8AA 2014 Predictions

BaxterBiRite1996

Guest AllBlue

I haven't heard anything. I was at the game. He went down first few minutes of game going for a layup. I am speculating a knee to the thigh or something with his knee but I have no idea. I'm just guessing based on the play. He came out in street clothes the second half and looked to have his upper leg iced. LA went on to beat UH 50-47 but they obviously need him down the stretch.

I have learned to never count the Tigers out. Coach Martin seems to have lightning in a bottle sometimes!

Well no lightning in the bottle for Coach Martin and DC tonight. How about Central Magnet though?  Big congrats to them on their first district 8AA win, EVER! With as big of a population Rutherford County has, you would think CM would be able to attract some decent talent and eventually get things turned around for the good. I'm not sure what the problem is up there, but they have been awful since they started playing varsity basketball in 2011-2012. I can understand struggling mightily in the first two seasons, but they haven't showed much sign of improvement. They have gone 10-94 since their first season. All it would take is one really good player to have them competitive most nights. Does anyone have any opinions or knowledge as to why they are still so bad? Is it simply because it's still a young program or what? Their baseball and women's basketball are good, so I just don't really understand why they're still struggling so bad.

Hello everyone, first time poster long time browser. Congrats to Central Magnet for their first district win against York in overtime (I'm not from Central). Does anyone know the standings as of tonight?

1.Cannon one loss

2. LA, Macon, York tied 2 losses

5. Upperman 4 losses

6. Dekalb 5 losses

7. Smith Co 5 losses

8. Central 6 losses

Edited by oldkodger

DC came in prepared and played hard but the turnovers did them in. could almost quantify every turnover as a 4 point swing to CC's advantage. we lost points with every turnover and CC got easy buckets on the other end. overall, it was a win in that we continue to improve. DC isnt going to climb to the top of the food chain overnight. its an incremental process. you can see were the coaches have done a good job working with the boys, building them up and making the right adjustments. lost to the best / most athletic team we've played to date. the boys kept fighting and played hard to the end which is what we've grown to expect from this team. #progress

DC came in prepared and played hard but the turnovers did them in. could almost quantify every turnover as a 4 point swing to CC's advantage. we lost points with every turnover and CC got easy buckets on the other end. overall, it was a win in that we continue to improve. DC isnt going to climb to the top of the food chain overnight. its an incremental process. you can see were the coaches have done a good job working with the boys, building them up and making the right adjustments. lost to the best / most athletic team we've played to date. the boys kept fighting and played hard to the end which is what we've grown to expect from this team. #progress

I haven't caught any games in person, so I'm just asking you or any other unbiased person that wants to answer me. By unbiased I mean anyone that's not a CC or LA fan. Anyways, it is safe to assume that your opinion is that CC has the best and most athletic team in 8aa, correct? If so, besides of beating LA head to head, in your eyes what makes them better than LA? We have seen LA lose once, and sometimes even twice to the same district opponent during the regular season, but more times than not it doesn't happen again in the district/region tournament. Do you believe CC will win the district tournament? What is CC's strengths? Are they a big team with a lot of size? Do they pound it down low to the post and get a lot of paint points? Are they a mid-range jump shooting team? Maybe they're predominantly a 3 point shooting team?

Edited by DCTIGERFAN

CC has a post player as well who is really good in Martin. He's less experienced than Eldridge and doesn't do quite as much all over the floor like Wade, but is a really good player and great defender.

Reuhlan (I'm sure I misspelled that) is their go to player but just about every player I saw go in tonight could score if needed. In seeing both, I would say that Cannon is slightly better, but it's like Kodger said, until someone bucks the trend, LA owns 8-AA in the postseason. Yes, UHS may have gone farther last season but LA does it on a more regular basis.

Now, I haven't heard anything else on Eldridge's injury though. That would be a huge loss after losing Hollars and Linder.

All this being said, this district is turning out to be really balanced from top to bottom this season so we could see some more crazy upsets before it's over.

CC has a post player as well who is really good in Martin. He's less experienced than Eldridge and doesn't do quite as much all over the floor like Wade, but is a really good player and great defender.

Reuhlan (I'm sure I misspelled that) is their go to player but just about every player I saw go in tonight could score if needed. In seeing both, I would say that Cannon is slightly better, but it's like Kodger said, until someone bucks the trend, LA owns 8-AA in the postseason. Yes, UHS may have gone farther last season but LA does it on a more regular basis.

Now, I haven't heard anything else on Eldridge's injury though. That would be a huge loss after losing Hollars and Linder.

All this being said, this district is turning out to be really balanced from top to bottom this season so we could see some more crazy upsets before it's over.

I agree 100% CC has all around ability but it seems they can't put teams away. I was told they were up on LA by 18 at one point and that game went into overtime. They were also up on UHS by quite a few but UHS hung around.