Obion County in NWTN.

ToBeHonest

Magnet schools in nashville select and deny kids every day,  is that how UC does it. mrobjective mentioned UC magnet program, how does that work?

Magnet schools "select" students via the application/lottery system, no "handpicking" happening. I believe that UC has an interschool magnet program, several schools do and it enrolls/involves only current UC students. You're grasping straws dan...just do as BPM suggested and log on to the school website. Better yet, ask the AD from your own system some of these questions, most of it is common knowledge, and it's all public information.

Magnet schools "select" students via the application/lottery system, no "handpicking" happening. I believe that UC has an interschool magnet program, several schools do and it enrolls/involves only current UC students. You're grasping straws dan...just do as BPM suggested and log on to the school website. Better yet, ask the AD from your own system some of these questions, most of it is common knowledge, and it's all public information.

If he wants answers that's ok. Now he knows where to get them. But to keep poking from this point forward would just be stirring the pot to get a rise out of people. That would make him a troll.

so what if all the parents decided to send their kids to UC?  would they build on and  add more teachers?  and then what if the next year they all decided to go back to obion c.? i can promise you there is some criteria that ensures UC only has a certain number of students.   

No criteria dan...how fast would some mad parent contact a lawyer if their child was denied enrollment at UC to provide space for an athlete?...fast I can tell you. Parents are fickle creatures...I guarantee you that the biggest UC fan in the world would turn on them in a heartbeat if their child was shunned by the administration there. Union City has made some economic strides in the recent past, and with the "upgrades" in the area, I expect that in two years the student population to be well into the current 2AA class in football, and maybe in the near future even higher.

Don't mistake me for a local...I'm not, but I do understand the impossibility of cultivating the "system" that you are implying exists. No public school has the ability to restrict enrollment to anyone eligible (county citizen in an open zone)  as long as there are facilities to acommodate them, much less athletes, who are under constant scrutiny by the public...even the local public.

There is a simple answer here. There are students in UC that choose to go to OCCHS, but there is also a minority of Union City area students that are, in fact, turned away from the city school system. If the Hispanic students in Union City were allowed admission, the enrollment would be over the Class A ranking that Union City enjoys. This is done under the guise of not having the budget to hire Spanish speaking teachers. Union City School System is only open zoned when it benefits the system. Affluent parents within the county and surrounding counties can send their children to UC, no questions, as long as their wallet is fat enough.

There is a simple answer here. There are students in UC that choose to go to OCCHS, but there is also a minority of Union City area students that are, in fact, turned away from the city school system. If the Hispanic students in Union City were allowed admission, the enrollment would be over the Class A ranking that Union City enjoys. This is done under the guise of not having the budget to hire Spanish speaking teachers. Union City School System is only open zoned when it benefits the system. Affluent parents within the county and surrounding counties can send their children to UC, no questions, as long as their wallet is fat enough.

OK, you piqued my interest so I took my own advice and looked it up...policy has three articles pertaining to potential discrimination of student admission...also has a downloadable form to file a complaint, with the only criteria listed..."must be signed". If you know anyone personally who has been declined, and would like to assist them in filing an official complaint, there's you're answer.

For the "fat wallet" portion of your post, there exist's policy that states (paraphrase)...anyone not residing within the natural zone (city?) may submit an application before the school years inception...to transfer during the school year, the application has to be approved both by the school applied to, and the school transferring from. No mention was made of tuition, but policy did state that no student would be accepted out of zone that required the hire of additional personel (there are state regulations pertaining to student-teacher ratio's).

Hope that helps.

why does poking around make me a troll?  i just find it unusual for a city that size to be able to remain single a with all their success and their facilities. i would think more students would pour in . when this doesnt happen it makes me think they have some system that keeps the numbers down.  thanks OCRebel for enlightening me.  I am sure they are killing your program. They could win 2a just as easy as 1a so that really doesnt matter.  i actually think they would beat every one in 3a with the exception of Alcoa

why does poking around make me a troll?  i just find it unusual for a city that size to be able to remain single a with all their success and their facilities. i would think more students would pour in . when this doesnt happen it makes me think they have some system that keeps the numbers down.  thanks OCRebel for enlightening me.  I am sure they are killing your program. They could win 2a just as easy as 1a so that really doesnt matter.  i actually think they would beat every one in 3a with the exception of Alcoa

They just might give Alcoa a decent game too dan. If the enrollment doesn't rise much in the next classification period, I'll be surprised.

The comments about the Hispanic students are news to me. UC school system has about a 50% minority enrollment. OC system probably has about 5 to 10% minority enrollment. Maybe the answer for Big Dan's questioning is to poll the OC parents and ask them why they don't send their children to UC.

I think that bigdan is trying to get to the bottom of something that just isn't there. I'm not so wet behind the ears that I'd say that nothing a little bit "shady" has never been done at UC to ever enroll a good prospect...just as most everyone else has done. What I'm pretty confident in saying is that there's not a big recruiting scandal waiting to be exposed. Coach Bowling is "famous" within the coaching ranks for working his players very, very hard, and taking advantage of every opportunity to get work in, be it practice rep's, weight room, ect...and it is showing up on the field. I don't know anything about OCRebelNation, and won't jump to conclusions...I will say that the content of their post sounds like some sour grapes, but maybe there's some truth...what should happen is outlined, obtain the form, submit it to the administration, and go to the TSSAA if it involves athletics...not posting accusations and speculation while the kids prepare to play for a state championship. If the kids best interest is the focus, why was these accusations not made three years ago when UC was mediocre? They have worked hard to be where they are, the program is in a good situation, and the parents/kids have every right to select UC over OC if they wish. 

No accusations of any wrong doing have been made.  I happen to believe they have a huge advantage because of the way the schools are set up in Obion co.  we know the advantage privates have, and open zones like Alcoa and Maryville, but union cty keeps thumping their chest and acting like it is "just" hard work that got them where they are.  I would contend that it is hard work , good coaching and having a population 3 to 4 times larger than the other schools in 1A.  I just wish they were playing in 3a this year to see them beat CPA and then face Alcoa.  this conversation is not on their thread so dont get all sympathetic and act like its crushing some poor kids self esteem.  

No accusations of any wrong doing have been made.  I happen to believe they have a huge advantage because of the way the schools are set up in Obion co.  we know the advantage privates have, and open zones like Alcoa and Maryville, but union cty keeps thumping their chest and acting like it is "just" hard work that got them where they are.  I would contend that it is hard work , good coaching and having a population 3 to 4 times larger than the other schools in 1A.  I just wish they were playing in 3a this year to see them beat CPA and then face Alcoa.  this conversation is not on their thread so dont get all sympathetic and act like its crushing some poor kids self esteem.  

I'm not trying to be hard on you dan...OCRN made some bold statements with no foundation, that accounted for that part of my post. I really don't understand how some of the bigger towns, smaller cities, however you'd like to say it, has 1A and 2AA student populations either. Scotts Hill (my alma mater) has 500 students (give or take)...no WalMart, no Sonic, no franchise of any sort other than a Dollar Store, and some (most actually) have many or all these, and when money matters you can bank on the stat's...stat's that are used by company management to determine where these franchises are placed. I'm a firm believer that school systems should be open zoned...the taxpaying public have the right to select the education that their money has bought for their children in my eyes, and more often than not (statistics confirm this) the small 1 and two A schools preform better academically than larger ones do. Back to the topic...I can easily understand your concern...been to Union City several times, and you can get lost there( city limits) if you're not careful...from the looks of the town you'd think that the population would support a 3 or 4 A high school...but it is what it is, and like I've said...if some shenannagens are going on someone will blow the whistle.