How Did Goodpasture Drop to Single A?

bobcatfan300

This poses a question and that is what IS the private christian schools' message? If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you are saying the private schools you are referring to have the mentality of win a gold object at all cost not spread the word of God which is very disturbing if you ask me.

Weak..... :popcorneater:

Private schools should be made to play at the highest classification level if they are in Div I. This would solve all the issues as the playing field would be a lot closer to level. If that were to happen you would see a mass exodus by the privates from Div I because they wouldn't win as much and we all know that is paramount to some programs. There is no quick fix and teams like GP and CPA are playing by the rules that TSSAA wrote so until a split happens everyone will just have to deal with it and get better. I don't believe TSSAA should allow a private school to flip flop every 4 years like some do though.

Knoxville Catholic at one point was the only private school in AAA.  It was fine for basketball, brutal in football.

You are confusing two different things. Goodpasture by enrollment is a single A school in football. With the multiplier added it bumps them to 3A. The rule in place is that the multiplier cannot move a team two classes which from A to 3A is two classes. The fact that they would still have an enrollment big enough for 2A in every other sport DOES NOT MATTER. As I stated earlier, football classification rules EVERYTHING.  They get to play in single A in every other sport simply because of a rule designed for football. This is a TSSAA rule. For it to change, the Board of Control must change it.

Kev35, Goodpasture has won the state in volleyball the last two years in two different classes. I think that qualifies as "successful" also. Football up to the last two years has been very successful. Basketball is where they have stumbled up till the last two-three years.

There are no players on Goodpasture's team from Clarksville. Don't know where that came from.

I'm not denying that they haven't been successful. Just staying what I understand of why they chose to go down in classification.

This poses a question and that is what IS the private christian schools' message? If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you are saying the private schools you are referring to have the mentality of win a gold object at all cost not spread the word of God which is very disturbing if you ask me. I don't believe that is the case with all programs but there are a select few that fall close to that category.

I think he was referring to an old phrase my mom use to say... keeping up with the Jones's sort of thing. I think what the poster is saying that In order to be competitive private schools will recruit from the public schools and it may cause the talent level to drop or decline at DI schools city or county.  He maybe right but in Knoxville area certain schools because of tradition will remain strong (Fulton. Bearden, Farragut etc)

"Public school talent will be recruited like never before and public team quality will drop off to a new low."

... tell that to Trousdale Co, Alcoa or Maryville in football or any of the public schools who are great in basketball that there is no quality in public schools, even with the privates recruiting. Yes some schools can compete on this very unfair playing field, but it is not the norm. Someone mentioned a player from Mt. Juliet came from a private school. That isn't the point. The point is that privates can recruit from anywhere in or out of the state like Temple  and public schools can't. The playing ground is not fair under the current system. The privates have won half the state A titles in basketball since 1998

"Public school talent will be recruited like never before and public team quality will drop off to a new low."

... tell that to Trousdale Co, Alcoa or Maryville in football or any of the public schools who are great in basketball that there is no quality in public schools, even with the privates recruiting. Yes some schools can compete on this very unfair playing field, but it is not the norm. Someone mentioned a player from Mt. Juliet came from a private school. That isn't the point. The point is that privates can recruit from anywhere in or out of the state like Temple  and public schools can't. The playing ground is not fair under the current system. The privates have won half the state A titles in basketball since 1998

Good point considering the number of private schools vs the number of public schools in Class A.  If the private schools were made to play in AAA and 6A in football you wouldn't see one private school in Div I.  I don't blame the private schools, heck if we could form an AAU team from all over the state and in some cases other states, i'm sure we would try to do the same thing so i don't find fault with the private schools just the system in which TSSAA makes the publics play under.  Its not a level playing field not even close.  

Look, I'm not advocating public or private here, but the poster who said it will be the jones keeping up with the jones mentality is exactly what I was trying to say. Currently only D2 schools are allowed to give aid to sports and before you bite my head off, I am aware that it goes on in some cases in D1. However my point is that when you move all privates to D2, you mean to tell me that Lipscomb, CPA, Goodpasture to name a few won't go full speed ahead and get players on financial aid that otherwise would have possibly stayed in a public setting? You are not being realistic if you don't see this happening. I agree that schools like Trousdale have a great tradition, but when you double or triple the number of privates giving aid, better watch out, and once privates start trying to out do each other it will get worse.

Look, I'm not advocating public or private here, but the poster who said it will be the jones keeping up with the jones mentality is exactly what I was trying to say. Currently only D2 schools are allowed to give aid to sports and before you bite my head off, I am aware that it goes on in some cases in D1. However my point is that when you move all privates to D2, you mean to tell me that Lipscomb, CPA, Goodpasture to name a few won't go full speed ahead and get players on financial aid that otherwise would have possibly stayed in a public setting? You are not being realistic if you don't see this happening. I agree that schools like Trousdale have a great tradition, but when you double or triple the number of privates giving aid, better watch out, and once privates start trying to out do each other it will get worse.

The small rural schools would not be effected, they are too far away from away private schools. Most rural areas have no need for private schools.

Be interesting to see if JPII had a winning football program like BA or Ensworth how we'll they would pull from Hartsville, Gallatin and Station Camp. Right now none of those kids would want to go to JPII. But if JPII was as good as Ensworth you're telling me some of those country kids wouldn't go?

Goodpasture seriously considered moving to Hendersonville and then decided not to. Davidson Academy I thought was going to move there in the future. Even if they don't with the population growing in Sumner I would suspect there will be more private schools just like there's a ton of privates in Brentwood/Nashville. Hartsville kids going private now might sound insane but if they get a D2 private winner up North with college level education might be tough for even a die hard yellow jacket to turn down.

Using simple math if you double or triple the schools in D2, then you double or triple the financial aid available for kids playing sports.

The kids will come from somewhere. I somewhat agree with the poster about small rural schools, but rumor is that 1 or 2 Nashville schools are seriously considering adding a dorm for boarding students (football and basketball players). Once this happens even rural schools are not untouchable.

Yes, the private schools have an unfair advantage by being able to recruit and bring in players from the larger cities instead of their neighborhood or local community.  And then you have a school like Goodpasture; 7 seniors, ranked #1, only 1 loss and probably will win the state championship who still decide to go to Clay County and illegally film the Clay County and Clarkrange game.  If they cheat in this way, it makes you wonder how many more ways they cheat.  Oh yeah, I've got the pictures if you want to see them and they were sent to the TSSAA.