it,†gets irritating when the experience should be rewarding and fun. Thus in this school, it seems no one stands up to be counted or no one stands up and says it is my bad, my fault! Again, giving this new coach time for improvements for this current team is a reasonable expectation. As long as he makes headway, they may be on the right track. He may be the leader needed to guide this ship. As said before, they have 5-6 games left.Time will tell.

Whatever her role is, the title is head coach, and she will get credit for any wins. Maybe the other coaches refer to her as "more of an administrator" for reasons. One being, she was more qualified to run the team than they are. I do hope she has their backing.

Congratulations to Coach Garner with her first win in high school football.  Coach Davis is still searching for that elusive first 'W'.  Won't come this week against FCS so it'll be interesting in the showdown against Pickett County on October 10th if MJCA gets the first 'W' of the season.

MJCA would be better off not fielding football at their school until the powers that be decide they want to invest what is necessary to try and become relevant in that particular sport. It would be unfortunate for the kids that want to play football, but it at least gives their school the identity with which it reflects currently. There's nothing wrong with calling a spade, a spade, but please don't try and be something you aren't!

Until MJCA can get enough players that can play with some depth it will be what it is. Coaches,facilities, and AD can only do so much. A recruiter for the school is the most important position needed.

Congratulations to Coach Garner with her first win in high school football.  Coach Davis is still searching for that elusive first 'W'.  Won't come this week against FCS so it'll be interesting in the showdown against Pickett County on October 10th if MJCA gets the first 'W' of the season.

I'm taking Pickett over MJCA when they play, just the way it it.

I'm taking Pickett over MJCA when they play, just the way it it.

Coach Garner put up 41 in her first win.  MJCA has only put up 46 pts in 5 games.  Pretty safe bet going with Pickett County on this one.  You would think even in the blowouts, the 'coveted' 8-0 freshman squad would have put up some points when they came in during the 4th quarter. 

Future might not be as bright as some think for this squad.  Only time will tell.  I'll agree with 'inthagap' though ... gotta respect the kids that keep going on the field week after week.