William Blount @ Morristown East

Governm

Completely understand Jake. If this play is setup off the screen I am going to assume that the slot would be "faking" a stalk block on the corner then releasing up the sideline. I was thinking more along the lines of a slant/wheel combo. Yes I agree, probably would have helped set it up by running the screen a couple of times.

Yes....slot was faking block and releasing, and with the room, everything just got so conglomerated, that when the receiver did break out of the pack, QB put it up to him and I don't think he even saw the safety.

Jake, of course we just get to see things one time in the press box, in real time, but my memory tells me that it seemed like we might have rushed the throw on the play in question.  Of course, I could be "misremembering" but from watching film, is there a chance that if qb delays throw by a second or so, that the play works?  Or was the db laying back waiting on it no matter what?

I will say this, that pass has normally got some touch on it, and the QB put some air under it and it was an easy pick for the safety, but if he would have put some zip on the ball, the safety probably would not have had time to get the int, it would have had a lot better chance to be completed.

QB's will have to be careful this week....MoEast has some athletes back there playing DB's and safety, they are very quick....our receivers will have to run very precise routes to get open against those guys and if they don't it will make the QB have to throw to a very small window.

Offense moved the ball...I didn't see final numbers, but I know they had near 300 yards passing and would have to guess at least 75-80 yards rushing (if not a little more). We were moving the ball pretty well just before half, but had to settle for a field goal because of time. Mistakes killed us in the 2nd half, drove the ball down their throat to the ten yard line, and then call a wheel route to the short side of the field from the 10 and throw int in the end zone....then we gave up another possession on the muffed punt. I understand mistakes have to be alleviated, but after watching the tape twice, it is not as if Loudon D stonewalled us, we moved the ball at will....play calling and mistakes are what stopped us.

The defense did look better in the second half, but after we turned it over and they kicked field goal to go up 31-13, their play calling got a lot more conservative, looked like their coach was smart and just wanted to keep the clock running.....they really never attempted to get outside much after that, it was pretty much off tackle right and off tackle left.

No doubt the outcome was not based on the play of the athletes, at least the majority of them anyway. Edited by goldblooded23

I'll have to do some checking up and really see how Alcoa did with them Saturday night before I make a decision on this one but this should be a good game. I think if Blount loses this one the season might be a very tough one.

I have watched the tape, and my opinion was that the first half of that game was a lot closer than the score....I would be interested in getting the opinion of one of the Alcoa diehards that was at the game. MoEast looked pretty good to me, with two very good athletes at QB and RB. They had a couple of costly turnovers and after they fell behind and Alcoa did some adjusting, they kind of lost a lot of their fight....no doubt, it will take WB's best effort to get the win on Friday.

Was I the only one concerned by the lack (or what seemed like) of any big plays by our offense?

I personally am not concerned with that....we had a couple of pass plays that were over 25 yards....the fact is, they had two good athletes playing the two deep safety spots, and the deep ball was not there for most of the game. I think a lot of that was the way the game played out, they were ahead the whole game, and we showed no signs for the most part of being able to stop them, so they were content to make us complete the shorter routes and force us to drive the ball. If they had been behind, they may have had to come up and try to stop some of the shorter routes, making it possible to go over their head. I would rather see a QB take what is open as opposed to throwing into coverage and double coverage.

I would rather see a QB take what is open as opposed to throwing into coverage and double coverage.

Good point. But I kind of felt like we should have been able to turn some short passes and running plays into big ones, especially as the game went on and they got tired. On that first drive it looked like tipton was going to run it in for a TD but he got tripped up from behind. I guess it just wasn't our night.