Could Fulton compete or beat Maryville?

HeHatemeNOT

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulton has had great teams these last 2 seasons. I respect their posters a lot. I think last year Maryville would win. Maryville had one of their better teams last year. Maryville was overlooked last season because of Fulton killing teams and the Ensworth Scrimmage. I think another thing in Maryville's favor last year was a much tougher schedule than Fulton.

This year Maryville is awesome on defense. I think Maryville's defense would give Fulton problems. On the other side Fulton's defense would cause Maryville problems also. Fulton's speed would give Maryville fits. If they played this week I may have to favor Fulton because of Maryville's starting QB being hurt. But! With GQ and the staff I would never count Maryville out.

Okay seriously now... I don't know enough about Fulton to say much one way or the other about how they'd do based on their own merits. I will say this, if you ask most Maryville folks, they're going to say that you're not going to beat Maryville by out-scheming or out-executing them. That's the whole point of pride about being a precision machine thing, everyone knows exactly what their job is and goes and does it without screwing up, game after game, year in and year out.

In recent history when Maryville loses a big game, it seems like it's almost always because they come up against a team with overwhelming talent, some player there's just no answer for. It's been that way since way before Coach Quarles, too. When Don Story was coach Maryville had a fine team in 1986 that didn't lose a game, except two against an Austin East team that'd later put Leroy Thompson in the NFL. When Tim Hammontree was coach, Maryville lost a title game to a Pearl Cohn team that had Santonio Beard and John Henderson on it. More recently, Mark Dodson looked pretty unstoppable for Whitehaven.

I would absolutely love to see Maryville play more games against teams that could go toe to toe based on X's and O's, just a solid bunch of kids who play fundamentally sound ball, with maybe a sprinking of standout D1-type athletes from time to time. Is Fulton one of those? Y'all tell me! I genuinely don't know. That 2009 game that Maryville lost to Alcoa, where the Tornados basically said "hey we're going to just run it down your throat and there's nothing you can do about it"? That's about the last time I can think of that Maryville was just plain whipped, and not out-athleted at some skill position.

Anyway I'm with Photoman lol, just happy to see another dominant team out of the east. Other than knowing Xavier Hawkins went to Oregon State, and that Fulton's third string seems to put up as many points as their first against most teams, I don't know much about them.

I understand that Quarles is a great coach and his teams arewinning machines, despite not having overwhelming talent, but can someone explain to me why it seems that year after year the best football players in a city with 3 high schools of similar size (within 200 students) all seem to end up at Maryville the smallest of the 3?

Keep in mind only within the last few years can this even be a discussion. 2010 Fulton were 7-5. 2011 they were 8-5 and shut out by Greeneville in the qtr finals. 2012 is when they flipped the switch and wen 13-2 followed by last years 15-0 State championship run. So Fulton hasn't been world beaters up until a few years ago. They seem to be stronger obviously and and since this is hypothetical I feel Fulton could keep it close for the first half but Maryville would pull away in the 2nd half.

And you're bringing so much to the table ... lol , I could care less what anyone thinks about Maryville and Fulton , you just gave me a laugh by throwing scores out there and thinking you could predict what would happen ... Here's a newsflash for you and my " beloved Rebels " ... I always think Maryville is going to win against anyone .... every 2 or 3 years I get surprised , the rest of the time I don't .... Being a Maryville fan is fun , I'm not upset about anything at all :mrgreen:

Catholic beat Hardin valley 38 - 0. That means catholic would beat murvil by 21 at least