Inspiring for coaches and wrestlers...

Sommers

Good year in wrestling...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/33113-2014-2015-Top-10-D1-Moments#.VeI-83Mo7qB

Go to link for... Wrestling News and Updates, Videos, Articles

2014-2015 Top 10 D1 Moments

Christian Pyles on Aug 28, 2015 | More Posts

For me a moment is an instance where you immediately recall where you were, what you were doing and how you felt when it happened.  

Whether it's the highs of a great win or exciting action; or the drama of intense controversy, the D1 season spared us no drama last year.  Narrowing a list down to 10 was not an easy task, with a number of deserving moments in time.  For myself these were the ones I found to be the most dramatic and impactful.

10.  The Logan Stieber v. Nick Dardanes scoring mishap:  

Willie and I went in depth on the situation on FRL.  On this episode we describe what happened: With Nick Dardanes storming back late against Logan, a stall point was awarded to Dardanes, but never put up on the scoreboard.  This caused Dardanes to cut Stieber late when a rideout would have secured overtime and a potential win for Dardanes.  Not only do we place blame about this, Willie deftly and eerily foreshadowed worst case scenario on FRL: What if this happened at NCAA's?  I'm sorry we had to find out.  More to come on that issue.  This match was huge beyond the scoring mishap in that it would have been the lone blemish on Stieber's season and could have potentially eliminted him from Hodge Contention (or at least made it a more uphill battle). Tune in to 2:30 for our take on the situation and Willie's prophecy.

9. Josh Kindigs epic takedown against Drake Houdashelt at the Southern Scuffle.

It is flurries like this that will remind me of Josh Kindig.  His no-handed back-arch throw, whatever you want to call it was one of the most discussed exchanges of the season.  Whether you believe it was a bad 2 call or not, let's just appreciate great wrestling and a riveting moment.

8.  Iowa v. Penn State at Bryce Jordan Center.

I said it then and I said it again.  The bar was raised.  Forget the fact that they crammed in the 2nd biggest crowd in NCAA history.  It was a visual spectical in every way. Sure there was the wrestling great with a number of fantastic matches.  For me it was the atmosphere, lighting and environment that set it apart and made it (for me) the one of greatest dual atmospheres I've witnessed.

7. Hunter Stieber's heroic win over Beitz at Big 10's.

Everybody knew the elbow-less Hunter was a shell of himself.  Everybody also knew that this win over Beitz would secure his spot at NCAA's.  Hunter Stieber personified guts in this last second win over Beitz.  While it didn't lead to any points for TOSU at NCAA's, Hunter's guts and fight were widely considered a catalyst and rallying cry for the Buckeyes to bring home the title.

6. Missouri v. Iowa at National Duals (AKA Flap-gate)

National Duals were especially dramatic this year.  We hadLehigh taking down the NCAA Champs early.  Palacio's SHHH at the Iowa crowd and it all culminated with Flap-gate. This one literally dominated the internet for a few days.  Waters getting flung back with legs in by Gilman, the bizarre penalty point, the jawing from coaches and athletes and who can forget the conveniently timed "flaps" from Waters.  It all went down in D1 wrestling's most raucous setting: Carver Hawkeye Arena.  This one set the wrestling world abuzz.  Everybody took a side.  Relive the insanity below.

5. Dylan Ness says goodbye.

Injuries are an unfortunate part of the sport.  Sometimes they take some of wrestling's best entertainer's off the mat.  I loved what Dylan Ness did.  After injuring his shoulder beyond what could be wrestled on against Realbuto in the NCAA semi's,  Dylan came out for his match against Nick Brascetta the next morning.  Not to wrestle, but to say goodbye to the Minnesota faithful.  What I love about wrestling is that while fans have favorite teams, but they all appreciate entertainers.  The ovation from the entirecrowd to Dylan is one I won't forget.  Can't wait to see Ness as he heals up and transitions into Greco either!

4. Zeke Moisey pins Thomas Gilman.

Haven't heard an arena that loud since Metcalf v. Caldwell in 2009.  It was that loud.  Louder than Bubba/DT even.  The crowd was already dialed in after Moisey's quick strike to take a 2-0 lead.  They were glued early.  Then the quick release, quick shot and cradle got the place downright lawless!  I was (attempting) to commentate the Tomasello/Waters match at the time and distinctly remember not being able to hear myself speak.  It was an incredible moment and one you only really get at NCAA's. 

3. Logan Stieber wins #4.

Such an historic accomplishment and rarified air.  Logan Stieber joined just Pat Smith, Cael Sanderson and Kyle Dake as 4-time NCAA Champs.  This certainly could be number 1 for some.  It was something I (and many others) had seen coming and expected after he won #2.  I was prepared for it and he did it in workmanlike fashion.  It didn't have the pop of a DT/Dake type of rivalry (fair or not).  Logan just outclassed the field that much.  

2. We all live in the matrix. (NCAA Seeding insanity)

We didn't hold back much on our distaste for the NCAA seeds on FRL (tune into 16 minutes in).  Jason Borelli came on and gave us some explanations and revelations: Losses do not matter.  At all.  Go ahead, lose to a winless wrestler.  It makes no difference.  VT Head Coach Kevin Dresser said he'd seen Middle School tournaments seeded better.  I was going to name a few of the worst gaffes, but I'd be writing all night. 

1. #FreeIanMiller

I re-listened to Willie and I go off about this on FRL and I got furious all over again.  When 7 minutes was up, Ian Miller had one more point than Brian Realbuto.  Despite the Kent State coaching staff asking if the score was right, the refs dismissively sent them back to their corner and let an overtime begin that never should have occurred.  A gassed Miller loses the match in OT.  It would be nice if that was the worst of it.  The NCAA committee voted to double down on incompetence after the fact and name Realbuto the winner despite having the power to do the opposite.  The NCAA made Kent State Coach Jim Andrassay the scapegoat for their own mistakes saying he should have done an official challenge.  There's much more to the story and we were able to question a member of the NCAA Committee. The backlash was rampant throughout the community with nearly everyone recognizing Miller as having been screwed.  Watch the match here...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/251734-Wrestling-News-and-Updates/article/33113-2014-2015-Top-10-D1-Moments#.VeI-83Mo7qB

Coach Todd Allen Joins Devan Cyree at Ouachita College this season...

http://www.obu.edu/news/2015/08/28/todd-allen-named-new-wrestling-coach-at-ouachita/

(Story C/P below)

Other news... Recent 2015 recruits (intermat):

01-20-15

Lyon

Robert Beaulieu

School:

Lawrence County

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

07-11-13

Chattanooga

Chris Debien

School:

Cleveland

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

02-12-15

Ouachita Baptist

Devan Cyree

School:

Tullahoma

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

125/133

02-04-15

Air Force

Justin Becci

School:

Brentwood Academy

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

09-30-14

Bucknell

Cale Shelton

School:

Signal Mountain

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

174/184

11-17-14

Lindenwood

John Kramer

School:

Wilson Central

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

05-28-14

Chattanooga

Chad Solomon

School:

Maryville

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

174/184

03-25-15

Williams Baptist

Perry Baltz

School:

Wilson Central

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

04-02-15

Doane

Cody Linton

School:

Winters (via Cumberland University)

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

184/197

04-15-15

Old Dominion

Blake Sutherland

School:

The Baylor School

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

157/165

01-29-15

Chattanooga

Tyler Garrison

School:

Blackman

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

149/157

05-12-15

King

Mike Binns

School:

Wilson Central

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

05-15-15

Williams Baptist

Christian Macias

School:

West Creek

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

133/141

05-26-15

Cumberland

Nathan Breeden

School:

Pigeon Forge

State:

TN

Proj Wght:

184/197

------------------

Side Note: Logan Davis of Southern Virginia University days he has a wrestler, Simon Buchovich on his team this year. He wrestled at Union County High School near Knoxville, TN.

Story on Coaching Change:

Todd Allen named new wrestling coach at Ouachita

28 Aug, 2015

The Ouachita Baptist University Athletic Department has officially announced the hiring of new wrestling head coach Todd Allen. His hiring follows a national search of prospective candidates to take over the position.

Athletic Director David Sharp affirmed Allen’s career both as a coach and a leader.

“Coach Allen is the perfect fit for our program,†Sharp said. “He brings with him a history of success as a coach and a competitor. He has a distinguished career as a serviceman and those qualities will be of great benefit to our wrestlers and the program.â€

Allen most recently served as the head coach at Cumberland State University in Lebanon, Tenn., where he coached and trained six NAIA All-Americans, including a national champion and a national runner-up. While at Cumberland, Allen’s squads finished sixth nationally in 2013-14 and produced three Academic All-Americans.

“I’m extremely grateful to become the head coach at Ouachita,†Allen said. “It’s a great opportunity to work with the athletes here and continue to build on the winning traditions already established here.

“Being here and seeing the facilities, I know with the guys we have coming back will meet and exceed expectations going into this season,†he added.

A native of Kentucky, Allen also served as a company commander for the Kentucky Army National Guard and earned the Bronze Star during Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration from the University of the Cumberlands in Williamsburg, Ky., and earned his Master of Business Administration degree from Cumberland University in 2008.

“The whole point of the wrestling was to show everybody we have to play with more intensity and really want to win,†said Emma Lenoir, the coach’s daughter. “And you have to work hard to do that. It got a lot of people’s attention and we were more aggressive in our play. Wrestling showed us we have to fight to win and we did that today.â€

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/9/3/307540/Wrestling-Session-Sparks-Lady--Canes.aspx

Wrestling Session Sparks Lady 'Canes To Volleyball Win

East Hamilton Aggressive In 3-0 Victory Over Bradley

Thursday, September 3, 2015 - by Larry Fleming

East Hamilton volleyball standout Emma Lenoir (4) powers a kill between Bradley Central defenders Monica Johnson (14) and Missy Abbott (22) during their District 5-AAA match on Thursday. 

- photo by Dennis Norwood

All season long, East Hamilton volleyball coach Kristy Lenoir has been less than pleased with her team’s lack of emotion on the court.

So, to change that Lenoir spent her allotted practice time putting the Lady Hurricanes through one-on-one wrestling matches.

Yep, wrestling.

“I’ve never had a practice like that one,†Lenoir said Thursday. “We’ve lacked emotion and a desire to win and I knew we had to do something to get some nastiness, some meanness and desire on the court.â€

The unusual path to finding a solution apparently worked.

East Hamilton played inspired volleyball in sweeping visiting Bradley Central, 3-0, turning in one of their best overall performances of the season.

“The girls were in shock when we walked into the wrestling room on Wednesday,†Lenoir said. “They had no idea what was coming. We had nine circles and they were going at each other one-on-one in best-of-five matches. They legitimately wanted to win and gave maximum effort. I think it helped a lot today in terms of how we played.â€

East Hamilton wrestling coach Ryan Cooper gave Lenoir permission to use the mats as long as the girls didn’t wear shoes or jewelry. Cooper even provided Lenoir with several drills for the Lady Hurricanes are he uses with his wrestlers.

The Lady Hurricanes’ solid start-to-finish effort paid off with consistently strong play and they disposed of the Bearettes by scores of 25-22, 25-23 and 25-20.

East Hamilton improved its records to 5-4 overall and 3-3 in District 5-3A.

They left the gymnasium Thursday feeling better about themselves, too.

“The whole point of the wrestling was to show everybody we have to play with more intensity and really want to win,†said Emma Lenoir, the coach’s daughter. “And you have to work hard to do that. It got a lot of people’s attention and we were more aggressive in our play. Wrestling showed us we have to fight to win and we did that today.â€

Lenoir was at her best against the Bearettes. She was credited with 22 kills, 13 digs and two service aces.

Her kills had more zip. More power. And they were coming from every direction – down the middle, to the left side, to the right side, down each sideline. And she was throwing in a few of her patented fake slams with deftly placed touch shots that had the Bearettes off balance.

“Emma played incredible volleyball tonight,†Bradley Central coach Christy McElhaney said. “When they get the ball to her it’s almost guaranteed they’ll score a point. They have a good team and get the ball to Emma to her at any spot she wants it. It’s very hard to defend her, very hard to block her.â€

Tori Harris was doing a lot of the setting during the match and finished with a team-high 25 assists.

Players were diving to the court to keep plays alive, hustling to make shots and overall displaying a renewed vigor about the sport.

“We were very surprised about the wrestling matches,†said Somer Batten, who eight kills for the Lady Hurricanes. “It caught us off-guard. It was tough and we went hard after each other. I really believe it helped us out today.â€

Thanks to strong net play by Natalie Jennings, Bradley jumped out to an 8-3 lead in Game 1, but the Lady Hurricanes battled back to tie the game at 16-16 on a Batten kill shot. Hillary English scored on a rocket serve and an overhead volley by Bradley’s Julia Gaither went long, giving East Hamilton an 18-16 advantage.

The Bearettes regained the lead at 20-19 on Reagan Morrison’s service point. East Hamilton scored three straight points on a Batten kill and Lenoir’s sideline slap and kill. The Bearettes grabbed a 22-20 lead when a Batten serve went long and Lenoir netted a kill.

A Bradley miscue at the net, a shot by Gabby Ghassedi late sailed long provided East Hamilton with its 23rd and 24thpoints and Lenoir finished the game off with another kill.

East Hamilton led 11-9 in Game 2 when Lenoir scored on a kill after having her previous rocket returned and a service point by Harris and Bradley’s Monica Johnson was called for a double hit and Gaither and Jennings both netted kills as the Lady Hurricanes stretched the spread to 16-9.

Bradley trailed 22-17, but rallied with four straight points – Gaither had a kill, Breelee Arms added a service point, Jennings drilled a kill and Arms had a service point – and Lenoir hit a hard smash into the next.

Suddenly the Bearettes were tied at 22-all.

Lenoir countered with a kill that was deflected out of play by a Bradley player, Jennings yielded a point on a double hit to give East Hamilton a 24-22 margin. Gaither contributed a slap winner and another Lenoir kill gave the Lady Hurricanes a 2-0 game lead.

“We played flat and out of sync,†McElhaney said. “We had a real good match Tuesday against Walker Valley and played tough. Even against Walker we didn’t play up, but played steady. I don’t know if there is tension between some of the girls, but we’ll get to the bottom of it.â€

In Game 3, East Hamilton built 8-3 and 16-8 leads and the spread was 20-15 after Lenoir’s fisted punch shot. Bradley scored two straight points on a Jennings kill and Lenoir’s shot that found the net. Batten scored on a tap, but Lenoir sent a kill out of play and the Lady Hurricanes’ lead was 21-19.

Batten added a kill and Johnson gave up a point on a double hit and East Hamilton was within two points of ending the match. They came when Lenoir smashed a cross-court kill and Bradley was called for touching the net.

• Upvote 2

2015-16 UTC Schedule...

http://www.gomocs.com/news/2015/9/17/WR_0917151620.aspx

Mocs Announce 2015-16 Wrestling Schedule

Stanford, Ohio, SoCon Matches & the Southern Scuffle highlight the home slate.

Sep. 18, 2015 Wrestling

2015-16 SCHEDULEPURCHASE SEASON TICKETSUniversity of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling head coach Heath Eslingerannounced the Mocs' 2015-16 schedule today.  UTC's upcoming slate includes 20 events, beginning with the Blue-Gold Match on Thursday, Oct. 29. 

After the annual intrasquad scrimmage, the Mocs send selected individuals to take part in the NWCA All-Star Meet in Atlanta, Ga., on Sunday, Nov. 1.  That is followed by the first of 12 dual meets with a visit from Stanford on Saturday, Nov. 7.

"It is an exciting start to the season," stated Eslinger.  "We will have some guys down in Atlanta for the undercard at the All-Star meet.  I think our fans like seeing us represented at national events like that.  We then come right back and open the dual season against a talented Stanford squad."

The Mocs have been a thorn in the side of the Cardinal, pulling off upsets in the last two meetings.  UTC beat a 15th-ranked Stanford team 25-13 in Palo Alto, Calif., on Dec. 21, 2013.  Nick Soto had one of the biggest regular season wins in school history when he defeated No. 1 Ryan Mango in that match. 

Chattanooga took down a No. 12 Cardinal squad on its last trip to Maclellan Gym on Nov. 20, 2011.  Current assistant coachNiko Brown had a pin at 197 to seal the win.

The Mocs travel to the Hokie Open on Nov. 8 and host Cumberland and Southeastern on Nov. 14.  They close out a very busy first month of action at the Wolfpack Open on Nov. 22. 

The Southern Conference opener is on the road at VMI on Thursday, Dec. 10, followed by a Saturday match at Campbell on Dec. 12.  Ohio and Southern Illinois visit UTC on Dec. 18 and 20 to wrap up 2015.

UTC again hosts the prestigious Southern Scuffle at McKenzie Arena on Jan. 1-2.  The Scuffle has grown into the best in-season collegiate wrestling tournament in the nation. The field of 30 teams will be released in the coming weeks, and fans can expect to ring in the New Year with some great competition. 

There is a return trip to the Virginia Duals on Jan. 8-9, followed by SoCon matches against Gardner-Webb (Jan. 15), at Davidson (Jan. 30), against Appalachian State (Feb. 5) and at The Citadel (Feb. 12).  The regular season closes at Virginia on Feb. 14 and in the NWCA National Duals on Feb.22. 

The Southern Conference Tournament is back in Asheville, N.C., again this year.  Competition takes place at Kimmel Arena on Saturday, March 5.  The NCAA Tournament is set for March 17-19 in New York's Madison Square Garden.

Wrestling season tickets are on sale now on GoMocs.com.  The season ticket package includes admission to the Southern Scuffle.  All home dual matches are general admission seating, but a season ticket with a reserved seat at the scuffle is $65.  A general admission season ticket with a GA Scuffle seat is $55. 

All-session passes for just the Southern Scuffle are $55 for reserved and $35 for GA, so a UTC wrestling season ticket is a great deal.  Click here to order tickets online, or call the UTC Ticket Office at (423) 266-MOCS (6627).   

Recognition for wrestling amongst others, Thanks BB....

INCLUDING THAT GREAT GOSS NAME, going back into the 60's, 70's, 80's and beyond...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/9/18/308474/East-Ridge-Hall-of-Fame-to-Induct-10.aspx

East Ridge Hall of Fame to Induct 10 in Second Class

Hixson-East Ridge is Hall of Fame Game, Sept. 25

Friday, September 18, 2015 - by B.B. Branton

East Ridge Hall of Famers: East Ridge hall of fame committee chair Catherine Neely (top) joins five members of the class of 2015 hall of fame. (top to bottom) Ed Foster, Jimmy Starling, Lynn Goss, Leslie Williamson, Cheryl Gannon. The induction ceremony will be Sept. 25. 

- photo by MA Locke

NCAA and high school track champions, a pair of teammates who were also May Queens, a wrestling hall of famer, former coaches, multi-sport athletes and a longtime principal highlight the second class of the East Ridge High School Hall of Fame.

The 10 newest members of the school’s hall of fame will be inducted next Friday (Sept. 25) during halftime of the East Ridge-Hixson football game at Raymond James Stadium.

From Lynn Fox (NCAA champion, 4x100 relay) and Becky Herd Lively (TSSAA state mile champ) who could really run, to May Queens in successive years - Leslie Williamson, the state’s best shooter a half century ago, and Cheryl Gannon (basketball and volleyball teammates) - to Lynn Goss who had his hand raised as champion on the wrestling mat many a weekend in the mid-60s, to all-city (Jimmy Starling and Chuck Strickland) and all-state (Mike Odom) football players to the late Mike Olinger who coached several sports and Ed Foster who served as school principal for 11 years.

“This is a great hall of fame class and a good representation of the 1960s and beyond,†said hall of fame committee chair Catherine Neely.

“We hope that many East Ridge alums and friends and family members of the inductees will be in attendance next week to honor these worthy athletes, coaches and administrators.â€

Class of 2015

1. ED FOSTER– PRINCIPAL, 1988-98 … ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL, 1986-1987 … member of the TSSAA Legislative Council … Halls of Fame: Greater Chattanooga Sports

2. LYNN FOX - FOOTBALL, WRESTLING, TRACK - 1966-1968 - 1973 NCAA champion in the 4x100 relay team for U. of Memphis … Missouri Valley 7-time Sprint Champion ... Halls of Fame:  U. of Memphis and Greater Chattanooga Sports

3.  CHERYL GANNON - BASKETBALL, VOLLEYBALL, CHEERLEADING - 1966-1968 - All District, Region - State in Basketball, Volleyball – May Queen in spring 1968

4.  LYNN GOSS - WRESTLING, FOOTBALL, BASEBALL - 1965-1967 - Coached wrestling, cross country and track; 1977-1986 - State Champion Wrestler - 1966-67, member of Pioneer state championship teams in 1966 and 1967 … coached Pioneers to state team title (wrestling), 1983-84 … first wrestler in Tennessee to earn the sport’s triple crown; individual and team state champion and coached E.R. to state titles (1983-84) … Halls of Fame: National Wresting, Tenn. Chapter and Greater Chattanooga Sports

5.  BECKY HERD LIVELY - CROSS COUNTRY AND TRACK - 1985-1987 - State runner-up in Cross Country (Fall 1986) and 1987 Track State Champion - Mile Run - School Record in 3 mile Cross Country Run – school’s female athlete of the year in 1987

6.  MIKE ODOM - FOOTBALL, TRACK - 1963-1965 - All State Football 1965, School Record in Rushing - 1965, school record in the Pole Vault - 1965, Played Football in College, Has been on PGA, Canadian, and Asian Golf Tour, Coach of Golf at Decatur Christian School

7.  MIKE OLINGER (deceased) - COACH BASKETBALL - 1979-1990 - Basketball coach at ER - 1979-1994, Coached Golf and Track at ER, Coached Basketball at Madisonville.  Had record of 235-162 … his son, Travis, will represent his dad at the induction ceremony ... Travis has coached Basketball and Football at ER as well.

8.  JIMMY STARLING â€“ FOOTBALL, BASKETBALL and BASEBALL for the Pioneers; 1965-1967 … Honorable Mention All-City in football … Coached same three sports at ER and was coach of the year in all three sports and was coach of year in all three

9.  CHUCK STRICKLAND - FOOTBALL, WRESTLING, TRACK - 1968-1970 - Participated in Football, Wrestling, and Track at ER - All City and County in Football, threw the discus and was third in the state in the heavyweight division in 1970 - Played Football at Alabama and was 3 year starter at middle linebacker – All-SEC – led ‘Bama in tackles as a junior and senior … Pre-Season All American – Jr. and Sr. - Team was SEC Champions 1971-1973 .... 32-4 in three seasons, and won National Championship in 1973 – Halls of Fame: Greater Chattanooga Sports

10.  LESLIE WILLIAMSON - BASKETBALL, VOLLEYBALL - 1966-1968 - averaged 33 points a game in Sr. year - all City and all District - All tournament and MVP for Basketball and Volleyball in Jr. and Sr. year. – led the state in scoring – Sr. year was All-state Basketball and E.R. May Queen

contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

Great example of one can accomplish right here in Tennessee wrestling as three time qualifier and 2008 All-American Cody Cleveland has joined the Navy wrestling staff as an assistant coach...

http://m.navysports.com/m/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/092415aab.html

Coach Cody Cleveland ...has joined the Navy wrestling staff as an assistant coach it was announced on Thursday by second-year Navy head coach Joel Sharratt.  

“I am excited about the opportunity that lies before me in joining head coach Joel Sharratt and his staff in coaching at one of the most historical and respected institutions in the country,†said Cleveland.  “The Naval Academy has a rich wrestling tradition and I am looking forward to help build upon what has already been achieved and continuing to strive for more.â€

“I could not be more pleased to add Cody Cleveland to our wrestling staff,†said Sharratt.  “As an NCAA All-American, a three-time conference champion and a three-time NCAA qualifier, he understands the commitment to excellence we have in our program and throughout the Naval Academy athletic department.  

“Cody will be a great asset to our program and as a younger coach, he will bring the grind to our athletes on the mat every day.  He will have a specific focus on our middle weights and mat work.  Cody will be a great addition to round out a staff whose focus is providing our Midshipmen the coaching, development and resources they need to compete at the elite level nationally. He is fully committed to being a part of building leaders of character in combat for our Navy and Marine Corps.  Cody is the newest addition to the NAAA Expect to Win Team!â€

Cleveland comes to Annapolis bringing with him a wealth of experience from the high school level, having coached at Tullahoma High School in Tennessee (2011-12) and most recently three years at McCallie School in Chattanooga.  Under his direction, Tullahoma produced the most placewinners in school history with four.  Meanwhile, at McCallie School he wore several hats, serving as assistant varsity wrestling coach, head junior varsity wrestling coach, assistant middle school wrestling coach, assistant middle school track & field coach and assistant strength and conditioning coach.  He was recently named the 2014-15 National Wrestling Coaches Association Assistant Coach of the Year for the state of Tennessee.  In addition to fulfilling his coaching responsibilities, Cleveland was also a teacher at both institutions.

He has served as camp counselor and technician at numerous camps over the years, while also giving back to the Chattanooga community through various volunteer organizations and community service projects.

Cleveland, who earned his Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in 2009, garnered All-America honors in 2008 after placing eighth at the NCAA Championship.  He was crowned the 141-pound Southern Conference Champion in 2008, ‘09 and ‘11, was named the Southern Conference Tournament’s Most Outstanding Wrestler in 2008 and ‘09 and the Southern Conference Wrestler of the Year in 2009.  A three-year team captain, Cleveland was asked to serve on the committee to hire the Chattanooga’s wrestling head coach in the summer of 2009.

Cleveland also found success in the classroom where he was named to the Dean’s List four times as a criminal justice major with a psychology minor.  In the spring of 2009, he was a finalist for UTC’s Coleman Lew Award recognizing the school’s top student-athlete.

Chattanooga area wrestling coaches out to take down Ironman

September 27th, 2015

by Jim Tanner in Sports -

UTC wrestling coach Heath Eslinger, left, and Signal Mountain assistant wrestling coach Phil Mansueto, bottom, prepare for a training swim while UTC campus recreation members prepare to support them in preparation for today's Ironman Chattanooga. Eslinger, Mansueto and others in the wrestling community are trying to complete the 144.6-mile triathlon in its second year in the Scenic City.

Photo by Contributed Photo /Times Free Press.

'Finish what we started:' Father will race in Ironman to honor son after his sudden death

Ironman 2015: Tips for navigating Sunday's race

Chattanooga area wrestling coaches out to take down Ironman

Ironman expected to give Chattanooga $11 million economic boost

Medical team will keep close watch over Ironman in Chattanooga

Are you an Ironman wannabe? Experts say you need to start slowly

University of Tennessee at Chattanooga wrestling coach Heath Eslinger helped the Mocs put opposing wrestlers through misery over the years, but at 7:30 this morning he'll be on the receiving end of the pain as he takes on the second running of the Little Debbie Ironman Chattanooga triathlon.

He's been waiting for more than a year for the 144.6-mile test of will and endurance.

"I think wrestlers by nature are intrigued by suffering, I guess you could say," Eslinger said. "When it came to Chattanooga last year everyone was excited, but it filled up so quick so there weren't a lot of spaces available."

Fortunately for Eslinger, misery loves company, so he'll have some support and competition from the local wrestling community.

Eslinger will be joined in the 2.4-mile swim, 116-mile bike ride and 26.2-mile run by former UTC wrestlers Ben Smith, Brandon Wright and Dan Waddell. Wright's father and UTC wrestling booster Dennis Wright, Signal Mountain assistant wrestling coach Phil Mansueto and Mansueto's brother-in-law Andy Coombs — also a former wrestler — also will be taking part.

"Ironman is one of those things that a lot of people look at and say, 'Oh I could do that,' but not many people do it," said Smith, the wrestling coach at Bradley Central High School. "So there's a lure of going out and doing something that a lot of people probably could do but they never go out and try."

Former Bradley coaches Steve Logsdon and Turner Jackson were into triathlons, and Smith and Eslinger credit them for getting them into the sport at a young age. Smith completed last year's Ironman Chattanooga in just over 12 hours, and he sees similarities in the mindset needed to be successful in wrestling and triathlons.

"In my opinion, individual sports are different because you're relying on yourself," he said. "Track, cross country, swimming, biking, wrestling — in all these things you're completely relying on yourself, and I think over the years it develops an element of toughness."

"I think wrestlers are kind of inherently tough and in triathlons there's going to come a point when you have to be tough. I think that's an attraction — it's a way that we can still test ourselves."

Eslinger did an Ironman 70.3 in 2004 but hasn't attempted a triathlon in 10 years, and he feels he's training smarter now that he's more settled in his life.

"Age brings a little bit more maturity," he said. "You train smarter instead of going hard all the time. In wrestling, it's kind of pedal to the floor and nonstop with somebody trying to beat you up. This is a little more of a race against yourself, and your challenge is you."

The group has been able to train together at times to get ready for today, which has helped as they battle the grind of long hours running, biking and swimming.

"We've trained a lot together. When you're training for something like this, the training sessions are pretty long. It's not just about having someone to train with, it's about having someone to talk to the whole time.

There's that inner competition between all of us, but at the end of the day we're just going to try to enjoy the day as much as you can enjoy exercising for 10 to 12 hours nonstop."

The competitive nature among this "band of brothers" that pushes these men in the wrestling world also has added a bit of urgency as Smith looks to improve on his result from last year.

"It's all fun and games while we're out training together and getting in shape," he said. "But I know that come Monday, we're all going to be comparing our results with each other. So this year my training has been a lot better, because I know down the road at a wrestling match or camp we're going joking and kidding each other about how well we did."

Both Eslinger and Smith also see being a part of the 2,500-athlete field as important to show support to the Chattanooga area and inspire their current athletes to keep working hard to achieve their goals on the wrestling match and in life.

"It's great way to support the community," Eslinger said. "I believe we live in one of the best communities in America, and this is a way for us to be involved.

"And it's also fun to have our athletes to watch us suffer a little. I'm sure they'll enjoy the agony that we'll face at certain times."

SPARC, CPD grants

The area SPARC organization that provides recreational opportunities for people with disabilities on Friday was awarded a $10,000 community grant by the Ironman Foundation. Sports, Arts, and Recreation of Chattanooga is a division of Disabled USA, and SPARC president Jerry Hightower said in a foundation release that the grant "will be making a difference in the lives of many individuals with disabilities and the volunteers who support them."

Also, in conjunction with the Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation, the Ironman Foundation announced a grant of more than $15,000 to the Chattanooga Police Department to buy a 2015 Polaris Ranger, "which will increase their capability to respond to incidents in areas where traditional vehicles may be blocked," the release said.

Contact Jim Tanner at jftanner@bellsouth.net.

US Olympic team may have just got the bump they needed with the majic man changing weight classes, and Cael Sanderson getting some formidable competition...

Imagine Burroughs, JT and Kyle Snider, but where Dake and Ruth end up?

Watch this...

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/252297-adidas-Interviews/video/794915-David-Taylor-Makes-It-Official?force=1&utm_source=FloWrestling&utm_campaign=701784eb4a-David+Taylor+Makes+It+Official&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6178448e80-701784eb4a-151650673#.Vgr9VBNViko

• 2 weeks later...

Keep working hard and you can get national recognition right here at UTC...

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2015/10/13/310343/Five-Mocs-Listed-In-Preseason-Rankings.aspx

Five Mocs Listed In Preseason Rankings

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

With the start of 2015-16 wrestling competition just a few weeks away, a number of publications are starting to release team and individual rankings for the upcoming season.  The Mocs have five individuals listed in two of the rankings that have been published to date. 

Senior John Lampe and juniors Scottie Boykin, Jared Johnson and Sean Mappes are all in the Greg Henry Wrestling Report DI rankings.  These list a projected top 32 in the country, and do not include incoming freshmen.

Boykin leads the way at No. 15 at 197 while Johnson is No. 20 at heavyweight.  Mappes is No. 26 at 174, followed by Lampe at No. 32 at 184.

Junior Michael Pongracz (149) joins Mappes and Johnson in the Amateur Wrestling News Top 20.  All three are No. 20 in their respective weights. 

"Rankings are fun to look at to start the season, but like in every sport, they don't mean anything this time of year," stated head coach Heath Eslinger.  "We have got a lot of work to do to get ready for a tough schedule, but this does show that we have some potential."

The Mocs open with the Blue & Gold Match on Oct. 29.  The first home dual is Nov. 7 against Stanford I Maclellan Gym.  Click here for a link to the full schedule and here to purchase season tickets.