District 4AA 2014-15

QSouth89

What jumped out at me was the point guard position for both teams. Not a strength of Alcoa to be polite. Huge strength for us. I couldn't ever figure out what they were trying to accomplish with the offense and it seemed like there was no real plan to get the ball into #23. Luke Smith, who was obviously the best player on the court, dominated Alcoa's point guard and also ran the offense to perfection. The Alcoa PG jumped a round a lot on defense but was constantly leaving his feet, getting crossed up and getting burned going to the hole. Not sure how to explain it but it was almost like he was trying to look like he was playing good D without knowing how to play good D. Also, threw some really questionable passes.

There are ways to hide a weak PG and I am sure they will figure that out before the season ends. If not, get ready for a long year. AlcoaBasketball, do they ever try to get 23 more involved with the offense? I would think he would be involved on every play but they would go several minutes and he would never touch the ball. I would focus my offense around him because that is the only player that stood out to me. 

What jumped out at me was the point guard position for both teams. Not a strength of Alcoa to be polite. Huge strength for us. I couldn't ever figure out what they were trying to accomplish with the offense and it seemed like there was no real plan to get the ball into #23. Luke Smith, who was obviously the best player on the court, dominated Alcoa's point guard and also ran the offense to perfection. The Alcoa PG jumped a round a lot on defense but was constantly leaving his feet, getting crossed up and getting burned going to the hole. Not sure how to explain it but it was almost like he was trying to look like he was playing good D without knowing how to play good D. Also, threw some really questionable passes.

There are ways to hide a weak PG and I am sure they will figure that out before the season ends. If not, get ready for a long year. AlcoaBasketball, do they ever try to get 23 more involved with the offense? I would think he would be involved on every play but they would go several minutes and he would never touch the ball. I would focus my offense around him because that is the only player that stood out to me.

No offense taken, bruh. I'm always willing to talk about the game, especially a game that I attended.

In all honesty, I'm very surprised we didn't try to penetrate more and get the ball to Teeter, but in addition to the Irish having a good strategy to try and make him a non-factor, I think Alcoa just hit the "panic" button and never recovered. We just looked lost from what I saw.

Our point guard (#12) is a sophomore and this is his first year playing varsity, so I'm sure he's still adjusting. We're a sophomore-heavy team.

Our schedule doesn't get any easier either.

I thought they really tried to get it to Teeter but I thought Jancek did a very good job denying the post entry plus our guards really pressured the ball to prevent easy passes into the post. We play pretty good help side defense (at times) to negate post play.

No offense taken, bruh. I'm always willing to talk about the game, especially a game that I attended.

In all honesty, I'm very surprised we didn't try to penetrate more and get the ball to Teeter, but in addition to the Irish having a good strategy to try and make him a non-factor, I think Alcoa just hit the "panic" button and never recovered. We just looked lost from what I saw.

Our point guard (#12) is a sophomore and this is his first year playing varsity, so I'm sure he's still adjusting. We're a sophomore-heavy team.

Our schedule doesn't get any easier either.

Catholic is sophomore heavy too, The Irish started 4 10th graders. Luke Smith only played in 13 games last year before breaking his foot so most of his experience is coming this year. One thing I was curious about is why are Alcoa's varsity starters playing jv? Makes for tired legs. Edited by QSouth89

Catholic is sophomore heavy too, The Irish started 4 10th graders. Luke Smith only played in 13 games last year before breaking his foot so most of his experience is coming this year. One thing I was curious about is why are Alcoa's varsity starters playing jv? Makes for tired legs.

Honestly, I don't have an answer for that, but yes, fatigue is definitely a factor in that situation, so it is questionable as to why.

The biggest difference in Alcoa's sophomores and Catholic's sophomores is that Catholic's sophomores actually got a lot of playing time as freshmen, so the experience was a factor.

Catholic is sophomore heavy too, The Irish started 4 10th graders. Luke Smith only played in 13 games last year before breaking his foot so most of his experience is coming this year. One thing I was curious about is why are Alcoa's varsity starters playing jv? Makes for tired legs.

I wondered the same thing about the varsity starters and contributors playing JV. You usually see coaches using JV as a way to get game experience for the younger kids so they can build for the future. Most coaches don't seem concerned about JV results but only player development. Found that real odd. Sure wouldn't do that on the nights the varsity plays too.

Alcoa falls at Webb 66-47. Competed early, but couldn't hold up down the stretch.

Next up, a big home game: CAK.

That should be an interesting game.  CAK played their first district game on Tuesday.  They should have made a bylaw that all district games be played in January lol.