TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

If you are in favor, PLEASE got to TSSAA.org  site and there is a place to send a message. Please let them know of your support to split.

"A split of public and private high schools — regardless of financial aid status — will be proposed Wednesday at the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association's Legislative Council meeting.

The proposal to change Article I, Section 3 of the TSSAA Bylaws has been sponsored by the administrations at Trousdale County and Lewis County, according to the meeting agenda that was distributed Monday.

"Our district in this area is strongly supportive of the proposal, that all the public schools be in one division and all the private schools be in what is called Division II," said Mike Tatum, assistant principal and athletics director at Lewis County and a member of the Legislative Council.

Article I, Section 3 currently reads:

"For tournament competition there shall be two categories. Division I shall be schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level do not receive need-based financial aid. Division II shall be those schools whose student-athletes competing at the varsity level may be the recipients of need-based financial aid."

Trousdale County and Lewis County each have a private school in their district — Goodpasture in District 8-A with Trousdale County and Christ Presbyterian Academy in District 12-AA with Lewis County.

"They have said they felt we didn't have a level playing field," Tatum said of the 30-plus schools that have indicated support of the change. "With public schools, there are so many other variables involved than athletics and academics. There's a whole strata of society.

"They don't serve the same students we do, we feel like. We're isolated in our districts. We can't pull from other areas. We have to maintain our own district, as far as students are concerned."

Clint Satterfield, director of Trousdale County schools, was not available for comment.

TSSAA executive director Bernard Childress said: "We'll address it Wednesday with the Council. We received the proposal in January. Any proposal that is sent to our office a month prior to the meeting, we are required to place on the agenda."

Childress declined to comment further."

Goodpasture in District 8-A with Trousdale County and Christ Presbyterian Academy in District 12-AA with Lewis County.

Am I the only one to find it interesting that there is one common thread (person) associated with these two schools? Maybe we can't fault coach Maddux for building his team the way he has, perhaps it's how he learned the game as a player...

Goodpasture in District 8-A with Trousdale County and Christ Presbyterian Academy in District 12-AA with Lewis County.

Am I the only one to find it interesting that there is one common thread (person) associated with these two schools? Maybe we can't fault coach Maddux for building his team the way he has, perhaps it's how he learned the game as a player...

I was certainly not involved in basketball in Middle Tennessee at the time that Coach Maddux was at Goodpasture- back in the early 90's- but my understanding has always been that the "architect" of that basketball team (which included Ron Mercer and Sam Howard) was Coach Maddux's dad- so I suspect that this may be a learned behavior.  Perhaps some people who did have involvement back in the 90's would like to weigh in????

People are always saying TSSAA is about money. If so, after the state tournaments, then have the 2 divisions of private schools have a 2 team playoff. Then take the winner and put them with  A, AA and AAA state champions and have the 4 playoff for a superchampionship. You'd still have a state championship for each level plus one team could claim to be champion of champions.

If they split(they're not) then the private schools will pull out of TSSAA and form their own organization. If that happens lots of dollars will leave the TSSAA therefore it won't happen because unfortunately the almighty dollar rules TSSAA. Very unfortunate that a few privates give the majority of the privates a black eye. I have no idea what has gone on or what is going on at CPA. I will say that it is very interesting that one school can have as many D1 Basketball players as CPA. It maybe legit but I know it's not the norm. If there is anything noncompliant going on then the TSSAA needs to do their job and audit them. If not, then let it be. Eventually the talent cycle will go down at CPA and nobody will be complaining.

If they split(they're not) then the private schools will pull out of TSSAA and form their own organization. If that happens lots of dollars will leave the TSSAA therefore it won't happen because unfortunately the almighty dollar rules TSSAA. Very unfortunate that a few privates give the majority of the privates a black eye. I have no idea what has gone on or what is going on at CPA. I will say that it is very interesting that one school can have as many D1 Basketball players as CPA. It maybe legit but I know it's not the norm. If there is anything noncompliant going on then the TSSAA needs to do their job and audit them. If not, then let it be. Eventually the talent cycle will go down at CPA and nobody will be complaining.

Agree with T$$AA it's all about the money. Also agree a few privates are giving all a black eye.

The T$$AA should audit all privates extensively if they are playing Division I. And be prepared to hand out stiff penalties when schools are circumventing the rules. But this would cost money and the T$$AA doesn't want to spend nor do they want to challenge the deep pockets associated with private schools.

Eventually there will be a major shake up with T$$AA. What if publics decided to pull out. Love to see T$$AA grow some and do the right thing. Right now privates are holding them hostage.

Hope there is a split but the last time it was brought up, over 75% wanted a split and TSSAA claimed there was not enough support. TSSAA is suppose to represent the schools, not themselves. Maybe public schools should drop out and let the TSSAA take care of only the privates. How about T PSA (TN.Public School Association)?