Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Nice Tennessean/Gannett Coverage for an area 50 miles to the west of Nashville...

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/dickson/sports/2014/12/24/dms-wrestling-tops-mcac-ranks/20825535/

DMS wrestling tops MCAC ranks

John Bailey/Dickson Herald

Trace Doddo won the 106-pound division for Dickson Middle at the MCAC wrestling tournament on Dec. 20 in Greenbrier.

With another team win in the MCAC tournament last Saturday, the Dickson Middle wrestling team looks to keep that success going with the talent coming back next season.

Dickson Middle finished with 182 team points, four first place finishers and 13 wrestlers overall making it to the medal round. The DMS champions were Trace Doddo (106 pounds), Andy Fueroa (119), Jefferson Wheeler (131) and Patrick Martin (165). Wheeler also received the best match award for the tournament.

“Having so many guys in the finals, it was just a really good year,†Dickson Middle head coach Curtis Primm said after the tournament. “I looked for all of them to really do good but a couple of surprises in there. I expected Trace Doddo and also Patrick Martin to kind of breeze through.

“Andy Flores wrestled a really good match and was a surprise to me. He came up to me and told me, ‘Coach, I’m beat’, but he got his mind right and came back and said he was going to win it and he turned around and did…that just stands out to me. All of them were good matches but his, we had the one-on-one conversation and to see him reverse his fate, that’s what it’s all about.â€

Dickson Middle will be losing around a dozen of this year’s wrestles, eighth graders.

“But we’ll just rebuild again. We did that last year. I thought we were going to be in bad shape but we had a lot of guys turnout and a lot of first year guys, who turned out to be starters. Of the group of medalists from this year’s MCAC tourney, Coach Primm said he’ll be losing 10 of the 13.

“Hopefully we can reload and get another good group out again and do this again,†the coach said. “The team effort overall was really good. We pushed them this week and the guys responded…that was good to see. They came. We practiced for four days and came back to practice Friday.

“We didn’t really do a lot of practicing that day but we just come together like family and hung out. School was cut short (last Friday) and we just had a good time and the guys showed up today.â€

Primm hopes that his out-going eight graders take what they’ve learned and apply it to time competing for the Dickson County High wrestling team.

“That’s what we stress go out and get better, get another two months worth of Dominators Wrestling, AAU, and finish it out and then head for the high school.â€

Copyright Gannett 2014

thanks George...

Jeff Jordan .... A member of the Tennessee chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame continues his pattern of success...

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/12/23/chs-jeff-jordan-named-areas-top-soccer-coach/20838499/

CHS’ Jeff Jordan named All Area’s top soccer coach

George Robinson, Clarksville 7:48 p.m. CST December 23, 2014

(Photo: THE LEAF-CHRONICLE)

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. – Jeff Jordan’s tenure as the Clarksville High girls’ soccer coach has been relatively short. But in that small space of time, Jordan has been able to accomplish more than any of his predecessors combined.

In three years, Jordan has guided Clarksville High to three straight district tournament titles, three consecutive region titles and the only two Class AAA state tournament appearances in the program’s history.

And last October was a first. Jordan inspired his team to overcome years of not quite being able to measure up as the Lady Wildcats upset No. 1-ranked and nationally ranked Houston High School in the 3A state championship game in Murfreesboro to capture CHS’ first state title in girls’ soccer.

And for his efforts, for the second time in three years, Jordan was named The Leaf-Chronicle All Area Girls’ Soccer Coach of the Year. The award is voted on by the newspaper sports staff while the All Area Soccer Team is selected by the area athletics directors.

“Most people may not understand how special of an accomplishment that was,†Jordan said. “This program started so far back, and to just be in the equation, to compete against the top teams in the state on a consistent basis, shows how far this program has come.â€

Jordan spent nearly 20 years coaching wrestling at Clarksville and established that program as a state power. He’s doing the same with the girls soccer program, only more quickly. It took Jordan seven years to win his first state dual titles with the wrestling team. Two months ago, he beat what seemed like an unbeatable team in Houston, 3-1, to take home the state title. It capped off a perfect year with the Lady Wildcats finishing 24-0-3.

“Often you talk about the character and courage of teams that lose those kinds of games,†Jordan said. “But sometimes you want to talk about that same character and courage when you win a game like that. I’m just so proud that our girls showed that kind of courage and character and actually came out with the win. They worked so hard and suffered as well. But suffering sometimes comes with being a champion.â€

Jordan freely admits that he pushes his girls, sometimes to the brink. But the end result oftentimes finds his players being able to mentally and emotionally handle his onslaught, making difficult circumstances on the playing field seem miniscule by comparison.

“They had a wonderful year and they stayed focused the whole time,†he said. “We had to change the way we thought about soccer when I first got here, but the girls bought in.â€

Jordan’s teams have lost only one District 10 game during the regular season in his three years of coaching while he’s continuously ramped up his team’s schedule to include some of the midstate’s best.

In all three of his years at the helm, Clarksville High has beat powerhouse Hendersonville for the region title, and two out of his three years, the Lady Wildcats knocked off state power Franklin in the 3A sectional contest. He’s 63-8-5 in his three years at CHS.

“From the beginning we wanted our kids to develop in practice and in games,†he said. “If we were playing a team and it was a lopsided score, we often worked on our game during a game. We worked on dropping the ball off, maybe shooting with our off leg or shooting from a distance. Sometimes we worked on our passing. I always felt that teams that just pass it around to keep from scoring was sort of humiliating to an opponent. If we scored, we scored, but we never tried to run up the score.â€

With players like Ella Baggett, who was named a high school All American this season, Jordan’s daughter Salera Jordan, Melia Correa, Justis Bailey, Gybson Roth, Lexie Hayes, Autumn Copeland and Kelsey Greiff, goals were never in short supply. Clarksville beat Oakland 5-0 in the first round of the state tournament in October, then dropped Collierville 4-1. The Lady Wildcats scored twice in the first half of the state title game, before Houston got a goal early in the second to cut the game to 2-1. But Baggett’s goal midway through the second sealed the 3-1 win Nov. 1.

“It was a special year that all of us that were associated with it will never forget,†Jordan said. “And I’m proud of that.â€

George Robinson. Prep writer. 245-0747. georgerobinson@theleafchronicle.com.

• Upvote 1

To my memory, limited as it may be, Jeff Jordan is one of two coaches in Tennessee HS wrestling history to win state championships at more than one school.

Note: Gordon Connell the other

Pat Simpson won a state championship as the head coach for softball & as an assistant football coach.

• Upvote 1

Local Media Coverage in Cleveland...

http://www.clevelandbanner.com/view/full_story/26281573/article-Raiders-wrestle-to-big-mat-win-over-Trojans?instance=home_sports

Raiders wrestle to big mat win over Trojans

by JOHN HUNT - CHATTANOOGAN.COM 2 days ago | 367 views | 0  | 18  |  | 

CHATTANOOGA — Several folks questioned the reasoning behind scheduling the Soddy-Daisy-Cleveland wrestling match for two days before Christmas.

All the shopping is hopefully done, all of the presents are wrapped and it was a rainy Tuesday night, so why not gather at the Soddy-Daisy Wrestling Arena for a dual meet featuring two teams that are traditionally in the thick of the running for state honors in mid-February?

Things turned out well for visiting Cleveland as the Blue Raiders improved to 9-3 with the 39-30 victory.

Soddy-Daisy coach Jim Higgins was in Knoxville attending the funeral of his wife’s grandmother, so he wasn’t present, but Trojans assistants Brad Laxton and Ashley Brooks took charge.

Both teams are coming off a weekend of tough competition at the McCallie Invitational and both appeared somewhat sluggish and sloppy in their execution on the mat. But when the last match had ended, Cleveland prevailed and will go into a well-deserved five-day break on a positive note.

“We got a tough match tonight and I thought that both teams looked a little sluggish as we’re sore and beat up following the McCallie tournament, but a ‘W’ is a ‘W’ and I’ll take it,†said Cleveland coach Jake Yost once the match ended.

“We could have fought harder in spots and we gave up a lot more pins than I would have liked, but it’s always good to get a win against a tough team like Soddy-Daisy. It’s hard to beat a good team when you get pinned as many times as we did, but I’m happy for the most part with our performance,†he added.

The match started at 285 and Trey Simpson needed just 51 seconds to give Cleveland a 6-0 lead.

John Gaither finished the match with a first-period pin at 220 to clinch the win as the Blue Raiders won the last three matches — including two by pins — to turn a 30-24 deficit into the nine-point win.

Colton Landers, Aaron Oliver and Seth Garcia both added pins for Cleveland while teammates Cody Mathews, Ezra Taylor and Riley Stevison all posted wins by regular decision.

Soddy-Daisy countered with three pins — all in the first period — from Landon Wheaton, Austin Houser and Tucker Russo while Jacob McClure and Austin Williamson both notched 7-4 regular decisions. Chase Payne was awarded a forfeit at 120, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Cleveland’s strong finish.

“We fought hard and I’m proud of our fight as we brought it tonight,†said Laxton after his Trojans had fallen to 13-4 overall.

“We still have time to get better. Cleveland won the matches they had to win. There were a few spots where we thought we might get a surprise win, but those never materialized. We knew we were behind the eight ball going in, but we need matches like this.

“I’m proud of Landon Wheaton for getting that pin at 106,†Laxton added.

“I thought it was a good match as we came to wrestle and so did they,†said Brooks later.

“We have a young team with lots of kids with less experience than we’re used to, but we’re making strides. I’m overall pleased with our performance tonight,†Brooks nodded.

Both teams have several days off to catch their collective breath, but they will both be back in action on Jan. 3 in the annual Soddy-Daisy Scuffle.

CLEVELAND 39, SODDY DAISY 30

(Match started at 285 Pounds)

106 — Landon Wheaton (SD) pinned Jayce Mullin ©, :34; 113 — Cody Mathews © dec. Justin Taylor (SD), 9-2; 120 — Chase Payne (SD) won by forfeit; 126 — Colton Landers © pinned Jacob Thomas (SD), 1:25; 132 — Jacob McClure (SD) dec. Tristian Blansit ©, 7-4; 138 — Austin Howser (SD) pinned Joseph Bowers ©, 1:46; 145 — Ezra Taylor © dec. Emory Holcomb (SD), 9-3; 152 — Tucker Russo (SD) pinned Jack Hicks ©, 1:12; 160 — Aaron Oliver © pinned Conner Styles (SD), 3:55; 170 — Austin Williamson (SD) dec. Jonathan Martin ©, 7-4; 182 — Riley Stevison © dec. Hunter Rogers (SD), 14-8; 195 — Seth Garcia © pinned Addison Roberts (SD), 3:43; 220 — John Gaither © pinned Elijah Cartwright (SD), 1:52; 285 — Trey Simpson © pinned Dylan Aslinger (SD), 0:51.