Where Has Riverdale's Once Proud Program Gone?

warrior82dad

I certainly hope he doesn't try to say that the roster size and player quality is due to the additional schools opening. The Boro has grown over 12k new residents since 2010 with a vast majority of that growth on the Blackman Riverdale side of town. Rezoning might get a player here and there, but that would not explain away the roster size. If you think size of roster would also mean better selection of players. In fact the student body is up from 2100 to just over 2200 this year.

What? What? The 'defenders' will now pounce on you as the anointed one cannot be questioned and it is NOT his fault.

Don't believe it? Just ask him. Maybe you will get a straight answer.

Will hit both Oakland and R'dale with Oakland being hit hardest. I would not look for it anytime soon though. The money isn't there and the voters would not like yet another hike in the wheel tax that was supposed to be 'temporary' back in 1970. It has not been announced when it runs out since then. Go to Coffee County and your car tag is $26.50 instead of the $70+ ours is.

Wow just wow what a difference, seems riverdale zoning if I understand correctly gets hit every time

So as the SID in your opinion why have the numbers of players and depth fallen off along with the lack of size in the players? What in the program has changed when it come to player development since 94?

In my humble opinion, yours might vary, we are living in a different generation than 1994. I still do not understand the fixation with numbers for a high school football team.  When my son played, he was one of two kickers on his team. His job was kick kickoffs into the endzone. Another kicker's job was make the extra points. That was depth.  But about 30-40(?) kids standing on the sideline at MTSU on a Friday night never set foot on the field.    The 5'7, 140 lb 7th string senior DB was never going to play a snap.

Fast forward 20 years.   Riverdale now offers rugby, ultimate frisbee, archery, and other activities that did not exist in 1994.  The 5'7, 140 lb DB is now running cross-country.   Kids have cell phones, video games and social media.   This is a different generation of kids with a different work ethic and outlook on life.   The kid that was happy just wearing a uniform 20 years ago is the kid that turns that uniform in at the first sign of adversity or lack of playing time today.

I walk the halls at Riverdale every day.  I can assure you there is no 6'4, 240 lb, , 4.8 forty players wandering the halls and not playing football. 

If other schools have 90+ dressing out, I do not know their secret.  I do know that 40-50 of those 90 will probably never play a snap under the lights on a Friday night.

I posted last year how Riverdale's zone has changed. I watch kids on Tuesday night's playing middle school games that would be zoned Riverdale 5 years ago and now they are not.  When my son played from 94-97 playing at Eagleville was not an option.  Imagine adding Eagleville's roster to Riverdale's today.  That probably bumps the numbers up.  But some of those kids at Eagleville are at Eagleville for the smaller school experience and/or the hope of playing on Friday's instead of sitting the bench behind someone at Riverdale.

Pop Quiz!  Name another school in our county where kids have an option on which school to attend????

I am now in my 21st year at Riverdale.  I love the place. I love the people. I love our program.  We have an amazing faculty, a great coaching staff and awesome young men and women as students.   Yes, we have around 2,000 students.  But those 2,000 students have far more options today than they had 20 years ago.  I have the great privilege of working with all 2,000 of them, whether they play a sport or not.   And if I do bump into a 6'4, 240 lb young man with zero body fat one day, I might ask him if he has ever considered playing football or baseball?   :thumb:

Edited by davidlimbaugh
  • Upvote 1

In my humble opinion, yours might vary, we are living in a different generation than 1994. I still do not understand the fixation with numbers for a high school football team.  When my son played, he was one of two kickers on his team. His job was kick kickoffs into the endzone. Another kicker's job was make the extra points. That was depth.  But about 30-40(?) kids standing on the sideline at MTSU on a Friday night never set foot on the field.    The 5'7, 140 lb 7th string senior DB was never going to play a snap.

Fast forward 20 years.   Riverdale now offers rugby, ultimate frisbee, archery, and other activities that did not exist in 1994.  The 5'7, 140 lb DB is now running cross-country.   Kids have cell phones, video games and social media.   This is a different generation of kids with a different work ethic and outlook on life.   The kid that was happy just wearing a uniform 20 years ago is the kid that turns that uniform in at the first sign of adversity or lack of playing time today.

I walk the halls at Riverdale every day.  I can assure you there is no 6'4, 240 lb, , 4.8 forty players wandering the halls and not playing football. 

If other schools have 90+ dressing out, I do not know their secret.  I do know that 40-50 of those 90 will probably never play a snap under the lights on a Friday night.

I posted last year how Riverdale's zone has changed. I watch kids on Tuesday night's playing middle school games that would be zoned Riverdale 5 years ago and now they are not.  When my son played from 94-97 playing at Eagleville was not an option.  Imagine adding Eagleville's roster to Riverdale's today.  That probably bumps the numbers up.  But some of those kids at Eagleville are at Eagleville for the smaller school experience and/or the hope of playing on Friday's instead of sitting the bench behind someone at Riverdale.

Pop Quiz!  Name another school in our county where kids have an option on which school to attend????

I am now in my 21st year at Riverdale.  I love the place. I love the people. I love our program.  We have an amazing faculty, a great coaching staff and awesome young men and women as students.   Yes, we have around 2,000 students.  But those 2,000 students have far more options today than they had 20 years ago.  I have the great privilege of working with all 2,000 of them, whether they play a sport or not.   And if I do bump into a 6'4, 240 lb young man with zero body fat one day, I might ask him if he has ever considered playing football or baseball?   :thumb:

GO WARRIORS :hungry:  :hungry:  :hungry:

In my humble opinion, yours might vary, we are living in a different generation than 1994. I still do not understand the fixation with numbers for a high school football team. When my son played, he was one of two kickers on his team. His job was kick kickoffs into the endzone. Another kicker's job was make the extra points. That was depth. But about 30-40(?) kids standing on the sideline at MTSU on a Friday night never set foot on the field. The 5'7, 140 lb 7th string senior DB was never going to play a snap.

Fast forward 20 years. Riverdale now offers rugby, ultimate frisbee, archery, and other activities that did not exist in 1994. The 5'7, 140 lb DB is now running cross-country. Kids have cell phones, video games and social media. This is a different generation of kids with a different work ethic and outlook on life. The kid that was happy just wearing a uniform 20 years ago is the kid that turns that uniform in at the first sign of adversity or lack of playing time today.

I walk the halls at Riverdale every day. I can assure you there is no 6'4, 240 lb, , 4.8 forty players wandering the halls and not playing football.

If other schools have 90+ dressing out, I do not know their secret. I do know that 40-50 of those 90 will probably never play a snap under the lights on a Friday night.

I posted last year how Riverdale's zone has changed. I watch kids on Tuesday night's playing middle school games that would be zoned Riverdale 5 years ago and now they are not. When my son played from 94-97 playing at Eagleville was not an option. Imagine adding Eagleville's roster to Riverdale's today. That probably bumps the numbers up. But some of those kids at Eagleville are at Eagleville for the smaller school experience and/or the hope of playing on Friday's instead of sitting the bench behind someone at Riverdale.

Pop Quiz! Name another school in our county where kids have an option on which school to attend????

I am now in my 21st year at Riverdale. I love the place. I love the people. I love our program. We have an amazing faculty, a great coaching staff and awesome young men and women as students. Yes, we have around 2,000 students. But those 2,000 students have far more options today than they had 20 years ago. I have the great privilege of working with all 2,000 of them, whether they play a sport or not. And if I do bump into a 6'4, 240 lb young man with zero body fat one day, I might ask him if he has ever considered playing football or baseball? :thumb:

Great post David!!!

I agree with some of your points, as I agree with LOD on some of his points.

The main thing about it is that we are Riverdale fans. Whether we agree or disagree with one another or the coaches, we need to support the kids that wear the Spear on their gold helmet.

Edited by 34Defense

You ever see a team that was 4 deep on the sidelines from the 30 to the other 30?

I have and it is NOT like that now at R'dale. Now it takes the freshmen also dressing out with the varsity to be one to two deep on the sidelines from the 40 to the other 40.

While talking to a group of players at a restaurant one night they all said the starters practiced and the rest stood around. They also knew NOTHING about the once proud tradition of going to the championship 5 years in a row.

TELL the kids about a program to be proud of. They are NOT getting that now.

Well, this is more anecdotal evidence about team size and work ethic rather than team accomplishment.

If your assumption is true, who do you think it harms?