TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

so why couldn't they tax ever resident in the county(including cities) at the same rate. Then pay each school the same rate per student based on enrollment. Let each high school decide where that money goes as far as Education or Athelics wise.

We pay extra in the city ( city and county taxes-double) so we can have more money for city schools. County residents don't want to pay more so The county wants to divide their portion with more to the county only schools. The county residents, by and large, don't want to pay more for the schools.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We pay extra in the city ( city and county taxes-double) so we can have more money for city schools. County residents don't want to pay more so The county wants to divide their portion with more to the county only schools. The county residents, by and large, don't want to pay more for the schools.

so if the county raises their tax, the cities won't be able to afford the "extra taxes" that they use for their schools? What I still don't get is why every school in county can't get the same amount per student. Pool it all into the same fund a hand it out equally? I know why some schools wouldn't like this, but seems the most equal way to do it.

so if the county raises their tax, the cities won't be able to afford the "extra taxes" that they use for their schools? What I still don't get is why every school in county can't get the same amount per student. Pool it all into the same fund a hand it out equally? I know why some schools wouldn't like this, but seems the most equal way to do it.

UCM hits purtee durn simpull...Tha cowntee Souperintindint wants tha citty residints two hep pay fer sumthin (which we allreddy do)...Butt knott two shair equally wif tha citty skools and tacks payers......Thay ain't wontin two raise tacksus, jist taik frum moore frum tha citty and knott give tham ennythang...   :angry:

Why shood tha citty rezidints pay twice tha tacksus (citty and cowntee) and tha cowntee git tha saim bennyfits fer thair kids and pay onlee haif tha tacksus....???

A big chunk ov tha cowntee folks don't want two pony upp a littull moore, much less twice, like tha citty kitties do..... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

UCM hits purtee durn simpull...Tha cowntee Souperintindint wants tha citty residints two hep pay fer sumthin (which we allreddy do)...Butt knott two shair equally wif tha citty skools and tacks payers......Thay ain't wontin two raise tacksus, jist taik frum moore frum tha citty and knott give tham ennythang... :angry:

Why shood tha citty rezidints pay twice tha tacksus (citty and cowntee) and tha cowntee git tha saim bennyfits fer thair kids and pay onlee haif tha tacksus....???

A big chunk ov tha cowntee folks don't want two pony upp a littull moore, much less twice, like tha citty kitties do..... :popcorneater:

In Soviet Alnwick taxes pay you.

If you really want a "war", pool city and county monies and let the two separate entities decide how to split it. Never will any city/county joint fund exist...mark it down. Cities offer services unavailable to county residents, and those have cost...for educational purposes only, your proposal makes sense, but separating tax revenue percentages for education vs. those other "perks" (police,fire,garbage,ect...) would be impossible. I have no solution, but for the record, I see the point being made now. If I had a suggestion, it would be to check with other municipalities in order to understand how it's done elsewhere...this can't be a unique situation.

For what it's worth, in Henderson County the county system is allotted a budget, of which the city (of Lexington) receives a preset percentage...one substantially larger than the "same money per student" model some are suggesting.

If you really want a "war", pool city and county monies and let the two separate entities decide how to split it. Never will any city/county joint fund exist...mark it down. Cities offer services unavailable to county residents, and those have cost...for educational purposes only, your proposal makes sense, but separating tax revenue percentages for education vs. those other "perks" (police,fire,garbage,ect...) would be impossible. I have no solution, but for the record, I see the point being made now. If I had a suggestion, it would be to check with other municipalities in order to understand how it's done elsewhere...this can't be a unique situation.

For what it's worth, in Henderson County the county system is allotted a budget, of which the city (of Lexington) receives a preset percentage...one substantially larger than the "same money per student" model some are suggesting.

The bottom line is that the county needs more money for the county schools.  The county commission doesn't want to raise property taxes, so changing how the county tax dollars are split with the cities is a way of getting more money to the county schools.  If commission members raised county property taxes, they'd probably have a hard time getting reelected.  Ultimately, a greater share of the county property taxes goes to those county students who go to county schools than to those county students who go to city schools.  Both sets of such students' parents pay the same property tax rates, but their children receive different shares of the revenue.  City residents choose, through their elected officials, to pay extra property tax (city property taxes) to fund more money to the schools (and other services you have named). 

Edited by OldRebel2

Couple of easy solutions IMO. Why do school systems pay for sports and other non academic activities? It seems like the city folks that are unhappy should move to the county.

wb85 lett me innerjeck hear.....

1. We waint two pay our citty teechurs moore munny thain tha cownty teechurs

b. We want two bild a knew basebawl feeled

3. We want two maik shore Bondo Teck stays opun

d. We wont two haiv brick tickitt boufs

5. We allreddy live inn tha cowntee and pay cowntee tacksus

Beesides us citty kitties want two bee good nabors, unlike Julius Britt.....Eye reemimburr one year we hosted tha jamboree on GQ's rugg two keap tha cowntee skools frum tearin' thair feeled upp after a big rane...... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

wb85 lett me innerjeck hear.....

1. We waint two pay our citty teechurs moore munny thain tha cownty teechurs

b. We want two bild a knew basebawl feeled

3. We want two maik shore Bondo Teck stays opun

d. We wont two haiv brick tickitt boufs

5. We allreddy live inn tha cowntee and pay cowntee tacks-us

Beesides us citty kitties want two bee good nabors, unlike Julius Britt.....Eye reemimburr one year we hosted tha jamboree on GQ's rugg two keap tha cowntee skools frum tearin' thair feeled upp after a big rane...... :popcorneater:

All excellent points but, paying teachers more doesn't mean they are better teachers. I'm sure we can agree so I don't have to bring up a couple of examples like the one that lives in my house and the other that stays in my boat. Remember you can afford to pay those teachers more because they are no baseball fields any where to keep up. The one that is supposed to come is losing pieces everyday (stands, change house team room, brick ticket booth all gone, with the infield turf on life support). I hear the revo helmets are working well in spring practice though. Anyway I see your point. Well I got to go get something to eat. Are there any restaurants left in the county that the city and their higher taxes haven't annexed? Never mind I'm going to the greenback corner to see Fuzz. Lol

All excellent points but, paying teachers more doesn't mean they are better teachers. I'm sure we can agree so I don't have to bring up a couple of examples like the one that lives in my house and the other that stays in my boat. Remember you can afford to pay those teachers more because they are no baseball fields any where to keep up. The one that is supposed to come is losing pieces everyday (stands, change house team room, brick ticket booth all gone, with the infield turf on life support). I hear the revo helmets are working well in spring practice though. Anyway I see your point. Well I got to go get something to eat. Are there any restaurants left in the county that the city and their higher taxes haven't annexed? Never mind I'm going to the greenback corner to see Fuzz. Lol

Eye wood wurry moore abowt thait one inn tha boat..... :thumb:

If'un we cain keap Julius Britt frum stealin' maybe cain add sum ov tham thangs baick on tha basebawl feeled.......

Moore citty property tacks....Meens moore fer Britt two steal.....

Hitt mite bee cheaper two eat att Fuzz's orr Giles......Butt eye know Fuzz weal git chee on tham hi gas prices.....Gotta pay fer tha Cherokeys knew hi-teck helmints wif cuncusshun gauges in 'em...... :roflol:

Edited by STARSNBARS