Cheatham County @ CPA: Class AA Sectional Battle

Why the starters still playing, alley oops, dunks, running the score up etc. with the game in hand ?  Cubs, you had a good season, and nothing to be ashamed of playing this team.  I'm tired of watchng this.

Bballer - I understand your point.  Coaches with class would have pulled their starters.  Congratulations to the Cubs on a great season.

Just got home from the game and have lots of questions of why Cheatham stayed in a man to man defense and didn't try to protect their big guy inside and why I never saw a screen set on offense. It was obvious those kids were very talented, but were unprepared for the game. CPA has ran the same 3/4 defense for quite some time and I know its good, but as quick and as well as Cheatham handles the ball, well, nobody was moving without the ball. Any thoughts? Would it have made a difference? A lesser Spring Hill team cut it to 4 mid way through the fourth quarter last year using an extended zone. And Saunders was completely taken out of the game in the first half, should have set some screens for him. No way is that game supposed to be that lopsided!

Just got home from the game and have lots of questions of why Cheatham stayed in a man to man defense and didn't try to protect their big guy inside and why I never saw a screen set on offense. It was obvious those kids were very talented, but were unprepared for the game. CPA has ran the same 3/4 defense for quite some time and I know its good, but as quick and as well as Cheatham handles the ball, well, nobody was moving without the ball. Any thoughts? Would it have made a difference? A lesser Spring Hill team cut it to 4 mid way through the fourth quarter last year using an extended zone. And Saunders was completely taken out of the game in the first half, should have set some screens for him. No way is that game supposed to be that lopsided!

Sounds good when you are typing it on a keyboard, but not so easy on the court. Do you really think over 90 TN HS coaches in a row over the last 3 years do not have enough sense to scheme a win over CPA? The big mistake they made was trying to play up tempo against the best full court team in the state. To beat CPA you have to wait for good shots (not easy), make most of them (even harder) and not turn it over against CPA pressure (nearly impossible). Creekwood did it for a half and was still down by 5 until CPA made their run in the 2nd half.

the entire state knew it would happen, with the exception of CC. Weak district hurt them. Congrats on a good season

Why the starters still playing, alley oops, dunks, running the score up etc. with the game in hand ?  Cubs, you had a good season, and nothing to be ashamed of playing this team.  I'm tired of watchng this.

if the starters were out you would have made a run and then talked crap

Congrats to CPA for playing an outstanding game tonight and advancing to try and win their 3rd straight state tournament. That is one heckuva team and it will take a monumental effort for someone to knock them off. Blackwell is one of the best high school players I have ever seen and Bonds was outstanding tonight as well. The Cubs needed CPA to have an off night and have everything go perfectly to win but neither happened tonight. Coach Maddux had a great plan and took Saunders out of the game by running multiple defenders at him every time he touched it. Don't have any delusions about it changing the outcome, but the quick fouls on Darden expedited the process for sure. Great season for the Cubs, who finish 25-2 with losses to a pair of state tournament squads. Cheatham's seniors have had a great run and brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. Thank you guys. Good luck to CPA in Murfreesboro. You have an outstanding team and were really impressive tonight.