Week 5: Science Hill at Brentwood Academy

voltnh

I don't see that happening if Malik McGue plays the whole game. He plays a lot like Johnny Manziel or Michael Vick did in college. Not saying he's quite that good but has the same effect on a game. He's a legit D1 player. As I understand it last week against Sea-Gull he threw for 4 td's, ran for one and caught a td pass. Science Hill's offense is very good. The Defense has problems at times. 

I didn't know SH's quarterback was that good,It should be interesting if he plays. Who carries Science Hill games on the radio? I'd like to keep up with this one.

910am WJCW carries the Toppers. I don’t see the beat down happening that they experienced last year at the hands of the Eagles, but this one could get ugly if they don’t get out of the gate the way they have in previous games earlier this year. BA will be looking to right the ship this week, but won’t use their injuries as an excuse to not play at their full potential.

The Toppers may be the best 6A team this side of Blount County, but that is yet to be determined as well, there’s a 50/50 chance that they are. That being said, past years and streaks don’t mean crap, it still all comes down to when and what round they meet Maryville, and if they get there at all. The result is the same, no gold ball comes back to JC. It’s a pipe dream, and it’s still not the caliber of football played across the rest of the state, just sayin ….. BA 35 – SH 20

910am WJCW carries the Toppers. I don’t see the beat down happening that they experienced last year at the hands of the Eagles, but this one could get ugly if they don’t get out of the gate the way they have in previous games earlier this year. BA will be looking to right the ship this week, but won’t use their injuries as an excuse to not play at their full potential.

The Toppers may be the best 6A team this side of Blount County, but that is yet to be determined as well, there’s a 50/50 chance that they are. That being said, past years and streaks don’t mean crap, it still all comes down to when and what round they meet Maryville, and if they get there at all. The result is the same, no gold ball comes back to JC. It’s a pipe dream, and it’s still not the caliber of football played across the rest of the state, just sayin ….. BA 35 – SH 20

The same can be said for the rest of the state. Depends on what round you meet Maryville. You just get to last a few weeks longer because your not going to meet them in the early rounds. just sayin

If you guys think BA will shut down McGue it's not happening. He was avg 10 yards a carry last year when he went out of the game.

He can't beat Ba by himself but he is the type of QB that can give Ba fits. Our d line has 3 6'3 300 pounders who are very athletic and we add missing a starting 6'4 280 pound lineman. They will get pressure but not fast enough to contain the SH QB

I am sticking to my prediction that this will be a high flying affair with over 1000 yards of offense. Last week against mba Ba had 670 yards of total offense and mba 500 plus. I like hard noised defensive games myself but I just don't see it in this game.

I personally would like to see both teams come out and play the best ball of the year

Edited by baylorbigdog1976
  • Upvote 1

McGue's stats while gaudy, are a bit misleading. He has several receivers that can take it to the house. His athleticism buys him time and one of Mathes, Holley, Patton, or White is getting open. You can't come up to make a play because those guys are so dangerous. If they need tough yards Bedard can be a hammer. An issue to me is when Bedard is QB he looks for #11. SH is very deep on skill players with TJ or even Sutton. Trey has made a difference in D but some team will catch him out of place on his run blitz.

I believe we haven't seen what this D can do. The offense is so potent they can be a bit gambling. They are bendable up front and teams have sustained drives. SH needs better competition. DB should relish SH being strong regardless of what the trolls think. A strong SH helps their program.

This is their year. There we will be some drop next year but Carter has the kids fired up...hopefully he keeps the pipeline full like Clark can do at DB.

Sonny Moore Computer Rankings (Home gets 2 pts.)

SH   139.69

BA   147.33

BA by   9.64

----------------

DB   136.75

O     136.11

DB by   2.64

----------------

TH   117.24

Eliz  120.25

Eliz by  5.01

----------------

SS   120.23   

DB   109.12

SS by  13.11

McGue's stats while gaudy, are a bit misleading. He has several receivers that can take it to the house. His athleticism buys him time and one of Mathes, Holley, Patton, or White is getting open. You can't come up to make a play because those guys are so dangerous. If they need tough yards Bedard can be a hammer. An issue to me is when Bedard is QB he looks for #11. SH is very deep on skill players with TJ or even Sutton. Trey has made a difference in D but some team will catch him out of place on his run blitz.

I believe we haven't seen what this D can do. The offense is so potent they can be a bit gambling. They are bendable up front and teams have sustained drives. SH needs better competition. DB should relish SH being strong regardless of what the trolls think. A strong SH helps their program.

This is their year. There we will be some drop next year but Carter has the kids fired up...hopefully he keeps the pipeline full like Clark can do at DB.

I agree with you on the passing yards many have been yards after the catch but there is no doubt Malik is special finding guys running free after the play breaks down.  He has also been able to avoid taking hits on runs which he needs to do as he certainly is not a big enough kid to stay in bounds and absorb a hit.

Regarding when Bedard plays QB if you look at the film they line up trips with Malik opposite and he is told to find Malik.  The other receivers don't run full routes but are told to work open if Malik does not work open.  That is what happened when he hit Patton on the 63 yrd TD against Eliz.  Basically if they single or double cover Malik he has been told to throw it up and let Malik go get it, if triple covered roll and find a secondary receiver.

I think this is a very talented group for SH but team chemistry could and should be much better, there are a number of senior stars that should be leaders but they have chosen a different path.  If you look at next years team the scoring leaders through 4 games has a lot of juniors and the defense has a good number of Sophomores either starting or playing important minutes.  I think SH will have a very solid team next year assuming everyone is healthy, they will not however be this deep.  This is the junior/senior class that SH people have been talking about since Jr. Topper days, can you imagine if Jacque Bruce and a few others from that group were still in JC playing for the Toppers...

I think SH will be prepared to play and give BA a solid effort.   I also believe unlike last year the kids do believe they belong on the field with BA.   If they can continue the first quarter scoring I think it will be a close game and SH will have a chance to play.  If the defense gives up some big plays early and drop their heads it will be a long night.  Hey the first hurdle to winning is believing you can and the kids believe they can so now they need to believe it on the field.

Go Toppers!

Are you guys saying that McGue is actually better on a busted play than on a designed play where everything goes right?

When he scrambles it is not necessarily a busted play but designed.  If you take a look at the Siegal play where he scrambled back through the end zone and hit Patton for a 80+ yard touchdown the play starts as a roll right with the fullback blocking on the roll.  The primary was covered and he rolled back across the field and found the secondary receiver.   In the two years he has played varsity QB there have been very few pass plays where he had a traditional pocket drop and read.  He typically has a primary read and then moves to scramble which has been designed for a number of reasons.   Some are busted plays but some are designed and so go as planned

Sonny Moore Computer Rankings (Home gets 2 pts.)

SH   139.69

BA   147.33

BA by   9.64

----------------

DB   136.75

O     136.11

DB by   2.64

----------------

TH   117.24

Eliz  120.25

Eliz by  5.01

----------------

SS   120.23   

DB   109.12

SS by  13.1                                                                                                                   I'll take these odds

Edited by BatmanDB

I agree with you on the passing yards many have been yards after the catch but there is no doubt Malik is special finding guys running free after the play breaks down. He has also been able to avoid taking hits on runs which he needs to do as he certainly is not a big enough kid to stay in bounds and absorb a hit.

Regarding when Bedard plays QB if you look at the film they line up trips with Malik opposite and he is told to find Malik. The other receivers don't run full routes but are told to work open if Malik does not work open. That is what happened when he hit Patton on the 63 yrd TD against Eliz. Basically if they single or double cover Malik he has been told to throw it up and let Malik go get it, if triple covered roll and find a secondary receiver.

I think this is a very talented group for SH but team chemistry could and should be much better, there are a number of senior stars that should be leaders but they have chosen a different path. If you look at next years team the scoring leaders through 4 games has a lot of juniors and the defense has a good number of Sophomores either starting or playing important minutes. I think SH will have a very solid team next year assuming everyone is healthy, they will not however be this deep. This is the junior/senior class that SH people have been talking about since Jr. Topper days, can you imagine if Jacque Bruce and a few others from that group were still in JC playing for the Toppers...

I think SH will be prepared to play and give BA a solid effort. I also believe unlike last year the kids do believe they belong on the field with BA. If they can continue the first quarter scoring I think it will be a close game and SH will have a chance to play. If the defense gives up some big plays early and drop their heads it will be a long night. Hey the first hurdle to winning is believing you can and the kids believe they can so now they need to believe it on the field.

Go Toppers!

Well said. Thanks.