TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

doug s,

you probably don't use the fire trucks, city hall, or the police cars but you still pay for them. I am talking about the struggle to be an elite program not to just be a basic 4-6, 5-5 team. we all know being elite means having a facilty to lift weights buy equipment that helps train. it is your option to go to a private school.

Actually i have used the police, fire trucks, city hall , library, city water, city garbage...  I have no issues paying taxes for them.  That is what city and county taxes are for.  Just like paying for schools. I will pay them because I know that is what is best for the community.  It has nothing to do with being fair. 

Just like this conversation. Fair or not is besides the point.  Is it the best for the community of Athletics, a good possibility..

The whole purpose of any classification system is to create a level playing field.  Im in favor of a split. If I had it my way I'd classify it like this:

A - 0-500

AA - 501-1000

AAA - 1001 - 1500

AAAA - 1500+

These might not be the best numbers to use... but I don't think it would be hard for someone smarter than me to divide the classifications into an equal number of schools.

I'd then take all the privates and divide them in to A and AA like it is now.  I think that it would make Division II A sports better as well as make the playing field more even for the small publics. 

This is the plan I support! Of course I have no voice in the matter.

I'm going to make this real simple Doug, small public schools are basically the same,thats who we want to compete with. I don't understand why the private schools wouldn't want to do the same.You tell me whats wrong with that.

I would not mind playing in a district / region that has schools with the same amount of students.  there are enough small privates D2-A in memphis and we do play each other.  D2-AA there are only 6.  2 of them are Girls only and 2 are Boys only. 

I think it has to do with actual competition in the game.  I think fans, athletes, boosters want to play teams that give them competition.  And they feel that playing against other private schools their size does nto give them the competition they are looking for.

Let's apply your arguement in the opposite direction and start getting rid of classifications shall we?

I mean, the whole A, AA, and AAA only exists to pacify the smaller schools and let them win something.  Get rid of that classification. 

While we are at it, I see no reason to seperate men and womens basketball.  Who needs a bunch of whiny females.  Put 'em all on the court together ok?

Why seperate high school from middle school?  Toughen them kids up. If they are going to a small high school they might as well learn humiliation early because that single A high school they are zoned for is going to get crushed by some AAA team come tourny time.

Your arguement makes no more sense than mine.

Back to what we were doing.

EDIT - Mulitple typos.

I was being facetious, but what you wrote is funny.  I see your point and I believe there will be a split.  It's for the best.

Edited by QSouth89

It's called having the freedom to what's best for my kids.  They chose to go to a private school, a top 50 academic private school.  You or nobody (other then their mom) has the right to tell me how to raise them.  Why don't you try firing me?

Walla, you're fired.lol

LOL!!!!!

Not a clue Pujo! Their arguments never hold water and they always want to fall back on, "the only ones crying are the losers"...NO WAY could they look at the truths of the situation and honestly make such comments... JEEEZZZZZ

ummm. its called the tssaa (the two a's stand for ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION). it has EVERYTHING to do with athletics. that's why this site is called COACHT. geesh. get a clue before you post your rubbish.

Qsouth89- I agree you should have the right to do whats best for your kids, but if you are admitting that privates are better than publics then they should play each other and quit playing the downtrodden publics. you make our argument for us. thank you.

everyone does not deserve a trophy, they deserve a fair playing field.It

It's not about athletics, it's about the have's and the have not's.  The only argument is recruiting and facilities.  Nothing to do with athletics.  Like a poster said on another thread it's all about economics.  I gave my kids the choice and they chose to go that route.  There are some great schools, public and private.  Some do it the right way some do it the wrong way.  I've said all along that there should be a split.  Doesn't matter to me.  But be honest there are posters on coacht that bash the privates and it's their opinion.  I'm saying that it goes both ways.  in the end I have to agree its about a even or level playing field.  I didn't realize how strong and touchy an issue this is. But in the end I'm sure there will be a split and its been a long time coming.

Edited by QSouth89

WRONG! Its about ATHLETICS! Comments like "Crying" and "wanting a trophy for nothing" is so far off base that it shows just how disconnected you and yours really are....UNREAL!

Hey, you should bring yourself to a workout at Hampton or TD County and witness what a HARD workout and what sacrifice really is amongst "homeboys"...Get a clue what 11 to 15 young men go through on BOTH sides of the ball because there's not enough avail talent to play 22 or more players

WRONG! Its about ATHLETICS! Comments like "Crying" and "wanting a trophy for nothing" is so far off base that it shows just how disconnected you and yours really are....UNREAL!

Hey, you should bring yourself to a workout at Hampton or TD County and witness what a HARD workout and what sacrifice really is amongst "homeboys"...Get a clue what 11 to 15 young men go through on BOTH sides of the ball because there's not enough avail talent to play 22 or more players

Uknoit, Uknoit

Qsouth89- I agree you should have the right to do whats best for your kids, but if you are admitting that privates are better than publics then they should play each other and quit playing the downtrodden publics. you make our argument for us. thank you.

everyone does not deserve a trophy, they deserve a fair playing field.

I do not think Q was referring to athletics as privates are better.  I am pretty sure he was speaking to the academics.  And in academics, private schools are generally higher in academics than public schools.

there is never a fair playing field in athletics. 

if there was a private school that had 1200+ enrollment, i beleive they would compete in 5 and 6A.  however, the concept of that many students defeats the small classroom, indiviualized attention that is available at majority of private school.  Plus, there would be the same issue as with public school.  Little Johnny or Sister Suzie is not getting playing time so I will go where he/she will play.

How do you think all the home school teams schedule TN teams.  they have their own national league as well as some church schools.  But they are sanctioned through TSSAA to play TSSAA teams but cannot participate in the playoff.

YOUR local government officials decide on what you have to beg and scrape for.  And there are the have and the have-nots in private schools.  the MINORITY of private schools have the colossal building or facitlities. 

Oh, i have a simply not fair scenario.  Why do i have to pay city, county and state taxes to support public schools when my children do not attend public schools?  Now that is not fair.  I do not utilize the school buildings, the gyms or any other public school facility.  You want a split.  How about all the private families stop paying taxes that go towards public schools.

Same reasons my monies go to pave the roads you travel on but i'll never see....What a attitude...You probably work for me!!! Or at least the business I do may well keep you a-float and able to pay your "private school" dues!

I'm going to make this real simple Doug, small public schools are basically the same,thats who we want to compete with. I don't understand why the private schools wouldn't want to do the same.You tell me whats wrong with that.

Whats so hard to understand about that! Especially come tournament time??!!

To me it seems everyone has there own agenda when it comes to getting rid of private schools in D1. Lets face it, that is what this is currently about right now. This has been going on for years. Ya, you hear rumblings about open zone, but don't kid yourself, private schools are on the block.   I agree with what some posters put on here as far as to some of the benefits private schools over public schools. I'm actually hoping this goes through and we go to D2. The competition in D2 will be great, and that will attract more athletes, especially if we can offer financial assistance legally.  That seems like a plus to me.

So once the private schools are gone (Come on TSSAA!) will it be fair? Whats next, are all the closed zone public schools going to start another petition to get open zone schools into there own division? I guess I'm just kind of confused because once we are gone, it will still be unfair. At least we won't be the punching bags any longer.  :popcorneater:

Im done with this argument...There's no money nor fun in it...This reminds me of the business I'm in....I bid multi-million-dollar jobs all the time...At times, my competition bids these jobs at cost or below just to hurt smaller businesses...Now it may not be fair but that's business...STUPID, but business...We're talking the same situation here except school age kids and sports are involved!!!! No real sense can be made of that IMO