2014 Class 3A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

The teams from 77-79 must have been really solid.  I think, I remember the 89 team.  Would it have had Shannon Mitchell, Billy Williams and that crew on it? If so that was the best Alcoa team I can remember but for some reason I was thinking that was in 91.  

My whole point was to prove credit for the 2 basketball titles.  It's so hard to win it in basketball not only with 3 classes but because Memphis is so good in basketball.  Winning those two are equal to about 10 football titles.  Alcoa has been such a great place in East Tennessee athletics.

I wish football would go back to 3 classifications or max of 4.  The playoffs last year with Fulton, Catholic and Alcoa would've been a lot of fun to watch.  

Not many people talk that much about Alcoa's State Champions from 77,78,79. I was there and those were some good teams with quality players.Alcoa was single A in a 3 class sysiem. Alcoa was a really small school then with about 350 or less kids 9-12 grades.I believe the '77 team were just soph to senior.I was at Alcoa Junior High then and it was 7th,8th,and 9th grade.We all went to the high school when I was in the 8th grade when they did the first remodel and I never went back.They went from being a Jr High to being a middle school.I think my freshman year was the first year that they let freshman dress and some got to play. Such as Todd "big Up" Upton and Mitch Love.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give the 3a title to Alcoa just yet, CPA learned a lot about what it takes in the title game last year and look for them to take the next step this year. Ingle has improved this program every year since he arrived. Only one more game to win this year and then look for CPA to have a long run of championships in football.

If anyone can out recruit Alcoa it would be CPA....

Jost is a solid RB, not quite on the level of Rathbone, but not far behind. Jost is a little quicker, catches the ball well, maybe needs to work on pass blocking some... But CAKe will improve as the season goes on, but can't afford to get anyone hurt.

I haven't seen Pope play, but by most accounts he will be a very nice addition to the Warriors passing game.  Depth is always an issue for us, and this year is no different.  I would take Alcoa Roundball's prediction of 10-3 and be very happy with that this year, but I think that is unlikely.  Like APB, I do believe our cupcakes will improve as the season goes along, but it will be a work in progress.

Who did CPA bring in this year for football?

It's funny how when a school decides to go on a new direction in terms of football coaching and looses less games in the last three years than the previous staff lost in their last year, now CPA recruits. The class which just graduated was made up of mostly kids who had been there since grade school. Going forward CPA will draw football players because of the coaching and development, no recruiting needed. CPA gets kids who excel on the football field and classroom as well.

It's funny how when a school decides to go on a new direction in terms of football coaching and looses less games in the last three years than the previous staff lost in their last year, now CPA recruits. The class which just graduated was made up of mostly kids who had been there since grade school. Going forward CPA will draw football players because of the coaching and development, no recruiting needed. CPA gets kids who excel on the football field and classroom as well.

Correct! I wish more fans just played along like you and didn't take it too seriously (we'll mention no names). Unlike the rest of 3A, instead of whining about Alcoa being good "because they recruit," CAKe (couldn't resist) just got better. The Warriors play a BRUTAL schedule this year, but they should be fine.

My bold prediction for the Warriors: 10-3, losses to Alcoa and one other team on their schedule. Pope will be a good addition to WR. And they also have 2 good RBs according to what Rusty Bradley said today.

You won't hear any Milan fans crying. Much respect to Alcoa. Don't care how the players on the field get there, we just gonna line up and play ya. May the best man win.

Yup...Pecker err...Packer and Smiffy did everything they could to build up a KIL team to top Murvil and Alcoee.

But when the rubber met the road, rare was the time that they looked competent.

...not to mention that Pack-Man is just plain unlistenable. 

Just nails on the chalkboard bad.

Those guys along with other Knoxville media members want a Knoxville team to drill Maryville and Alcoa.

Not a lot..............ANY talk out of the CPA camp this season?

They where talking big smack by this time last year?  :popcorneater:

Wrong. This time last year there was a thread started about the 3A Top 10 preseason poll. CPA was not even listed in the Top 10. Some people questioned it, including me. Those people turned out to be right as CPA was the 2nd best team in the state at year end. No CPA fan talked smack, and you cannot find a post where they did. Here are 2 posts from that thread last August.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

If you would have seen how Pearl Cohn shut Cpa down the other day in the scrimmage you would be worried...It shocked me! CPA has a LONG way to go

I replied: Doesn't shock me that much. They return only a few starters and last year's senior class was one of the best in years - not only talent but leadership. Plus with Parker Howell out with injuries for a while their defensive line is really affected. Did Nichols play? If not, that is a big hole as well.

Edited by sportsnerd