Gallatin vs Lebanon

MJGOLDENBEARS

How?  No support from the top administrator a.k.a. "Principal."  You don't have an administrator that will hire teachers who can also coach, you have a problem.  At Lebanon right now, Harp doesn't even have enough position coaches.  Is that not a problem?  If someone can argue this, just look at your good programs.  Count the coaches and see how many are on staff, in and out of school.  This is not the only problem Lebanon is facing, but it would be one heck of a start in getting Lebanon back on track.  Better yet, go around to a handfull of head coaches, who have sucessful programs in Lebanon's area and ask if they would be statisfied with a six man staff. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect workinprogress.  And MJGOLDENBEARS you make a very valid point.  Maintaing a level of interaction with the younger groups is imperative for a high school football program.  That leads us to another entirely different subject though.  One of the middle school programs is coached by previous LHS football staff.  From what I "HEARD" only, there is still animosity toward LHS for letting the coach go.  But that is based on speculation.  Overall, there is really no excuse for Lebanon not to be a competive program.  Whom ever mentioned it earlier, it will be years before LHS is competing again.  There again, no disrespect taken or attempted back toward workinprogress.  Good luck to everyone tonight and be safe.

Corndilly none taken.  I was just curious.  I live in Wilson County and go to church right down the road from the campus.  I know there is at least some talent around there just didn't know why they couldn't win.  Harp seems like a good coach and all. 

Just know the problems that Lebanon has is an everyday thing in a nearby county right down I40. 

wow not many years that at least of one these schools is a force.  this is like the Red Sox and Yankees not making the playoffs

You mean Gallatin... Because Lebanon hasn't done anything for the last 6-7 years. They are something like 17-49 since 2008 and have only won a total of 3 games the last 3 years. They went 1-9 last year and if they don't beat Portland might go 0-10 this year. 

Lebanon is years away from being a good team.

They have so many problems I don't know how they would even begin to turn it around.... 

They went out and got a really good coach and look at the team. The problem obviously wasn't the coaching because coach Harp's record is something like 1-15 since taking over the program. You look at his background he knows his stuff. If the problem had been coaching you would have seen an immediate difference.... That hasn't been the case. 

I have a ton of ties inside the school system and program. They just don't have the talent getting into the system and seeing it through and that is gonna be extremely difficult to change. They just don't have a good football culture right now. 

(1) Younger players in high school and especially middle school see how bad the high school team is and it causes some to drop out early. Alot of these younger kids quit before they can even get started because they don't want to be part of a losing program. I've seen quite a few kids with talent quit football to go play basketball or baseball. 

(2) Look at the middle schools that feed into LHS. You got Walter J. Baird, Winfree Bryant and Carroll Oakland. Walter J. Baird has a solid football program. Winfree Bryant and Carroll Oakland have nothing.... Winfree Bryant just got a good coach this year and are trying to turn it around but the talent just isn't there. Winfree Bryant won 2 games the last 2 years. And Carroll Oakland I can't remember them winning a game the last couple years. 

(3) In my opinion one of the biggest things holding Lebanon HIgh School from turning around is Friendship Christian. Anybody seen Mike Jones Jr. play? The kid tore it up in middle school as a 7th grader at Quarterback for Walter J. Baird. In 8th grade he got chosen to play in the Youth All-American game in Texas. His dad played in the NFL. He went to Friendship Christian. They had a running back they called Speedy last year at Walter J. Baird that could run all over that field. He went to Friendship Christian. Winfree Bryant 2 years ago had a 8th grader that was pretty much already a grown man and a freakish athlete. Him and his younger brothers went to Friendship Christian. Etc. Etc.

The kids that are very talented and really want to play football are going to Friendship Christian because they feel they will get more exposure with a winning program. It isn't gonna get any easier if kids from Friendship start going to big schools. Like the quarterback last year AJ Long. He had scholarship offers from UCLA, Notre Dame and Syracuse. I believe he ended up going to Syracuse. As a kid wanting to play football you see that and then look at Lebanon with a combined 3-23 record the last 3 years.... Where are you gonna want to go play? 

Look at the broad spectrum of things. Lebanon is a huge city, with a variety of races. The perfect mixture for producing good athletes. Yet they just don't seem to be doing so. It starts somewhere, coaches have to get better at recruiting/ coaching the youth.

No disrespect workinprogress.  And MJGOLDENBEARS you make a very valid point.  Maintaing a level of interaction with the younger groups is imperative for a high school football program.  That leads us to another entirely different subject though.  One of the middle school programs is coached by previous LHS football staff.  From what I "HEARD" only, there is still animosity toward LHS for letting the coach go.  But that is based on speculation.  Overall, there is really no excuse for Lebanon not to be a competive program.  Whom ever mentioned it earlier, it will be years before LHS is competing again.  There again, no disrespect taken or attempted back toward workinprogress.  Good luck to everyone tonight and be safe.

They have taken steps to improve the program. Its just that they are sooooo far behind its gonna be hard to catch back up. 

- They hired coach Harp at the high school an experienced championship caliber coach. 

- They hired a pretty good coach at Winfree Bryant to help that program. 

- They put weight rooms/programs in at both Winfree Bryant and Walter J. Baird to get them working out earlier. 

That staff that is referenced above about holding a grudge against LHS. There is no animosity to my knowledge and they do an amazing job coaching those kids. Of all the middle schools that feed into LHS they are by far the best. 

Something else that I don't think many people think about.... Lebanon High School is part of the County school system. The two biggest middle schools that fed into LHS are Winfree Bryant and Walter J. Baird they are part of the Lebanon City school system. So when the middle schools hire teachers and coaches it isn't their responsibility to make sure these kids are getting ready for high school athletics in a different school system.