William Blount @ Morristown East

Governm

Yeah. I would like to think that he would step down as head coach if he can't get it done and try to find someone who can. But there's still alot of football left to be played this season and we can still bounce back and have a good year.

William Blounts culture of losing started long before Ridge took over. To be fair he will need 3-4 full years to turn this around. After 4 if there is no improvement a change may be in order. Premature to do it before.

Dont panic yet.  Nobody would have their panties in a bunch if the adjustments were made a quarter and a half earlier on Friday night.  Ridge saw that changes needed to be made, and they were.  The giant hole in the defense disappeared after halftime, but should have went away after the first drive.  Everybody is screaming defense, but the offense couldnt put up points on a tired, cramping, less talented team either. 

Afraid WB will have to step their game up tremendously to be successful in this one. The Loudon game was very disappointing to say the least. I had WB at 3 wins for the season.....moved it to 4 after they THUMPED Maryville in the Jamboree. I am not back to 3 and if they do not significantly improve, that may be a reach. The good news for Cardinal fans is that I seldom correctly pick a WB game.

Dont panic yet.  Nobody would have their panties in a bunch if the adjustments were made a quarter and a half earlier on Friday night.  Ridge saw that changes needed to be made, and they were.  The giant hole in the defense disappeared after halftime, but should have went away after the first drive.  Everybody is screaming defense, but the offense couldnt put up points on a tired, cramping, less talented team either. 

Offense moved the ball...I didn't see final numbers, but I know they had near 300 yards passing and would have to guess at least 75-80 yards rushing (if not a little more).  We were moving the ball pretty well just before half, but had to settle for a field goal because of time.  Mistakes killed us in the 2nd half, drove the ball down their throat to the ten yard line, and then call a wheel route to the short side of the field from the 10 and throw int in the end zone....then we gave up another possession on the muffed punt.  I understand mistakes have to be alleviated, but after watching the tape twice, it is not as if Loudon D stonewalled us, we moved the ball at will....play calling and mistakes are what stopped us.

The defense did look better in the second half, but after we turned it over and they kicked field goal to go up 31-13, their play calling got a lot more conservative, looked like their coach was smart and just wanted to keep the clock running.....they really never attempted to get outside much after that, it was pretty much off tackle right and off tackle left.

Edited by jake

Offense moved the ball...I didn't see final numbers, but I know they had near 300 yards passing and would have to guess at least 75-80 yards rushing (if not a little more). We were moving the ball pretty well just before half, but had to settle for a field goal because of time. Mistakes killed us in the 2nd half, drove the ball down their throat to the ten yard line, and then call a wheel route to the short side of the field from the 10 and throw int in the end zone....then we gave up another possession on the muffed punt. I understand mistakes have to be alleviated, but after watching the tape twice, it is not as if Loudon D stonewalled us, we moved the ball at will....play calling and mistakes are what stopped us.

I'm assuming that the wheel route from the 10 to the short side is one of the plays that in your mind is questionable. If that play results in a touchdown do you question it? Serious question. Not saying that you can't question play calling but it is the heat of the moment.

I'm assuming that the wheel route from the 10 to the short side is one of the plays that in your mind is questionable. If that play results in a touchdown do you question it? Serious question. Not saying that you can't question play calling but it is the heat of the moment.

That play is one where they fake a little screen to the wide guy and the slot runs a little wheel route up field.....two problems,  #1 they were faking a screen that they had not run in this game, if they had run it and completed it two or three times, then this play may have been more effective, #2 when you are on the 10 yard line the defense has to play tighter than if in the middle of the field, when you watch the play, with the defense tightened, the wide out running his pattern and the slot trying to slip out in a pattern to the outside, and add to that the fact that it was to the short side of the field, everything just ended up being a big clutter with no room for the receiver to work.

Obviously, there would have been less questioning if it had resulted in a td....but even if we had gotten away with a td there, that is not a situation where you would call that play again. If the same play had been called to the wide side, I wouldn't have questioned it, because the receiver would have had room to run his route away from that safety, as it was the receiver had no where to adjust his route.  You are right, plays are called in the heat of the moment, and I would bet we don't see that same call again in the same situation....and when you watch the tape, it should have been a 100 yard td, it got called back because of a block in back on the QB, but it was not a block in back when watching the tape.

That play is one where they fake a little screen to the wide guy and the slot runs a little wheel route up field.....two problems,  #1 they were faking a screen that they had not run in this game, if they had run it and completed it two or three times, then this play may have been more effective, #2 when you are on the 10 yard line the defense has to play tighter than if in the middle of the field, when you watch the play, with the defense tightened, the wide out running his pattern and the slot trying to slip out in a pattern to the outside, and add to that the fact that it was to the short side of the field, everything just ended up being a big clutter with no room for the receiver to work.

Obviously, there would have been less questioning if it had resulted in a td....but even if we had gotten away with a td there, that is not a situation where you would call that play again. If the same play had been called to the wide side, I wouldn't have questioned it, because the receiver would have had room to run his route away from that safety, as it was the receiver had no where to adjust his route.  You are right, plays are called in the heat of the moment, and I would bet we don't see that same call again in the same situation....and when you watch the tape, it should have been a 100 yard td, it got called back because of a block in back on the QB, but it was not a block in back when watching the tape.

Jake, of course we just get to see things one time in the press box, in real time, but my memory tells me that it seemed like we might have rushed the throw on the play in question.  Of course, I could be "misremembering" but from watching film, is there a chance that if qb delays throw by a second or so, that the play works?  Or was the db laying back waiting on it no matter what?

That play is one where they fake a little screen to the wide guy and the slot runs a little wheel route up field.....two problems, #1 they were faking a screen that they had not run in this game, if they had run it and completed it two or three times, then this play may have been more effective, #2 when you are on the 10 yard line the defense has to play tighter than if in the middle of the field, when you watch the play, with the defense tightened, the wide out running his pattern and the slot trying to slip out in a pattern to the outside, and add to that the fact that it was to the short side of the field, everything just ended up being a big clutter with no room for the receiver to work.

Obviously, there would have been less questioning if it had resulted in a td....but even if we had gotten away with a td there, that is not a situation where you would call that play again. If the same play had been called to the wide side, I wouldn't have questioned it, because the receiver would have had room to run his route away from that safety, as it was the receiver had no where to adjust his route. You are right, plays are called in the heat of the moment, and I would bet we don't see that same call again in the same situation....and when you watch the tape, it should have been a 100 yard td, it got called back because of a block in back on the QB, but it was not a block in back when watching the tape.

Completely understand Jake. If this play is setup off the screen I am going to assume that the slot would be "faking" a stalk block on the corner then releasing up the sideline. I was thinking more along the lines of a slant/wheel combo. Yes I agree, probably would have helped set it up by running the screen a couple of times.

Jake, of course we just get to see things one time in the press box, in real time, but my memory tells me that it seemed like we might have rushed the throw on the play in question.  Of course, I could be "misremembering" but from watching film, is there a chance that if qb delays throw by a second or so, that the play works?  Or was the db laying back waiting on it no matter what?

Safety was just playing centerfield,  it wouldn't have mattered, IMO....he intercepted around the goal line or maybe one yard deep in the end zone and he came up to get it, so there were only nine more yards of field to work with, QB should have thrown it away, but to be honest, I don't think he even saw the safety.  Just to note, coaches have to learn and get experience the same way players do, so I am not saying they are horrible for calling this play, I am just saying if we were going to run that play, it should have been run to the wide side from that spot on the field....