TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

They need to fire you if you work in a system thats not good enough for you're kids.

It's called having the freedom to what's best for my kids.  They chose to go to a private school, a top 50 academic private school.  You or nobody (other then their mom) has the right to tell me how to raise them.  Why don't you try firing me?

They need to re-classify the TSSAA so that everyone can get a trophy since a certain few on here can have titles given to them and not put in the work and develop their programs.  We need a private school division, an open enrollment division, an urban division, a rural division, a division for schools who've never had a D-1 athlete, a division for schools who've never had a player sign a college scholarship, a division for schools who've never one a district title. etc etc.  When will it end?  i hope the do split so you guys find something else to complain about.  Jeez.

Let's apply your arguement in the opposite direction and start getting rid of classifications shall we?

I mean, the whole A, AA, and AAA only exists to pacify the smaller schools and let them win something.  Get rid of that classification. 

While we are at it, I see no reason to seperate men and womens basketball.  Who needs a bunch of whiny females.  Put 'em all on the court together ok?

Why seperate high school from middle school?  Toughen them kids up. If they are going to a small high school they might as well learn humiliation early because that single A high school they are zoned for is going to get crushed by some AAA team come tourny time.

Your arguement makes no more sense than mine.

Back to what we were doing.

EDIT - Mulitple typos.

Edited by ElderHogEye

Let's apply your arguement in the opposite direction and start getting rid of classifications shall we?

I mean, the whole A, AA, and AAA only exists to pacify the smaller schools and let them win something.  Get rid of that classification. 

While we are at it, I see no reason to seperate men and womens basketball.  Who needs a bunch of whiny females.  Put 'em all on the court together ok?

Why seperate high school from middle school?  Toughen them kids up. If they are going to a small high school they might as well learn humiliation early because that single A high school they are zoned for is going to get crushed by some AAA team come tourny time.

Your arguement makes no more sense than mine.

Back to what we were doing.

EDIT - Mulitple typos.

And while were at it ,put all the big privates back with the publics.

It has nothing to with the athletics that seems to be the focus here.

ummm. its called the tssaa (the two a's stand for ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION). it has EVERYTHING to do with athletics. that's why this site is called COACHT. geesh. get a clue before you post your rubbish.

Qsouth89- I agree you should have the right to do whats best for your kids, but if you are admitting that privates are better than publics then they should play each other and quit playing the downtrodden publics. you make our argument for us. thank you.

everyone does not deserve a trophy, they deserve a fair playing field.

The teams more porerful than Marville are in their own private league. They seperate then from the big schools. Ensworth comes to mind.

When I was growing up in Chicago, this was never an issue.  Sports today, like everything in society is about "getting mine" or being handed something without working for it.  Now grant it I don't know what goes on at other schools, private or public but I do know this, having coached in private and public schools, there are schools doing it the right way and wrong way on both levels.  Guilt is present on both accounts. is right? No, but to always blame one is tiring.  But some people are not happy unless they're complaining and feel the need to blame someone else.  instead of blasting privates because they win in sports, call your school board and ask about budget cuts (that get lower and lower each year.  Ask about these teaching standards that's causing very highly qualified teachers to quit because they are handcuffed from actual teaching not following a rubric, race to the top, or common core.  

If the 5 and 6a public schools were having to compete with the powerhouse privates,the split would have happened long before now.

if there was a private school that had 1200+ enrollment, i beleive they would compete in 5 and 6A.  however, the concept of that many students defeats the small classroom, indiviualized attention that is available at majority of private school.  Plus, there would be the same issue as with public school.  Little Johnny or Sister Suzie is not getting playing time so I will go where he/she will play.

amen!

let the privates go, good riddance. start your own athletic organization go ahead, you wont be able to schedule any tssaa teams to play and fill your schedule. i like the Tennessee public school athletic association. if they don't vote to split the publics should pull out that is where the power lies. there are a lot of private schools yes, but the tssaa cannot allow the public schools to pull out there are way more of them to govern. go to any TSSAA state tournament and you will hear several in the tssaa circle say i would really like to see a public school win this year. It is coming and if not this year, next. we will see if the tssaa is really about fairness and not about the almighty dollar is they step up and do the right thing and split. It simply is not fair to public schools, we scrape and beg for funding for our programs when it is a given for most privates.

How do you think all the home school teams schedule TN teams.  they have their own national league as well as some church schools.  But they are sanctioned through TSSAA to play TSSAA teams but cannot participate in the playoff.

YOUR local government officials decide on what you have to beg and scrape for.  And there are the have and the have-nots in private schools.  the MINORITY of private schools have the colossal building or facitlities. 

Oh, i have a simply not fair scenario.  Why do i have to pay city, county and state taxes to support public schools when my children do not attend public schools?  Now that is not fair.  I do not utilize the school buildings, the gyms or any other public school facility.  You want a split.  How about all the private families stop paying taxes that go towards public schools.

doug s,

you probably don't use the fire trucks, city hall, or the police cars but you still pay for them. I am talking about the struggle to be an elite program not to just be a basic 4-6, 5-5 team. we all know being elite means having a facilty to lift weights buy equipment that helps train. it is your option to go to a private school.

I am probably not in the majority on here, since I go back to before classifications. I would readily vote to eliminate classifications all together. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but the reality is that all you have are people looking to game the system, by building the most powerful team possible, while doing anything on their power to play the weakest opponents they can get away with playing.

I see discussion on here about whether CPA (and I only choose them, since they are currently the most egregious case) has "violated" any rules. Such discussion is really moot, depending on your stage of moral development (see piaget). Whether they are able to evade detection or skate around on technicalities, certainly the CPA model violates the intent of the rules. The classification concept was not conceived with the idea that it would enable a private school to make a business model out of pitting all their sports teams against inferior competition, and declaring that to demonstrate "excellence."

Get rid of classifications, get rid of assigned districts, and go back to the days of self administering conferences. These issues would take care of themselves.

if there was a private school that had 1200+ enrollment, i beleive they would compete in 5 and 6A.  however, the concept of that many students defeats the small classroom, indiviualized attention that is available at majority of private school.  Plus, there would be the same issue as with public school.  Little Johnny or Sister Suzie is not getting playing time so I will go where he/she will play.

How do you think all the home school teams schedule TN teams.  they have their own national league as well as some church schools.  But they are sanctioned through TSSAA to play TSSAA teams but cannot participate in the playoff.

YOUR local government officials decide on what you have to beg and scrape for.  And there are the have and the have-nots in private schools.  the MINORITY of private schools have the colossal building or facitlities. 

Oh, i have a simply not fair scenario.  Why do i have to pay city, county and state taxes to support public schools when my children do not attend public schools?  Now that is not fair.  I do not utilize the school buildings, the gyms or any other public school facility.  You want a split.  How about all the private families stop paying taxes that go towards public schools.

I'm going to make this real simple Doug, small public schools are basically the same,thats who we want to compete with. I don't understand why the private schools wouldn't want to do the same.You tell me whats wrong with that.

The whole purpose of any classification system is to create a level playing field.  Im in favor of a split. If I had it my way I'd classify it like this:

A - 0-500

AA - 501-1000

AAA - 1001 - 1500

AAAA - 1500+

These might not be the best numbers to use... but I don't think it would be hard for someone smarter than me to divide the classifications into an equal number of schools.

I'd then take all the privates and divide them in to A and AA like it is now.  I think that it would make Division II A sports better as well as make the playing field more even for the small publics.