Where Has Riverdale's Once Proud Program Gone?

warrior82dad

Many schools have made their runs through the years, Oak Ridge in the 80's

Cleveland in the 90's, Riverdale 00's. Maryville, 10's, there have been many

others, all these programs all still very good programs, you have to have lots of things in place for teams to make runs like these did, players, coaches, community support, administration support, central office support, it all has to come together to make it happen. Riverdale is still a great program they finished third in there tough district last year, remember nothing lasts forever.

So in your opinion why did Rankin leave Riverdale when he did?

Because he 'thought' it was a sure thing he could get a job at a premium out of state school like either Valdosta or Hoover or a private that payed BIG so he could double dip.  When they did not come thru Alcoa bailed him out with another in state job with the advantage of having to teach NO classes.

The other reason was that the Superintendent of schools that always covered him was retiring.

Folks that had REAL GOOD connections that did not like him more than I did kept him from getting the Valdosta job.

Now as to keeping him, want him AND Wells at Blackman if they are so good?  I WOULD like an answer to this.

I think Rankin left because he knew the county was expanding and the talent would be dispersed. He may have also wanted a more premier job but he doesn't need money.

That's pretty close, IMO.  The politics of keeping the Riverdale program together probably just became too much.  You had a lot of forces trying to slow down Riverdale and fewer people each year helping.

I still have all kind of problems with the new schools argument.  Riverdale is still one of the largest schools in the state.  Riverdale just no longer attracts the best athletes as they see a better program and better opportunity at other Murfreesboro schools.   How the football program is perceived is the responsibility of the head coach.

The stands were only half full for Riverdale's home opener...that should tell you a lot.  The place should have been packed. I was there for the home opener and I'm a pretty disillusioned fan.  A couple thousand others just no longer bother at all.

TDC you are right about the enrollment and about not attracting the top athletes anymore.  You are also right about that being the responsibility of the head coach.  I think there are many factors here and you hit a big one.  Kids used to flock to Riverdale because it was a dominant program under Rankin.  He built that program's expectations to a whole new level.  I think he saw that the program had reached a plateau and there was no where to go but down.  I think when Coach A was hired kids were skeptical because Coach A is not Rankin.  I think it would have been the same with anyone.  Some kids probably lost interest in Riverdale when Coach A was hired because some do not think the wing-t is a fun offense to run and because of the lack of receiver play.  Add in the fact that Riverdale had down years and you see the programs fall.  Coach A is a good coach at what he does.  He is a proven coach whose record is one of the best in the state.  However, unless you are Maryville, no one in 6A should realistically get the notion that they should win the gold ball every year or even make it to the game.  This is the part that gets me.  Ninety percent of the schools in 6A probably wish they had Riverdale's record since Coach A has been there.  This is why some fans are not all there so to speak.  Glad you still support your team.  All teams need that kind of support.